Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

We all saw how FDJ played for Ajax so why the hell wouldn't we try to utilize him in that exact way? It's way more logical to buy another physicaly strong DM and play him next to FDJ than to request from FDJ to play like Rakitic or even worse lik Busi did back in 2011. We have paid 85 mil for this guy, he is currently our most expensive player and we know he can perform. We should try to find the way how to get him back on the right track and forget about grandpa Busi and his "way of playing".

Makes no sense why we wouldn't try and replicate parts of that system to get the best out of him. Not to mention that system is what modern football has become and is very effective.

We'd rather play a system that suits sacred catalan cows just so catalans can say "one of us, one of us." We're a joke.

Andresito

Staff member
I think he's a lost cause, a one season wonder. The 18/19 Ajax season was the pinnacle of his career.

He's been on a steady decline since signing. He did well in the beginning and showed potential, but developed backwards instead of becoming a WC performer.

fergus90

If he cost 25 million I wouldn't bat an eyelid and to be honest, would have been chuffed that he's able to cover quite a few positions well.

But he was expensive, is paid a lot of money, and seemingly needs the absolutely perfect variables to stamp any authority on a game.

Last edited:

malvolio

If he cost 25 million I wouldn't bat an eyelid and to be honest, would have been chuffed that he's able to cover quite a few positions well.

But he was expensive, is paid a lot of money, and seemingly needs the absolutely perfect variables to stamp any authority on a game.

this basically.

where are the guys that said we'll get 100M for him easily :lol:

mc_lovin

I think he's a lost cause, a one season wonder. The 18/19 Ajax season was the pinnacle of his career.

He's been on a steady decline since signing. He did well in the beginning and showed potential, but developed backwards instead of becoming a WC performer.

He has been more than good enough in two of his three seasons here. He's just bad this year. It's not the end of the world. It happens. The club has to show loyalty now and build around him or get rid. Wouldn't mind either, but not use him as AM/CM.

Raki13

He has been more than good enough in two of his three seasons here. He's just bad this year. It's not the end of the world. It happens. The club has to show loyalty now and build around him or get rid. Wouldn't mind either, but not use him as AM/CM.

Hes been more that good enough for 2 out of 3 seasons ??? The guy has been a major flop ever since he signed.

Nazario1985

We all saw how FDJ played for Ajax so why the hell wouldn't we try to utilize him in that exact way? It's way more logical to buy another physicaly strong DM and play him next to FDJ than to request from FDJ to play like Rakitic or even worse lik Busi did back in 2011. We have paid 85 mil for this guy, he is currently our most expensive player and we know he can perform. We should try to find the way how to get him back on the right track and forget about grandpa Busi and his "way of playing".

Ajax play the same way with pretty much any name coming and going, they overhype player sell them and clubs like FCB get stuck with them.

The only exception in recent years is Ziyech i think.

Joan

this basically.

where are the guys that said we'll get 100M for him easily :lol:

Do you remember the forum discussing whether he has what it takes to go down as the best midfielders ever after that scoring streak last season? :lol:

I?m with you on this, basically right. Right position, perfect environment can only do so much. He has been decent but underwhelming for us the entire time with expectations in mind. He has almost never stepped up and proved what he?s apparently capable of.

He has mostly been deployed as a box to box player which gives him enough freedom to show his talent. In my opinion, his best games for Barca came from that position last year and when he was shortly deployed as a libero. He?s got this tendency to move the ball forward, advance it and abandon his position. With his limited defensive skills and slow passing he is not ideal for a sole CDM in a top side.

But as I said, something else is preventing him from performing well for Barca and it isn?t all about positions.

Some posters here are attached to him as if he was a family member and find all these ridiculous excuses for him.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
let's just try to see what FdJ's main strengths are instead of making him try to fit a "Barca DM" profile (whatever the fuck that is going by current Busquets).

His main attribute seems to be carrying the ball not circulating it like Busquets. He's also very good at evading press with the ball, drawing defenders to himself and making space for other players. (that's not to say he can't pass for shit, it's just not his main selling point)

Now you have your most physically complete defender in Araujo that has average ball playing skills.

Just imagine Araujo gets the ball and... bear with me here... it's collected deep by a DM who can carry it forward without Araujo having to play a risky pass or moving forward comprising the defensive positioning.

Contrast the above to Busquets being the DM and standing behind Araujo inviting unnecessary pressure and forcing the team to either play an uncomfortable (for Araujo) pass forward or playing it to Busquets who'll try to con the ref for a foul at the first sniff of pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans