Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riordon

An Arthur - Frenkie - Havertz Midfield is my dream.

Arthur can be Frenkie's Daley Blind, except he's quicker and more athletic. Havertz can be the van de Beek here, except he's more versatile, better and far more talented.

You'll have physicality and athleticism.

My dream would be Aouar-Frenkie in a double pivot with Frenkie as the organizer and Aouar moving between the lines. Havertz in front of them.

Been wanting Aouar for two years now together with Frenkie.

Aouar-Frenkie-Havertz

JohnN

I don't get how the "Messi compromises tactical setups" narrative is still alive and well.
I've said it, even from 500 miles away he will be blamed for something.

This argument has nothing to do with reality, in the last 3 official games and all the pre season ones.

Valverde is incompetent as a manager for players of this caliber. No need to find amazing excuses for him.

mc_lovin

Of course we somehow accommodate Messis position, but its more an inconvinience than tactical disaster. The last few CL exits, at least for me, are 100% about our inability in midfield.

aqua2nd

My dream would be Aouar-Frenkie in a double pivot with Frenkie as the organizer and Aouar moving between the lines. Havertz in front of them.

Been wanting Aouar for two years now together with Frenkie.

Aouar-Frenkie-Havertz

I'm not sure about Aouar. André Gomes looked just as flashy as him before joining us
Many players were good in other systems but struggled with our possession based style

Judoman

I don't get how the "Messi compromises tactical setups" narrative is still alive and well.
I've said it, even from 500 miles away he will be blamed for something.

This argument has nothing to do with reality, in the last 3 official games and all the pre season ones.

Valverde is incompetent as a manager for players of this caliber. No need to find amazing excuses for him.

He does compromise tactical setups.

Of non-wc coaches with less imagination/tactical abilities than the elite coaches have. Since Guardiola they ve all been using him as the go to guy in attack and latter also
in midfield, which makes us and Argentina very predictable.
He should be used as a maverick. The type of player that is not predictable regarding his position and/or his movement and is able
to adjust to opponents weaknesses. Around him there should be technical AND athletic players, who do the hard work of running and defending. His false 9 role in prime Guardiola
days was a perfect example of what i mean. But latter we lost Guardiola and we failed to upgrade our weaknesses presented by aging of key players.

Due to management s incompetence we failed to surround the goat with the best possible coach and players in order to maximize his potential.

Messigician

Van Gaal just said Frenkie isn't utilized properly.

Koeman said Juve isn't utilising De Lift properly.

Also De Jong said the following.

Frenkie de Jong: "Playing more attacking minded at Barcelona? It's not as confusing as people think, I play in the midfield and I don't mind where." [veronica inside] https://t.co/0WMd1VGhmK

No disrespect to LVG and Koeman but there's a reason they failed at Manchester and Everton respectively.

serghei

Koeman said Juve isn't utilising De Lift properly.

Also De Jong said the following.

Frenkie de Jong: "Playing more attacking minded at Barcelona? It's not as confusing as people think, I play in the midfield and I don't mind where." [veronica inside] https://t.co/0WMd1VGhmK

No disrespect to LVG and Koeman but there's a reason they failed at Manchester and Everton respectively.

:lol: Only a handful of managers know more football than Louis van Gaal. Valverde is nothing in comparison. Let's just say that if both of them were to explain their vision in a book, Van Gaal would need 2-3 volumes, while Ernie would fit everything in a booklet with pictures.

If I were to choose 5 managers to take to a guys' night out at a diner somewhere I would choose Pep, Van Gaal, Klopp, Mourinho and Valverde. The last one only so I can punch him personally.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Frenkie is the type of player that even if he’s played out of his favoured position, he will make it work. I think he expressed in the Veronica Inside interview that he is willing to play more attacking.

serghei

Frenkie is the type of player that even if he’s played out of his favoured position, he will make it work. I think he expressed in the Veronica Inside interview that he is willing to play more attacking.

That's not the point is it? The point is to have him in his best position, in order for him to perform at a world class level. I'd rather have a world class DM than a good-ish AM with De Jong.

Messi983

Yep, he just needs more time to adapt.

I find one thing interesting. People were talking last season how FDJ will come in and take Raki's position and then they were mad at Raki when he said FDJ is not playing his position (which was true since he played mostly as DM at Ajax which is Busi's position here).

I know Roberto is for now playing as RCM (Raki's old position) so FDJ didn't actually bench Raki. Frenkie is instead where people want to see Arthur but he was still playing as a CM in 2 out of 3 games. But somehow EV is an idiot for not playing him as a DM when they actually wanted FDJ to play as a CM a few months ago?

I agree DM is Frenkie's best position (or where he's most comfortable playing right now) but he's young enough to adapt playing as a CM so why not try this out in early phase of the season? We already know he can play as DM and he'll also be used there when Busi won't play but as for now Busi is still a starter.

Now I might be in minority here but I consider Busi as a bigger liability than Raki and I would actually prefer to sell him but problem is at his age he can only play well in Pep's system and Pep got a younger version of Busi so he'll probably stay here until he retires; I just hope he won't drag his career for too long.

So we have two options:

1. Play FDJ as a DM alongside Arthur and then decide who second midfielder is. But there is a problem. People here hate Raki and think he should never play for us again (though I think now that he's officially staying EV will count on him but his role will continue to be diminished). People don't like Roberto as a CM (eventhough that opened up a starting position for forum darling Semedo :lol:; which is another thing people here wanted last season that EV did so far this season), they would maybe like to see Alena but I don't think he's anything more than a squad player. And Vidal is probably the best for coming off the bench when he brings fresh energy to the team.

2. Keep Busi as a DM alongside FDJ and Arthur/Roberto/Vidal/Raki. For this midfield to work Frenkie will first need to adapt to his new position (and I believe he can do that relatively quickly) and Arthur would need to prove he can play a more offensive role like he did vs Osasuna against better teams (and if he'll do that then I think he'll become a starter) but I think for now this is still the better option than any midfield combination we can do with FDJ playing as a DM.

Donatello

Valverde failed at a Greek club. You can't compare managers like that

LVG and Koeman are definitely much better than Valverde when it comes to football.

Last edited:

Raki13

Dont know why folk are surprised at how average he has been so far , I said when he signed this manager would drain any attacking midfielder thoughts from him as soon as he played.
The guy is a good player who will get better under another manager.

Alik

I find one thing interesting. People were talking last season how FDJ will come in and take Raki's position and then they were mad at Raki when he said FDJ is not playing his position (which was true since he played mostly as DM at Ajax which is Busi's position here).
Agreed with this part.

Kul_z

People would realize how good he is in rakitic's position when messi returns. That right flank wouldnt have that much space, and he is the only middlefielder that can bring the ball to messi close to the final third, and thats only thing that messi needs, even valverde tactics couldnt ruin that.
Busquets/rakitic
Frenkie arthur should be our go to middlefield.

Rakitic is decent or even equal to busi at dm spot so as long we are stuck with them thats the best option to go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans