Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Givenchy

Bar?a's technical staff were surprised by Frenkie de Jong's comments about his position on the pitch. They consider that his problem at Bar?a is his lack of leadership, not his tactical role.

? @fansjavimiguel

LOL

Club just doing everything to force his exit at this point.. sad. If a top club had been in for him he'd be way gone but United with no CL is a tough sell.

Probably for the best he just accepts it and leaves, Xavi is a clueless manager so he won't be missing much.

jamrock

We need to stop the narrative that we are selling Frankie to keep busquets, like it's a choice being made.

If we sell Frankie, it's because due to our finances we don't have much of a choice.

It's not a Frankie vs keep busquets situation.

It's Frankie vs Keeping the club going situation.

Hopefully with the few free signings we make, Torre and extending gavi, the midfield will be okay next season, based on his form since he's been at Barcelona we aren't losing KDB or anything, we'll be okay & if he goes he'll show he needs a certain setup to play his best football & he hasn't & probably won't get that here, so he's be fine as well.

Bobo32

When Frenkie has been the lone DM and given the freedom of Busquets he's played ok/good. We also ended up winning those games. Then Xavi comments some crap about x or y not being quite good enough with Frenkie, compared to Busquets. The absolute idiot can't understand Busquets has had that exact role for 12+ years now, even with the same CB behind him. Of course there'll be some things Busquets gets right, positioning/timing. And of course Frenkie is going to still be rusty and not as comfortable given he gets to play that role twice a season. Yet he still performs well enough. If Frenkie, Gavi and Pedri isn't the starting midfield next season then we don't deserve young talented players.

How about we give Frenkie half a season in that position and see what he can achieve? If not then sell him right now for anything above 70m.

Bad analysis.
He has been bad/ok in that position, and those who saw that admitted that he probably struggled partly because it's a new position for him.

After Frenkie plays CDM for half a season I don't think anyone will want to spend 70m on him...

JamDav1982

FDJ was best player on pitch in last game he played DM as Barca won 3-1... Busi at DM in five previous home games didnt have legs and Barca lost four of them.

'Unique skill set'.

Not his best position and wasted at DM but a better DM in modern day football than the likes of Busquets who hides, is as slow a player as will ever see and loses ball far too often these days.

Be prepared for teams breaking past the DM area all next season and Busi miles out of psition as he chases ball.

Nothing will change.

If FDJ is sold it is a footballing decision from Xavi that he leaves...Xavi thinks Busi is best DM in world and wants to play him as man who gets ball in midfield and others position themselves for him. There is no way to fit FDJ properly into a team playing like that to get best out of him.

Last edited:

malvolio

We need to stop the narrative that we are selling Frankie to keep busquets, like it's a choice being made.

If we sell Frankie, it's because due to our finances we don't have much of a choice.

Hopefully with the few free signings we make, Torre and extending gavi, the midfield will be okay next season, based on his form since he's been at Barcelona we aren't losing KDB or anything, we'll be okay & if he goes he'll show he needs a certain setup to play his best football & he hasn't & probably won't get that here, so he's be fine as well.

Woah buddy! You on the wrong forum with opinions like these.

No bitching and crying on how grandpa Busquets is stealing Frenkie's minutes and derailing his career?! I am disappoint.

Last edited:

malvolio

Bad analysis.
He has been bad/ok in that position, and those who saw that admitted that he probably struggled partly because it's a new position for him.

After Frenkie plays CDM for half a season I don't think anyone will want to spend 70m on him...

I may be wrong, but not many clubs are in for him even now. We know about United's interest, because of Ten Hag. Other than that I don't see great demand for him.

Rory

Bad analysis.

Easy to just say bad analysis, at least counter the multiple points made.

- He played ok/good in those matches. This is a subjective thing so neither are right.
- Busquets has had his role for over 12 years: true.
- Someone with that much experience would be better at things that generally improve with experience (positioning, timing). True
- Frenkie would not display his absolute best due to rarely playing that role. True.
- Yet he still performs well, subjective so we'll say neither true nor false.

Not seeing where I'm so terribly wrong.

Your analysis: If x happened maybe y would occur. Great.

fergus90

I like De Jong, although I have mainly been underwhelmed tbh but if the conditions are right he can be top class.

But I guess that's part of the problem, a) he needs particular conditions to be top class and b) he's probably not going to get that here rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo but things won't change).

It's almost a situation where both the club and player will benefit. The player gets to excel in a role he wants and the club gets to recoup major money from a player they cannot get the best out of.

The only problem is, you don't trust Barcelona to reinvest the money wisely. Can almost guarantee they will overpay for mediocrity.

JamDav1982

Woah buddy! You on the wrong forum with opinions like these.

No bitching and crying on how grandpa Busquets is stealing Frenkie's minutes and derailing his career?! I am disappoint.

Aye you still rate Busquets and all the other old players.

Love a scudding eh.

Bobo32

Easy to just say bad analysis, at least counter the multiple points made.

- He played ok/good in those matches. This is a subjective thing so neither are right.
- Busquets has had his role for over 12 years: true.
- Someone with that much experience would be better at things that generally improve with experience (positioning, timing). True
- Frenkie would not display his absolute best due to rarely playing that role. True.
- Yet he still performs well, subjective so we'll say neither true nor false.

Not seeing where I'm so terribly wrong.

Your analysis: If x happened maybe y would occur. Great.

You didn't feel the need to moan about the two previous posts praising your "analysis".

You bring five pointers, two of which you say are subjective, and the other three is the same thing and I'll just repeat again that he'll probably play a bit better in the position if he got to play there more.
But there are no signs that he'll ever become a good anchor for a Barcelona midfield. He lacks vision, elegance, aggressiveness for the position, and if he plays there his team lose out on some of his strengths like his stamina and runs, and need to make up for his tendency to drift away out of position.

Iniesta Ultra

We don't need another player on an infinity leash especially after years of playing here already hoping for a miracle. I'm just wondering how long Barca and Spain can start Torres, eventually Lucho's daughter's happiness and Xavi's bruised ego in denial will have to be reprioritized.

Rory

You didn't feel the need to moan about the two previous posts praising your "analysis".

You bring five pointers, two of which you say are subjective, and the other three is the same thing and I'll just repeat again that he'll probably play a bit better in the position if he got to play there more.
But there are no signs that he'll ever become a good anchor for a Barcelona midfield. He lacks vision, elegance, aggressiveness for the position, and if he plays there his team lose out on some of his strengths like his stamina and runs, and need to make up for his tendency to drift away out of position.

What, you mean the posts that agreed with my post? Why would I want them to expand on that?

Lacking vision is not such a deal breaker for a cdm but he passes between lines enough. Elegance is irrelevant. Aggressiveness I’d disagree, he regularly chases down opponents with intensity.

Xavi should be trying to phase out Busquets and playing the only other cm/dm in the team. The manager should improve him.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I think Xavi isnt really happy with Frenkie. Ofc the financial plays also a role but for me it looks like Xavi isnt so shocked about Frenkie's departure ( if the rumours are true). If the choice is Frenkie or Xavi then Xavi must go.

Bobo32

What, you mean the posts that agreed with my post? Why would I want them to expand on that?

Lacking vision is not such a deal breaker for a cdm but he passes between lines enough. Elegance is irrelevant. Aggressiveness I?d disagree, he regularly chases down opponents with intensity.

Xavi should be trying to phase out Busquets and playing the only other cm/dm in the team. The manager should improve him.

Because they lacked analysis. It is just as easy to write "good analysis" as "bad analysis".

I explained though that I disagree that he was good when tested in the position, and that I disagree that his criticizers didn't take his unfamiliarity into account when criticizing him.
The sentence about Barcelona not deserving talents if they don't play the midfield you like next season is just ridiculous.

He is very reluctant to press, rather falling and falling into the laps of the defense.
Elegance is extremely important for the position, when Frenkie plays there he turns and turns and waits and seeks, but mostly only end up finding the pass back to where it came from. Busquets spots the correct pass instantly.
Busquets is simply a better player still, in the 4-2-3-1 Koeman played with them both, Busquets was the better man despite playing out of position and Frenkie playing very much in position.

khaled_a_d

I like De Jong, although I have mainly been underwhelmed tbh but if the conditions are right he can be top class.

But I guess that's part of the problem, a) he needs particular conditions to be top class and b) he's probably not going to get that here rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo but things won't change).

It's almost a situation where both the club and player will benefit. The player gets to excel in a role he wants and the club gets to recoup major money from a player they cannot get the best out of.

The only problem is, you don't trust Barcelona to reinvest the money wisely. Can almost guarantee they will overpay for mediocrity.

Welcome back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans