Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBZ8800

and focus on developing Arthur, Alena, Puig and signing of De Jong. If only two out of this four succeed we will have midfield for the next 10 years so I personally would focus on that.

Schoolboy-light-technical midfield 20 years after the days when those things worked the only time in a history?

Raketa10

Schoolboy-light-technical midfield 20 years after the days when those things worked the only time in a history?

Alena and De Jong are not light at all. They are both 180 cm tall and fairly strong for a footballer. May I remind you that the best midfielder today (Modric) is 172 cm tall? I also never said that I am against one Casemiro or Vidal type of destroyer in the squad. :)

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Since our team is complete now with arrival of Vidal, I really hope we will focus now on securing De Jong for the next summer. We should forget about Pogba, Rabiot, Thiago etc. and focus on developing Arthur, Alena, Puig and signing of De Jong. If only two out of this four succeed we will have midfield for the next 10 years so I personally would focus on that.

In case we secure De Jong and with the team we have (and possible development of Miranda), next summer could only be about signing Suarez replacement. That beeing said I also wouldn’t mind signing De Ligt. :)

Sport reporting that Barca are certain FDJ will wear our colors sooner or later and that he only wants to play for us. Also that Ajax are going to be more amenable for a deal settled for next summer, so hopefully we can negotiate with them soon.

A "schoolboy" midfield of Modric, Isco, Kroos, and Casemiro (the only "thug") just won 3 CL's in a row.

How is it that you claim to be such an authority on these things with such an ABC's level of evaluation and understanding. The ONLY thing your brand of physical 4-4-2 thuggery football with workhorses has gotten us is CL failure and having to be carried by Messi in La Liga.

Garrus

having to be carried by Messi in La Liga.
Alright, This is just straight BS.

Did Messi somehow forgot to carry us in his pocket in 2012, 2014, 2017, He didn’t get the memo perhaps?

I’m surprised this line of thinking still lingers around, The need to undermine the work and accomplishments of a whole team and coaches and pin it down to the work of a single player, Just so you can “win” a petty argument over the internet, I find it desperate, And even shameful.

Let’s get one thing straight, Messi has been just as important and just as decisive for FCB now as he has for the past 10 years, Including the era of pep guardiola (If not in particular) If you think he carried us in the latest la liga, Then he without a doubt carried everything we did in the past decade.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Did Messi somehow forgot to carry us in his pocket in 2012, 2014, 2017, He didn’t get the memo perhaps?

I’m surprised this line of thinking still lingers around, The need to undermine the work and accomplishments of a whole team and coaches and pin it down to the work of a single player, Just so you can “win” a petty argument over the internet, I find it desperate, And even shameful.

Let’s get one thing straight, Messi has been just as important and just as decisive for FCB now as he has for the past 10 years, Including the era of pep guardiola (If not in particular) If you think he carried us in the latest la liga, Then he without a doubt carried everything we did in the past decade.

I've had this debate before and counted like 12 matches in La Liga this season where we played very poorly, got outplayed by the other team, yet got bailed out by Messi/luck/own goals. We really should not have been in the running for an Invincibles title at all and it's no surprise that the only game we lost was one where Messi was rested.

Messi led La Liga in goals, assists, dribbles completed, key passes, passes in the opposition half, free kicks, and goals from outside the box. If that isn't a carry job idk what is. Of course we had multiple other key players but when a team is so dependent on one guy to clinch results and bear the entire offensive load then there is CLEARLY a dependence.

Not that it's wrong to depend on Messi, nor is this the first time he's carried us. 11/12 was largely a Messi carry job as well though we didn't win the title. IIRC if you took away Messi's goals in that year we went from 2nd to 6th in the table, let alone his assists and impact in other ways. You could also say that in 12/13 as well when Pedro and Alexis in particular couldn't score a goal if their life depended on it.

The reason it's a "carry" is because outside of Messi's impact the team as a whole plays quite poorly and struggles to make anything. This wasn't the case when we had Neymar/prime Suarez, nor the case when we had prime Xavi/Iniesta/Villa/Pedro. Messi still had a huge impact but you could clearly see the team capable of functioning well without him or aside from what he brought.

If you truly think Barca's 17/18 team was well functioning and capable of success without him then idk what to tell you. Should've paid more attention to the games where Messi was largely the only way for us to progress the ball forward or create chances. Our several games of clearly underwhelming play seems to get swept under the rug because we won the title, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened.

JamDav1982

There was not 12 games that only Messi got Barca through on his own and there can just as well be games he didnt play well and Barca won due to other players.

Messi is Barcas best player who thrives if system allows it as with any player ever.

The Argentina team shows the limits of any player.

raki

If Ajax gets eliminated on the CL playoff let´s see what happens.
Meanwhile sell some players to raise money.

SeloBarca

I've had this debate before and counted like 12 matches in La Liga this season where we played very poorly, got outplayed by the other team, yet got bailed out by Messi/luck/own goals. We really should not have been in the running for an Invincibles title at all and it's no surprise that the only game we lost was one where Messi was rested.

Messi led La Liga in goals, assists, dribbles completed, key passes, passes in the opposition half, free kicks, and goals from outside the box. If that isn't a carry job idk what is. Of course we had multiple other key players but when a team is so dependent on one guy to clinch results and bear the entire offensive load then there is CLEARLY a dependence.

Not that it's wrong to depend on Messi, nor is this the first time he's carried us. 11/12 was largely a Messi carry job as well though we didn't win the title. IIRC if you took away Messi's goals in that year we went from 2nd to 6th in the table, let alone his assists and impact in other ways. You could also say that in 12/13 as well when Pedro and Alexis in particular couldn't score a goal if their life depended on it.

The reason it's a "carry" is because outside of Messi's impact the team as a whole plays quite poorly and struggles to make anything. This wasn't the case when we had Neymar/prime Suarez, nor the case when we had prime Xavi/Iniesta/Villa/Pedro. Messi still had a huge impact but you could clearly see the team capable of functioning well without him or aside from what he brought.

If you truly think Barca's 17/18 team was well functioning and capable of success without him then idk what to tell you. Should've paid more attention to the games where Messi was largely the only way for us to progress the ball forward or create chances. Our several games of clearly underwhelming play seems to get swept under the rug because we won the title, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Problem is that while Messi have to carry all the burden of playmaking like now, none of the other players are at the level of himself when it comes to scoring.
He carried us in goalscoring when Xavi and Iniesta provided him with passes. The last 5 years he has had to carry us with goalscoring AND passing pretty much to himself.
The team wouldnt have won anything without Messi. We have played really bad for years now and it has only been becouse of individual brilliance that we we have managed to scrap together a CL and Liga title.

serghei

I thought people let go of this 'Messi is carrying Barca' when he was out and we killed everyone in La Liga. Neymar and Suarez continued to rip teams apart without Messi as well. Barcelona is too big of a club to be carried by one player.

We have become more Messi dependent lately because we had average managers in charge. We have overestimated how effective Messi can be as a do-all player against the big boys under these managers. Not because we lack quality, but because we did our planning wrong. Team team was built tactically around Messi and it was a big mistake in CL. One of the main reasons why we failed in the last years.

Last edited:

Joan

He is such a huge blaugrana fan. Not that it's the MOST important quality, but a quality nonetheless.

I don't like their posts. :lol: It's a great trait to have. I'll believe him when he says it's been his dream to come here.

RMU ReBorn

But Pep somehow pulled rabbit out of his hat with fringe players unlike current Barca which is carried by Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans