Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
He has no business playing as a CB. Him and Busquets might be the only players I have seen that have a shorter reach when they jump. DM is the only hope he miraculously pans out for us.

fergus90

He's good as a libero in a 3-5-2 as he's allowed time to progress the ball up the field, and has two centre-backs to cover him.

However as a CB in a 4-3-3 he would be awful. Anytime he found himself one-on-one with an attacker when he filled in at CB it wasn't pretty.

iniestaGOAT

Ten Hag criticizes Barca for misusing De Jong: "Frenkie is not a goalscorer or B2B midfielder, he at his best when he orchestrate things from deep. He supplies the teammates who give the assists or who score goals from their position. I once subbed him off because he gone far up the pitch."

Thoughts?

BerkeleyBernie

Ten Hag criticizes Barca for misusing De Jong: "Frenkie is not a goalscorer or B2B midfielder, he at his best when he orchestrate things from deep. He supplies the teammates who give the assists or who score goals from their position. I once subbed him off because he gone far up the pitch."

Thoughts?

Yep. I always thought he was pretty poor with his back to goal. He's best in deep positions. However, we'll see what he can do under Xavi's instruction. Rakitic was much the same when he first came to Barca and improved.

FinBarcelonafan

Thoughts?

Another thing here, is Frenkie going to be happy with this? Maybe he things he can do more, but in reality doesn't fit him.

serghei

Yep. I always thought he was pretty poor with his back to goal. He's best in deep positions. However, we'll see what he can do under Xavi's instruction. Rakitic was much the same when he first came to Barca and improved.

Nah, Rakitic always had top attacking movements and instincts. Frenkie is a DM but one that takes more risks hence why he fits best a 4-2-3-1, and not lone pivot. It's like when Madrid played with Xavi Alonso and Khedira double pivot in 2012. Frenkie would be ideal in a setup like that to reel the ball to Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria, and Benzema.

But as we don't play a double pivot, he should be groomed in Busi's role. Especially now that he has a high work rate top defending CM in Gavi next to him to help him out.

Zidane82

Thoughts?

I would suggest that he is probably correct ..

Klysmakabouter

You can't even spell his name. How much you want to bet you haven't even reached the 10 game mark for amount of Ajax matches watched within the past 3 years?

As someone who has watched a lot of Ajax matches under Ten Hag s reign, I can confidently say this is true. Ten Hag is the only manager who was able to get the best of Frenkie de Jong. By playing him deeper, in a double pivot. He also excelled in the Dutch NT in this role, with De Roon as his pivot-partner.

Van Gaal also thinks CDM, deeper on the pitch, is his best position. FdJ made Ajax almost unplayable for opponents in this position. Constantly creating space for the attacking players with his characteristic runs from deep down.

FdJ should just leave, I feel. Xavi s obsession with converting FdJ to a AM is not going to get the results everybody seems to be expecting. The expectations are high with the high transfer fee in mind, which is fair. But he is being misused right now and I get the feeling Barca and the fans are done with him. The fans booing him is also telling.

A lot has changed in a year, when FdJ was voted Barca s player of the year

Last edited:

Judoman

Solution to DJ problem is simple. Busi should be benched and DJ should play in his role. Barca has a problem letting go vet players.

Bobo32

As someone who has watched a lot of Ajax matches under Ten Hag s reign, I can confidently say this is true. Ten Hag is the only manager who was able to get the best of Frenkie de Jong. By playing him deeper, in a double pivot. He also excelled in the Dutch NT in this role, with De Roon as his pivot-partner.

Van Gaal also thinks CDM, deeper on the pitch, is his best position. FdJ made Ajax almost unplayable for opponents in this position. Constantly creating space for the attacking players with his characteristic runs from deep down.

FdJ should just leave, I feel. Xavi s obsession with converting FdJ to a AM is not going to get the results everybody seems to be expecting. The expectations are high with the high transfer fee in mind, which is fair. But he is being misused right now and I get the feeling Barca and the fans are done with him. The fans booing him is also telling.

A lot has changed in a year, when FdJ was voted Barca s player of the year

His main problems from CDM is that he takes 10 times the time to reach a worse decision than Busquets with the ball, and that he is constantly drifting out of position.
He is better technically and mentally than most midfielders, and can make a difference for a lot of teams as CDM, but he isn't good enough for that role at Barcelona, until Busquets retires.
When he plays CB, he gets a lot of his strengths accentuated automatically.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
His main problems from CDM is that he takes 10 times the time to reach a worse decision than Busquets with the ball, and that he is constantly drifting out of position.
He is better technically and mentally than most midfielders, and can make a difference for a lot of teams as CDM, but he isn't good enough for that role at Barcelona, until Busquets retires.
When he plays CB, he gets a lot of his strengths accentuated automatically.

We had CDMs who played differently before Busquets.

We don?t need a carbon copy of Busquets. We need to adapt and alter our midfielders? roles to the type of players we have.

Nico, Gavi, Pedri are not similar to Xavi and Iniesta so why do people expect Frenkie to play just like Sergio? You cannot play like it?s 2011 when that?s not necessarily the strength of the players you got.

Something Barcelona and Barcelona fans alike struggle to understand. For some reason it seems like people forgot that thr CDMs before Busquets were vastly different with other strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans