Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raketa10

I like De Jong but to say about an 100m player he can only work in some ideal scenario is not right.

I agree but we also can't be 100% sure that Bernardo would succeed here. There are many factors that determine a players success or failure.

fergus90

It’s really difficult to know what De Jong’s actual level is.

Should he go on to another club and succeed it pretty much confirms he’s a great player like some claim and he was just misused. Or he pretty much keeps performing like he does, which is usually steady and it’s just another classic case of a footballer being very nice expensive after a breakout season and not actually being quite as good as hoped.

For a reasonable price though he’s a great asset for any squad

serghei

A red sign is that he is on the market and no top club wants him.

He seems to me a finnicky player that takes A LOT of dedicated work to get the best out of.

Joan

It is very close. This is the problem with De Jong. He should be comfortably better than a rookie kid and a free agent. He should be compared with the likes of De Bruyne for the money we paid on him.

There's quality and then there's a question of positions. It's hard to compare different players but I'd say Frenkie has considerably more quality than Kessie and Gavi for now. But when it comes to playing as interior, they are close. But that's what matters for us.

He is definitely overpriced and overpaid for what he provides. Part of the blame is on our poor scouting.

Re Pedri, he is a different player and brings something to the table other options don't. I think he's got his spot secured bar some prolonged period of dreadful form. Despite his inconsistency.

Joan

A red sign is that he is on the market and no top club wants him.

He seems to me a finnicky player that takes A LOT of dedicated work to get the best out of.

We're asking for a big fee and he's paid like one of the best midfielders in the world. It's a tough sell.

Since he came here, his career is going downwards. And yes, it's obviously not easy to get the best out of him.

Imagine he was a local product on reasonable wages we want to sell. What would his price tag be? I imagine much less than 80m.

serghei

I don't know how exactly, but the midfield has to deliver big time this season. I believe attack is pretty great, but they need proper service.

fergus90

If he had cost half the price, I don't think you'd find a Barca fan who'd be disappointed.

In my opinion De Jong's biggest issue is he's very one footed and that hinders him in many moments in a game.

serghei

De Jong wants to play deep but at the same time he wants the freedom to go up whenever he feels daring. Sorry, but that is not how it works.

I get what is Xavi's issue with him, but I disagree Busi is a better option. I'd rather go with De Jong DM and work on his flaws and bad tendencies.

A bit odd how much De Jong likes to go forward considering his attacking instincts are average at best. He needs to learn the art of restraint.

Last edited:

serghei

We're asking for a big fee and he's paid like one of the best midfielders in the world. It's a tough sell.

Since he came here, his career is going downwards. And yes, it's obviously not easy to get the best out of him.

Imagine he was a local product on reasonable wages we want to sell. What would his price tag be? I imagine much less than 80m.

I think it's out already that he is not versatile enough for what most teams play. He is like the Ozil of CMs.

serghei

What areas when you look at his game you think he is really weak in?

Weak or mediocre in last pass, shooting, overall decision making in the final 3rd. Kessie is better than him probably at attacking.

He should basically cut down his time on the ball by a lot. And up his quick one time passing. Keep position more and cut down on his runs because his continuation is average. It is useless to carry the ball in the last third if you don't have a final pass and you don't shoot when in a good position.

Last edited:

serghei

Take City. Does he have Gundogan's or De Bruyne's productivoty in offense? No. He just wants initiative with no justification in terms of productivity.

Joan

He takes too much time with the ball. Till he knows what to do, things have already happened. And his instinct is to run forward. He abandons his positions. That's why he won't succeed as a single pivot or as a CB in a 4 at the back system. [MENTION=22060]fergus90[/MENTION] is spot on on his one footedness.

That's what I don't like about him.

serghei

Yea, good spot by [MENTION=22060]fergus90[/MENTION]. One footedness and instinct to travel with the ball at the expense of keeping position. It's as if he doesn't think in advance, only in the moment.

He is a player of action and instinct, in a position where you need to be cool-headed.

Givenchy

Yea, good spot by [MENTION=22060]fergus90[/MENTION]. One footedness and instinct to travel with the ball at the expense of keeping position. It's as if he doesn't think in advance, only in the moment.

He is a player of action and instinct, in a position where you need to be cool-headed.

He was doing the same at CB in preseason. I know I know he is a midfielder in a CB's body but it still shows he lacks discipline or at least understanding in how Xavi wants him to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans