Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

:thinking:

If he can't master Spanish he will leave? :coffee:

De Jong really was being frank with everything which I really appreciate. Not many footballers do that these days.

No. I think he is saying he will work hard to adapt to Barcelona as a club and to Spain generally, by learning the language.

Then, if it doesn't work out at the end, he would have given his all and will leave with no regret.

From what he is saying, i was right about his first motivations being money and playing time (which is normal for a professional) and then chose the club of his choice if those conditions are met.

It turned out for the better because PSG is not buying with the idea to sell and he clearly indicated he couldn't see himself stay there for a long time. If you invest such a fee on a prospect (he is good but not already world class), it is to enjoy his world class days. Probably wouldn't have happened at PSG.

Good luck to him.

I hope PSG won't waste time on de Ligt or other Ajax players as well. They prolly share these mentality and feelings. Wouldn't be beneficial for the club (investing so much on potential but not being able to keep him when he is mature) and the players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No. I think he is saying he will work hard to adapt to Barcelona as a club and to Spain generally, by learning the language.

Then, if it doesn't work out at the end, he would have given his all and will leave with no regret.

From what he is saying, i was right about his first motivations being money and playing time (which is normal for a professional) and then chose the club of his choice if those conditions are met.

It turned out for the better because PSG is not buying with the idea to sell and he clearly indicated he couldn't see himself stay there for a long time. If you invest such a fee on a prospect (he is good but not already world class), it is to enjoy his world class days. Probably wouldn't have happened at PSG.

Good luck to him.

I hope PSG won't waste time on de Ligt or other Ajax players as well. They prolly share these mentality and feelings. Wouldn't be beneficial for the club (investing so much on potential but not being able to keep him when he is mature) and the players.

But, PSG can always refuse to sell and force them to renew (like they did with Veratti) or worst case scenario, you lose them for free (like they did with Coman, Zagadou and soon Rabiot as you mentioned). :p

I still think it is worth bringing in a player for 5 years if that player is considered good enough to contribute to the club's goal (in PSG's case, winning the CL). Plus, a lot can happen in 5 years. If PSG wins one CL title and becomes a regular CL contender, more players will want to go to play for PSG, no doubt.

Last edited:

Porque

There was a point in time when we had a certain manager who used to contact potential transfer targets and tell them in person or directly what was expected of them, the sporting project, what they could add to the team and in general encouraging them to join the club. Similarly with the board. Yes, the board did well this time around but this deal could have been closed sooner or preferably last summer.

Times have changed. Today even the elite of the elite need to work hard to convince potential targets.

I for once would appreciate such behavior greatly from a potentially interested club and their manager who I might soon be playing for. Not sure whether such a policy was done with past missed transfer targets but Valverde is certainly not the type of manager to do such a thing (I only think that he speaks or understands Spanish and Basque, lol) and not sure/don't recall if Lucho was. Can't imagine Martino doing it.

It sounds like a rather simple thing to do though.

Well, you are right, but this guy and that Sporting director are in Man City and yet they did not manage to convince de Jong.

The main thing is that we went all out on the best possible fit in world football to replace one of our key positions. When we do that, despite the fee we are usually successful. Villa, Suarez, Alba, Stegen, Arthur, Dembele, Neymar. Only one that didn't work out (so far) is Coutinho.

When we go for B options and opportunities that are unplanned then it goes a bit sideways. Semedo, Andre Gomes, Paco, Yerry Mina, Aleix Vidal, Malcom.

I left off Arda Turan coz he is an anomaly and somehow fits in both categories :D.

Last edited:

Newcomer

But, PSG can always refuse to sell and force them to renew (like they did with Veratti) or worst case scenario, you lose them for free (like they did with Coman, Zagadou and soon Rabiot as you mentioned). :p

I still think it is worth bringing in a player for 5 years if that player is considered good enough to contribute to the club's goal (in PSG's case, winning the CL). Plus, a lot can happen in 5 years. If PSG wins one CL title and becomes a regular CL contender, more players will want to go to play for PSG, no doubt.

Again, false information repeated again and again, without verification, and people believe it. Verratti has not renew, period ! So he can't have been forced to renew, indeed.
Verratti had the shittiest agent in the world that was renewing every year for tiny increase. This is why he had always 5 year contract and still low salary in relation to his importance in the team. Now that he is with Raiola, he still has not renewed and i supposed he will milk the situation.
Look : https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-verratti/profil/spieler/102558

I always find funny when people attribute crazy things to PSG they wouldn't believe for another clubs and that becomes an universal truth somehow. All PSG did was telling him, he has a long contract so he is not going anywhere and since his agent had been very disrespectful, to fire him, which he did.

Coman, Zagadou and Rabiot are totally different issues because they are acadmy players. It is more like Fabregas issue for one and Thiago Alcantara for the other.
Coman and Zagadou went fot clubs known for poaching young and free players like Juve and Dortmund. PSG had offered them great economic package and solid role in the first team as well. In the case of Coman though, coach fucked up playing Menez who was already out of contract soon instead of him and he got angered (Thiago situation). Zagadou left because Dortmund and Leipzig pays a lot to steal young academy players. France rules don't permit to match those offer on very young player and their contracts can't be longer than 3 years (they sign it at 15 most of the time). So, by the time the player can really have a sight to the first team training, they leave for the money.
Rabiot is a totally different case and you already know everything there is to know about him.

About the second part, i would ask you a question : Why would you buy a highly rated prospect, for an almost record fee, when you could buy an already established player in his prime (let's say 27/28 y.o) around the same price ? Because you think 1) his ceiling is maybe higher, 2) he can set you for more years than the other guy and 3) you have resell value at the worst case.
Now, if you know the guy doesn't see himself staying longer than 5 years, the second point is void and the first one as well because you'll not benefit from his higher ceiling that he will fulfill in his new team. All you'll have gained will be his resell value. At the same time, the established player in his prime would have maybe given more for a good CL push.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Again, false information repeated again and again, without verification, and people believe it. Verratti has not renew, period ! So he can't have been forced to renew, indeed.
Verratti had the shittiest agent in the world that was renewing every year for tiny increase. This is why he had always 5 year contract and still low salary in relation to his importance in the team. Now that he is with Raiola, he still has not renewed and i supposed he will milk the situation.
Look : https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-verratti/profil/spieler/102558

I always find funny when people attribute crazy things to PSG they wouldn't believe for another clubs and that becomes an universal truth somehow. All PSG did was telling him, he has a long contract so he is not going anywhere and since his agent had been very disrespectful, to fire him, which he did.

Coman, Zagadou and Rabiot are totally different issues because they are acadmy players. It is more like Fabregas issue for one and Thiago Alcantara for the other.
Coman and Zagadou went fot clubs known for poaching young and free players like Juve and Dortmund. PSG had offered them great economic package and solid role in the first team as well. In the case of Coman though, coach fucked up playing Menez who was already out of contract soon instead of him and he got angered (Thiago situation). Zagadou left because Dortmund and Leipzig pays a lot to steal young academy players. France rules don't permit to match those offer on very young player and their contracts can't be longer than 3 years (they sign it at 15 most of the time). So, by the time the player can really have a sight to the first team training, they leave for the money.
Rabiot is a totally different case and you already know everything there is to know about him.

About the second part, i would ask you a question : Why would you buy a highly rated prospect, for an almost record fee, when you could buy an already established player in his prime (let's say 27/28 y.o) around the same price ? Because you think 1) his ceiling is maybe higher, 2) he can set you for more years than the other guy and 3) you have resell value at the worst case.
Now, if you know the guy doesn't see himself staying longer than 5 years, the second point is void and the first one as well because you'll not benefit from his higher ceiling that he will fulfill in his new team. All you'll have gained will be his resell value. At the same time, the established player in his prime would have maybe given more for a good CL push.

Good information on Veratti, Coman, Zagadou that clarified a few things for me. Thanks.

I agree with you that in that case you would prefer a more established, season and older player but you (not just PSG, any club) have to try to bring in some of the best players and talents, as much as you can. Again, nobody knows what happens in 5 years and nobody can predict the future.

Newcomer

Yeah, of course. I will also prefer getting young talents, you have always the thrill of wondering how high can they go. Haha.
Just that with de Jong mentality and feeling it would have been already a non story, so no regret.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, of course. I will also prefer getting young talents, you have always the thrill of wondering how high can they go. Haha.
Just that with de Jong mentality and feeling it would have been already a non story, so no regret.

Yes I agree no regrets but I think that mentality is pretty common among football players these days, let's be honest: How many of past PSG signings and current PSG players joined PSG with an intention to stay there for 10 years or the majority of their playing career? Probably some die-hard PSG fan-players did but I'd guess not very many. Not trying to mock PSG, just pointing out the reality. The same happens with most other teams too, a prime example being BVB.

Again things change and can change quickly. You have a lot of pros: One of the nicest cities in the world, the appeal of Paris, a lot of money and seemingly unlimited resources, sitting on the massive French talent pool, definitely ascending. All you need is a CL title or two to keep raising that profile and building that prestige. In 5 years the landscape of European football might look a lot different from today's: We will be coping with losing Messi and the oldies that brought us so much glory last decade and will be in the early stage of transitioning and will likely see some volatilities to say the least; Real Madrid and Bayern will be done with their transitioning by then; you guys and City will become an even stronger force to be reckoned with; the revival of the Serie A might be coming too...

Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Nah, with Leonardo as the helm, we had a good sporting vision.
Since then we have had Letang, Kluivert and Henrique. The latter is already under fire since the last summer. How can a sporting director allow his team to have only one (two with Rabiot) real defensive midfielder ? This is madness. Now, they are taken by the balls in winter with all clubs that want to milk them.
Pathetic direction.

Jair Ventura

Good luck to him.

Would not be wise. I'd prefer Éder Militão.

Nah, with Leonardo as the helm, we had a good sporting vision.
Since then we have had Letang, Kluivert and Henrique. The latter is already under fire since the last summer. How can a sporting director allow his team to have only one (two with Rabiot) real defensive midfielder ? This is madness. Now, they are taken by the balls in winter with all clubs that want to milk them.
Pathetic direction.

- Paredes + Allan + Verratti is an awesome midfield imo

- Henrique is on his way out according to reports

Newcomer

Would not be wise. I'd prefer Éder Militão.

We almost signed Militao last summer. :/
But it is over, he is off to Madrid.
So far, from reliable sources, PSG has talked for Koulibaly (Napoli) and de Ligt (Ajax) for TS heir.

- Paredes + Allan + Verratti is an awesome midfield imo

- Henrique is on his way out according to reports

There is definitely something going on with Allan since he is not training with the rest of his team. However, i don't believe those hysterical italian reports one bit. So one day, it is 80 then 100 and de Laurentis wants what ? 120 ? Hahaha !
The day Allan is worth that much money, Mbappé is 500 M, Neymar 1 billion etc.
He is a good player but he can't command such crazy numbers. Also, they are talking about some bullshit sponsors to Napoli to help pay the transfer. That special part is one of the most idiotic things i have ever heard. I mean, let's say you want to do that, you won't tell it to all the journos right ? You transfer the player for a lower sum that is somewhat acceptable and on the low side, you give a swift sponsor so that no one makes any connection between the dots.
It is like i'm planning to kill someone with a perfect murder but i carefully explain to the wolrd all the steps i'll take to execute my crime. Braindead reporting.

Jair Ventura

Di Marzio said Napoli want more than 80m for Allan. Sounds a bit steep given his age.

I'd take him happily. Top 3 midfielder in Serie A. Bring him in and go for Ndombélé over the summer mercato and the midfield is set. Especially if Lo Celso returns.

We almost signed Militao last summer. :/
But it is over, he is off to Madrid.
So far, from reliable sources, PSG has talked for Koulibaly (Napoli) and de Ligt (Ajax) for TS heir.

The Madrid deal hasn't been finalized to my knowledge. At least not on our end.

Do you have a link?

There is definitely something going on with Allan since he is not training with the rest of his team. However, i don't believe those hysterical italian reports one bit. So one day, it is 80 then 100 and de Laurentis wants what ? 120 ? Hahaha !
The day Allan is worth that much money, Mbappé is 500 M, Neymar 1 billion etc.
He is a good player but he can't command such crazy numbers. Also, they are talking about some bullshit sponsors to Napoli to help pay the transfer. That special part is one of the most idiotic things i have ever heard. I mean, let's say you want to do that, you won't tell it to all the journos right ? You transfer the player for a lower sum that is somewhat acceptable and on the low side, you give a swift sponsor so that no one makes any connection between the dots.
It is like i'm planning to kill someone with a perfect murder but i carefully explain to the wolrd all the steps i'll take to execute my crime. Braindead reporting.

The deal includes sponsorship deals with Qatari based companies to help Napoli diversify their revenue streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans