Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN10

Watched his games at Ajax too and thats my conclusion. He is way too good of a ballcarrier and dribbler to play as a DM as it restrict him. Even his defensive traits fit the CM position more as he tends to press and be very aggressive and thus leave space behind.

Are you sure that you watched Ajax? He played 1 game as a CM, lol.
https://www.transfermarkt.nl/frenkie-de-jong/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/326330/saison/2018/wettbewerb/NL1/verein/610

He is way way way way better as a pivot DM than any other midfield role.
It's not even a discussion.

Riordon

Are you sure that you watched Ajax? He played 1 game as a CM, lol.
https://www.transfermarkt.nl/frenkie-de-jong/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/326330/saison/2018/wettbewerb/NL1/verein/610

He is way way way way better as a pivot DM than any other midfield role.
It's not even a discussion.

His qualities fit the CM position way more than the DM position. Both offensively and defensively. Watch this video of Frenkie in 16/17. This is where he should play for us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZpLv-PA9R8

When compared to Busquest, Frenkie answer: "I'm more of a Xavi"

JohnN

Haven't seen him for Ajax too much except in the CL.
In barca though, he should replace Busquets as a DM. We have no other option there except for Busquets, who can't defend anymore. That is where he shined against Napoli too.

The Observer

He would be wasted as a pure holder. Xavi started his career as a holder but only exploded when given positional freedom. Just sitting there infront of the centerbacks and making short passes to the other CMs is pointless.

We should buy a DM destroyer like Kanté and play De Jong further forward.

Riordon

He would be wasted as a pure holder. Xavi started his career as a holder but only exploded when given positional freedom. Just sitting there infront of the centerbacks and making short passes to the other CMs is pointless.

We should buy a DM destroyer like Kanté and play De Jong further forward.

Completely my opinion. You don’t play a guy who can average 1.5 keypasses and that good at dribbling as a holder. Let him play further ahead and a DM who is strong defensively and can run a lot yet technically strong.

VN10

Well, it’s not just my opinion but also Frenkie’s who sees himself “more as a Xavi”.

He is more like Xavi thats true, his qualities are more comparibale to Xavi than to Busquets.
But does that indicate any positional qualities of preferences? No, not at all. Obviously.

He would be laughed at if he compared himself to Busquets, because Busi does not dribble or run a lot, nor is he very ernergetic or does he taunt defenders. Which are Frenkies primary qualities and Xavi also possesed some of those qualities and was better in other areas.

It's not that hard...

VN10

Completely my opinion. You don’t play a guy who can average 1.5 keypasses and that good at dribbling as a holder. Let him play further ahead and a DM who is strong defensively and can run a lot yet technically strong.

Bullshit. Frenkie excells because he plays in that specific area in front of the defence.
I could elaborate on that, but I choose not to lol.

If you guys don't see that, I'm afraid that you should watch another sport.

kattanib

He is a transitional player, bridges defense with attack. In some teams its the role of a CM while in Barca Busquets as a CDM has been playing this role

AjaxAmsterdam

Bullshit. Frenkie excells because he plays in that specific area in front of the defence.
I could elaborate on that, but I choose not to lol.

If you guys don't see that, I'm afraid that you should watch another sport.

Although I do agree with your general sentiment that deep lying playmaker from CDM is where he excells at currently its hard to say where he will end up since he is so far away from his prime.

Saw him dominate France U-17 which had dembele (thats how they know eachother they always faced eachother in youth NTs) as a 9 so I dont think hes limited to just excell at DM with more playtime he could very well be great elsewhere.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Modric was a CDM in his early days too. That being his best position right now doesn't mean he cannot or won't transition to a different type of midfielder eventually.

Because if you look at his skillset, he really will become a complete midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans