Gareth Bale

JamDav1982

I think that's the point.

I don't believe the fantasy story that Perez buys a player for 100-140M just for his skills.

He does it for money too. That's my personal opinion, but I think perez views Bale as the next CR.

We'll see i guess.

100% he does it for both. No argument there.

It does though and Real Madrid know it fine.

Buying and keeping star players they realised long ago is important to building and maintaining a fan base.

Why did they keep buying Galacticos? Even when it was not a huge success on the pitch? Because each player brought more and more revenue regardless of who was there already.

Real Madrid know what they are doing. Just look at the money they make every year.

Why did they keep buying Galacticos? Because they WERE galacticos. Zidane, Ronaldo9, Figo all were much better players, more known in world football for not even close the same money. Beckham was probably the best marketing machine since Michael Jordan in all of sports. That's why this model worked. If you could sign a player close to those galacticos it would make perfect sense, but not a cheap copy of the only true galactico they have left.

JamDav1982

Why did they keep buying Galacticos? Because they WERE galacticos. Zidane, Ronaldo9, Figo all were much better players, more known in world football for not even close the same money. Beckham was probably the best marketing machine since Michael Jordan in all of sports. That's why this model worked. If you could sign a player close to those galacticos it would make perfect sense, but not a cheap copy of the only true galactico they have left.

They are predicting Bale is/will be one of the best players in the world.

The point was made that signing another star player wont make a difference as this is Ronaldos Real. It doesnt work like that.

The more stars and big names you get the bigger the revenues will grow no matter who is there already.

For example clearly Neymar will have a positive impact on Barcelonas finances and that is Messi's Barcelona and Neymar might even be the 5th best player.

Bertus

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd all have massive debt but can cope with it easily and are not worried about it.

Real Madrid are now the strongest sports brand in the world and they wont be losing any sleep over that level of debt.

No other country would allow that debt? What about Man Utd?
I didn't say that no country would allow it. Just that it would not pass so easily as a "there's nothing to see here".

As for MU. Some fans of them that I know are worried about that debt. Dunno about the club representatives.

100% he does it for both. No argument there.

And what I said is, I'm not sure he'll become as marketable. Even if I am a big fan of him, i'm not sure.

Not sure he's as talented on the field, not sure he has the face to come with it.

He's more talented than Becks tho, but becks is not an ugly walking monkey.

I know asian women can have weird tastes, but when i hear (and there are people who said that to me), that Bale will be as big as Becks or CR in asian countries, especially to women, I don't believe it.

Asian people also can see it when a person is good looking or ugly. Despite being a big fan of bale, I don't think asian people will view Bale as top model as they see CR or Becks (becks in particular).

Hence i don't see Bale becoming a phenomeon like beckham in asia.

JamDav1982

I didn't say that no country would allow it. Just that it would not pass so easily as a "there's nothing to see here".

As for MU. Some fans of them that I know are worried about that debt. Dunno about the club representatives.

And what I said is, I'm not sure he'll become as marketable. Even if I am a big fan of him, i'm not sure.

Not sure he's as talented on the field, not sure he has the face to come with it.

He's more talented than Becks tho, but becks is not an ugly walking monkey.

I know asian women can have weird tastes, but when i hear (and there are people who said to me), that Bale will be as big as Becks or CR in asian countries, I don't believe it.

Asian people also can see it when a person is good looking or ugly. Despite being a big fan of bale, I don't see asian people will view Bale as top model as they see CR or Becks (becks in particular)

You are saying you are not sure he will be as marketable as Beckham and Ronaldo. Thats fine but you are arguing with yourself there as I dont see anyone else claiming it either.

Who on earth has said he will be as big as Beckham and Ronaldo in Asia?

You seem to make other people points for them and then argue against it.

Bertus

They are predicting Bale is/will be one of the best players in the world.

They are making a bet too when they buy him 100M.

It's not a prediction with that kind of big money, it's a bet.

I'm on the side that he will become the next big thing. Yet I totally understand that it might not happen. And if it doesn't happen, that deal would forever be seen as a very bad deal.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

Bertus

You are saying you are not sure he will be as marketable as Beckham and Ronaldo. Thats fine but you are arguing with yourself there as I dont see anyone else claiming it either.

Who on earth has said he will be as big as Beckham and Ronaldo in Asia?

You seem to make other people points for them and then argue against it.

I listen to debate on radios in France mostly. And many people do. Spanish, English, french people. Not only "fans" but pro too.

Also Beast here said that bale will be very big in Asia and America. And argued with us a lot when we said he'll not be as big as CR and becks marketing wise.

So yeah, many people say it. Not you, but many do.

JamDav1982

I listen to debate on radios in France mostly. And many people do. Spanish, English, french people. Not only "fans" but pro too.

Also Beast here said that bale will be very big in Asia and America. And argued with us a lot when we said he'll not be as big as CR and becks marketing wise.

So yeah, many people say it. Not you, but many do.

Well I have not seen anyone claiming that or read about people claiming it either.

Other than you.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
No other country would allow that debt? What about Man Utd?

Utd's debt is a different kind of debt... A rich fat owner of Utd, who had no debts, decided to take rest and spend the money. He sold it to their current owners. It's just that they didn't have enough money to buy a club hence they took a large amount of debt to make the move.

So the football community wouldn't bother about their debts as long as they give the wages to their players... coz it's the debt of the owners, not the club!!

oz187

Maybe no one thinks Bale is going to be as marketable as Beckham or Cristiano. But if he isn't that marketable it's going to be hard to justify a world record transfer fee.

Beast

The Observer
Regarding shirt sales i think many people are missing the point here

how many of you will go and buy "Under Armour " brand ? how many of you have "Under Armour " shop in his city /country ? how many of you will consider buying it ?

now remove "Under Armour " and put Nike, Adidas , Puma .... and see if your reply will be different

when you compare kit sales you have to compare apples with apples... i would sure buy an Adidas but i wouldn't waste money on an under Armour a brand virtually unknown

You cannot compare the commercials Nike and Adidas make for their top team brands (Barca, United , Arsenal, PSG / Real , Milan , Chelsea, Germany) to something Under Armour do...
I won't even go into the dark area of what Spurs is affiliated with which makes their sales in terms of kits not that popular in many parts of the middle east & the Muslim world

Until Bale moves to a bigger team (and for us it's a bless because his shoe sponsor are also Adidas and i'm sure they are asking for the marquee signing to be also an Adidas man ) his commercial value will be correctly evaluated

S7_MUFC

This is getting ridiculous, Just sell him for 100m and move on........and as far as I'm aware most clubs like United are paid lump sum and all the proceeds from shirt sales goes to Nike except the sales made from clubs megastore......but I heard a few seasons back that real has kit deal in which they are paid certain % of each shirt sold......

mixer

Barcelona sounded out Tottenham on Gareth Bale in summer 2011. The asking price was then 40M, which Barcelona considered too high. [md]

Home of Barca Fans