Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacticvarium

I think Frenkie will come to represent the exemplar of the modern regista. High workrate and mobility, can carry the ball anywhere, and can pass the ball anywhere/in any situation. We always assumed these types of players Pirlo/Alonso/Busquets need to be relatively static and disciplined in their positioning but Frenkie has a MASSIVE radius of action on the pitch. He basically adds an extra man to any situation whether you need to press/intercept/link up and he can do it on the left and right, not just strictly near the center. Whenever he initiates plays from deep positions he also builds up momentum and can carry an attack all the way to the final third.

I understand your excitement about FDJ but you need to calm down a little pal.
You always tend to overestimate and exaggerate things when you write post-match reviews.
It would be a lot better if you calm down your overexcitement when you post about your favourite players, especially on the match day.
That's the reason why you are often attacked by BBZ regarding your comments about some players in the past.
In this case, you are just devaluating Pirlo, Alonso and many other players in the past to force your opinion about FDJ.
I believe FDJ is the only proper Barça quality midfielder after Xavi & Iniesta but tbh there isn't really 'new' or 'modern' about FDJ's tactical values or roles.
There have been many players who did the same things what FDJ is doing now neither he meaningfully improved what has been already done in the past.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Obviously his freshness fell in second part of the game as he was constantly the most active runner in both off the ball movement and pressing among our mids, while Rak and Busq took it easy. Like you aid, he worked in two shifts.

True. That was the problem last season. Arthur working double because of Raki/Busis lack of movement.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I understand your excitement about FDJ but you need to calm down a little pal.
You always tend to overestimate and exaggerate things when you write post-match reviews.
It would be a lot better if you calm down your overexcitement when you post about your favourite players, especially on the match day.
In this case, you are just devaluating Pirlo, Alonso and many other players in the past to force your opinion about FDJ.
I believe FDJ is the only proper Barça quality midfielder after Xavi & Iniesta but tbh there isn't really 'new' or 'modern' about FDJ's tactical values or roles.
There have been many players who did the same things what FDJ is doing now neither he meaningfully improved what has been already done in the past.

I think, moreso, you guys need to start catching on more quickly to changing realities. More than half this forum was just barely starting to say "hey this guy might be pretty good" when he was already destroying the best midfielders in the world for his NT and in the CL knockouts.

Besides, I don't see how my post downplayed those great players. Pirlo/Alonso/Busquets/Scholes were all great and shaped the football of their generation, bringing things to the table that their predecessors weren't capable of. FDJ clearly brings new evolutions to the "regista" role, it's obvious to anyone who pays attention.

For one, FDJ is more mobile on and off the ball than all of them. He's obviously much quicker and can dribble more comfortably at speed. Sheer athleticism plays in his favor. He also plays at a higher pace than those players and has a higher workrate overall if you account for his nonstop running in possession as well as his defense. He's not poor defensively and especially looking at his CL games and UEFA Nations League games he looks as good a duel-winner as anyone in football right now. You have to start mentioning the likes of Kante/Vidal/Casemiro to try to undermine FDJ's ability to handle himself defensively as a pivot.

Because of the mobility/workrate factor, De Jong has an approach to the regista role that is way different from those players. Alonso, Busi, Pirlo were all more static and disciplined in their positioning. They didn't move out of their zone very often and had to be the pillar in the midfield. De Jong however, roams anywhere he wants on the pitch. Up the flanks, left and right side, between CB's all the way to the final third. He is a great "late arriver" so he can provide that extra man for the interception or 1-2 from deep positions on the run. He forces the issue more in pushing the pace of play and getting the tempo faster.

FDJ's style of playing the pivot is more offensively aggressive and higher paced than his predecessors. That doesn't make him better, and he still has a lot of developing to do. But it definitely is a new take on the role and tactically progressive.

Zidane82

It was clear he was a special player even when he was a CB in 17/18. His dribbling success rate was 94% and he had the highest pass accuracy in all of Eredivisie. This was despite the fact that he basically lived on the tight rope of risk as a CB and played like freaking Beckenbauer :lol:

He's already drawn the praise of Ancelotti, Griezmann, Mbappe, Pirlo, Xavi, Allegri, and many others.

I think Frenkie will come to represent the exemplar of the modern regista. High workrate and mobility, can carry the ball anywhere, and can pass the ball anywhere/in any situation. We always assumed these types of players Pirlo/Alonso/Busquets need to be relatively static and disciplined in their positioning but Frenkie has a MASSIVE radius of action on the pitch. He basically adds an extra man to any situation whether you need to press/intercept/link up and he can do it on the left and right, not just strictly near the center. Whenever he initiates plays from deep positions he also builds up momentum and can carry an attack all the way to the final third.

The extra man in any situation, wherever we need him to be. That kind of effect is something few players have ever produced.

I knew he was a brilliant player but seeing him at close hand playing with our players it’s clear that he’s a bloody marvel .
He’s already my favourite player. !

booge

the question is, how do you fit him in, which players do you put around him to get the best from him.

abit like messi. they should base the attack on messi like previous years,

base the midfield around de jong

and the defense is already sorted with pique.

theres a good spine there

Riordon

the question is, how do you fit him in, which players do you put around him to get the best from him.

abit like messi. they should base the attack on messi like previous years,

base the midfield around de jong

and the defense is already sorted with pique.

theres a good spine there

De Jong doesn’t need controllers next to him. He needs players with work rate and off ball movement creating forward passing options for him.

AjaxAmsterdam

From what Ive seen of De Jong which is alot, he functions best with 1 controlling midfielder next to him , with the Dutch team that is De Roon and with Ajax it was Schone.
Besides that he works best obviously with highly mobile players that are confident in passing. But mobility is key.

With Barca that might be different though since possession% is much higher then Dutch team or Ajax in CL.

Last edited:

cro-man

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Infographic: No other player gave more passes (72) or recovered more balls (8) than Frenkie de Jong in Barcelona's 4-0 win over Napoli yesterday. [opta via md] <a href="https://t.co/Sd414KZBgv">pic.twitter.com/Sd414KZBgv</a></p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1160491977403752454?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FinBarcelonafan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Infographic: No other player gave more passes (72) or recovered more balls (8) than Frenkie de Jong in Barcelona's 4-0 win over Napoli yesterday. [opta via md] <a href="https://t.co/Sd414KZBgv">pic.twitter.com/Sd414KZBgv</a></p>— barcacentre (@barcacentre) <a href="https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1160491977403752454?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice. 8 balls recovered. Sounds insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans