Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN10

I am not sure about that. He said he was going to join PSG until he talked to his girlfriend and father.

Uhh no. Not at all in fact. He did not say that?

Barca's offer wasn't great at all for quite some time and it didn't nearly match PSG's until Barca switched gears lately, as Overmars pointed out.
Frenkie's always wanted to go to Barca.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Uhh no. Not at all in fact. He did not say that?

Barca's offer wasn't great at all for quite some time and it didn't nearly match PSG's until Barca switched gears lately, as Overmars pointed out.
Frenkie's always wanted to go to Barca.

I was talking about this:

[tw]1088162943706038276[/tw]

You basically confirmed what I thought, which is he was ready to accept PSG's offer because their overall package was better (more money for Ajax and himself) until our offer came in which trumped PSG's. So despite the fact that he might have preferred us, money was the decisive factor. I wonder if PSG had put in a new offer that trumped ours, what he would have picked.

Riordon

Apparently he spoke with both Pep and Tuchel and visited both PSG and City's stadium. Nothing from us.

I believe we could have got him cheaper if we had played our cards right.

Devils

[tw]1088424575678013441[/tw]

[tw]1088424748466475008[/tw]

[tw]1088426984911355904[/tw]

[tw]1088427355725578246[/tw]

[tw]1088428086671101952[/tw]

[tw]1088428564809203718[/tw]

[tw]1088428961426800640[/tw]

My dawg Jasper played a role in the recruitment. Give this man a statue already.

Last edited:

serghei

He made the best possible decision, now he has to work his ass of and don't make us regret paying those money for him.

El Flaco

[tw]1088149669006446592[/tw]

Frenkie on PSG v FCB... 'Paris would've been a top choice. They impressed me. Good club, team, coach... Biggest chance to play. Ligue 1 could've been an advantage, as you've time to grow. But Barcelona has always been my dream and La Liga has more quality.'

On City and PSG... 'I went to Manchester and Paris and spoke with Tuchel and Guardiola. My choice ain't a decision against those clubs, but in favor of Barcelona. The challenge is great. Spain is top. France too, but you don't have the feeling you wanna play there for ten years.'

On playing time... 'Perspective was key. It was the reason why I was a bit reserved about Barcelona. I thought: they have so much midfielders, it's a hard job to earn your place. But FCB gave me the right feeling. There are no guarantees, but my chances are positive.'

On Busi and competition... 'Busquets is the best CDM in the world and will play for a few more years, so I won't make any illusions. Barcelona see me on all three positions in midfield, but short term in front of Sergio. I go to FCB to become a starter, but won't say anything.'

On Messi... 'Of course it's beautiful to play alongside Lionel. But at the moment, I can't say anything about it. I have never played with him. Everyone knows I think Leo is the best, but you must not go too far. The key factor in this transfer was Barcelona.'

On being a doubter... 'When I work hard, learn the language... Then I can't blame myself. If it doesn't work out, I will try somewhere else. I am only 21 years of age and still developing. When all goes right, I will only become better.'

And last but not least... On Ajax and silverware... 'My hunger was already big, but now even bigger. The coming months are my last chance to win a title with Ajax. I have to win it. That desire... Everyone in the team has it. A price shall and must be won.'

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
“I want to learn the language as fast as possible. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try somewhere else. I’m only 21 and I have to keep growing.”

:thinking:

If he can't master Spanish he will leave? :coffee:

De Jong really was being frank with everything which I really appreciate. Not many footballers do that these days.

serghei

Basically saying one of the main reasons he was against Barcelona at first and liked PSG was that it's easier there and in Ligue 1, while at Barcelona it's harder to play and La Liga is a superior league.

Doesn't strike me as a super confident dude, but maybe he's more of a silent type that is still quality.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Basically saying one of the main reasons he was against Barcelona at first and liked PSG was that it's easier there and in Ligue 1, while at Barcelona it's harder to play and La Liga is a superior league.

Doesn't strike me as a super confident dude, but maybe he's more of a silent type that is still quality.

I think he was being completely honest about his thought and decision process, you have to give him credit for it. I don't doubt that our other signings and other teams' signings have had similar concerns when they picked and joined a club, it is just that they don't come out and explicitly say it like De Jong did.

messi2140

6racies Xavi

I think he was more talking about how many midfielders Barcelona has rather than the strength of a league. If you look at this quote ;

“I was a bit doubtful because I thought ‘they have so many midfielders that it’s hard work to earn a spot’. But Barca gave me the right feeling. There are no guarantees but my chances are positive.”

There might be a chance that Bartomeu even told him that they were planning to sell some midfielders aswell. (most likely Rakitic).

Leo_Messi

There was a point in time when we had a certain manager who used to contact potential transfer targets and tell them in person or directly what was expected of them, the sporting project, what they could add to the team and in general encouraging them to join the club. Similarly with the board. Yes, the board did well this time around but this deal could have been closed sooner or preferably last summer.

Times have changed. Today even the elite of the elite need to work hard to convince potential targets.

I for once would appreciate such behavior greatly from a potentially interested club and their manager who I might soon be playing for. Not sure whether such a policy was done with past missed transfer targets but Valverde is certainly not the type of manager to do such a thing (I only think that he speaks or understands Spanish and Basque, lol) and not sure/don't recall if Lucho was. Can't imagine Martino doing it.

It sounds like a rather simple thing to do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans