Fernando Torres

Robbie

Torres was phenomenal, and I'm not talking about this blue fairy. I'm talking about Liverpool's #9. The one that terrorised defences, attacked the ball and burst into space. When he was on the pitch, you knew he would score.

Deserved a premier league winners medal in 08/09, and damn near got one too.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
He was phenomenal for one year. In 07/08 he was maybe the best striker in Europe.

After that he never could stay healthy enough to be relied on.

One year is not enough to make him world class. This puts him in the same league as players like Diego Tristan and Roque Santa Cruz.

zanela

Zanela before posting this:

117hdg6.gif

Edit: Furia is the closet :D

I'm not quite sure what that gif is suppose to mean..:lol:

One, I'm not scantily dressed at the moment and La Furia is physically too far away to be my closet. He also supports my statement and not oppose it which renders your gif unsuitable to the context. :p

Robbie

He was world class in 08/09 as well, and helped Liverpool reach a very close 2nd place, missing out on the title by a mere handful of points. That whole Liverpool team then was completely different to what they have now. Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Hyypia. A solid backbone of world class players, but bad luck and dropping a few silly points cost them the trophy they were hunting for years.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
He was world class in 08/09 as well, and helped Liverpool reach a very close 2nd place, missing out on the title by a mere handful of points. That whole Liverpool team then was completely different to what they have now. Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Hyypia. A solid backbone of world class players, but bad luck and dropping a few silly points cost them the trophy they were hunting for years.

He was injured way too much that season. He was also a non-factor in Europe.

That was the best Liverpool team in years but it was always an illusion. No coincidence that was the last year Gerard was good.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Torres was magnificent for 4 years: 03/04, and then 2007-2009.

had he moved after 03/04 to Barcelona or Madrid or wherever, then he probably would have gone on to rival Henry as the most talented striker of the decade. he would have been peerless. but he stayed at Atleti and stagnated like crazy 'til the move to Liverpool.

and you'd haveta be a real idiot (or really bitter) to suggest he wasn't World-Class during that second period. it was one of those cases where a great player lands in the perfect situation for him and just takes the fuck off. but Liverpool rode him too hard, and injuries broke him. that started in 08/09 (and that team wasn't an illusion, it was magnificent and built on Xabi & Badger running the show in the middle).

now while he appears to have recovered some of his touch and drive, his goalscoring form appears to have truly deserted him. he looks like the player he did at Atleti after 03/04 again. it's so sad what injuries have done to him. Benitez broke him.

(as an aside, that's why it was crucial we signed Cesc now. Wenger would have done the same to him).

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
It's not a matter of bitterness. Torres only had 1 truly dominant season, and a couple more good ones.

Tristán was a downright scary from 1999 to 2003, and then he imploded. Yet in retrospect you never hear him called World Class.
Like Torres he had one absolutely dominant season and a couple of very good ones.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Tristán was a downright scary from 1999 to 2003, and then he imploded. Yet in retrospect you never hear him called World Class.
Like Torres he had one absolutely dominant season and a couple of very good ones.

man, United vs. Depor games in that era were fucking awesome.

Tristan scoring twice at OT in a win. :worthy:

Beckham chipping Molina from 40 yards at the Riazor! :worthy:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well there's a reason I'm a La Liga addict, and it has something to do with starting to seriously follow club football in early 2000s.

Galning

I'm not quite sure what that gif is suppose to mean..:lol:

One, I'm not scantily dressed at the moment and La Furia is physically too far away to be my closet. He also supports my statement and not oppose it which renders your gif unsuitable to the context. :p

It means you smashed your head and Furia got smashed, whatever body part :p

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Well there's a reason I'm a La Liga addict, and it has something to do with starting to seriously follow club football in early 2000s.

or how about these two beauties to turn around a 0-1 deficit at the Riazor.

I don't need to tell you who gets both assists.

:worthy:

Robbie

It's strange how hated Torres is now, when Liverpool fans once worshipped him as a hero. If you look at Cesc, he's getting nothing but well wishes and cheers from Arsenal fans. And the same with with Xabi Alonso for Liverpool fans. I guess it all depends on how a player leaves a club.

Maybe it's the parting shots Fernando directed at Liverpool, saying he didn't care because he was never a Liverpool fan but an Atleti fan. Must have really hurt the Liverpool fans who sung his name.

Home of Barca Fans