Gerard Deulofeu

Jadentheman

if hes not going to start games whats the point of being at everton he has more talent than any of the starting 11
he could either start for barca b or sit on the first team bench.

He's not as good as anyone in the starting 11 yet, but he needs playing time to get there and Maritnez isn't giving him any...

He has more talent for sure, but it could be the case of Martinez still easing him in or Deulo is either not showing enough in training to warrant any playing. This is BPL, deulo needs to step his game up or he could just be another overrated La Masia product. Hopefully he gets his chance soon and breakouts.

ShandyFFM

No playingtime again. Wondering if he made he right decision with this team. Perhaps he should have some clausel with playingtime in his contract

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Starting to think a liga team would've been better for him. Other loanees like Rafinha, Suso, or Saul have all had loads of consideration from their respective clubs and had great starts. Deulofeu could've been better off going to Sevilla, Celta, or perhaps Betis.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
if hes not going to start games whats the point of being at everton he has more talent than any of the starting 11
he could either start for barca b or sit on the first team bench.

Sorry but at this point in his career he isn't better than neither Mirallas or Pienaar. But of course he has a much high ceiling than definitely Pienaar and probably Mirallas. But he'll have to do very well to reach Mirallas level first.

Robbie

Moral of the story? Don't send players to Martinez. We gave them Ryo for a year and all he did was sit on the bench, even when he played well in the couple of times he was allowed on the pitch

Jenks

“Gerard is someone who is going to take a little bit of time to understand the physicality of the Premier League,” Martinez said.

“It is such a different game to the one he is used to so we need to be a bit patient and give him a little bit of time.

“But the talent he does have will be very helpful to the team.”

He probably has a point. Eric Dier said coming back to England was a big culture shock football-wise, and took him months to get used to the differences. It'll probably be less of a transition under Martinez than Moyes, but still. That said, I do think people are overrating him somewhat. I certainly don't buy into the idea that he has a higher ceiling than everyone else in the team based on what (admittedly little) I've seen of him.

Darko

Couldnt understand why he went to Everton in the 1st place,should have went somewhere he would get regular playing time.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Starting to think a liga team would've been better for him. Other loanees like Rafinha, Suso, or Saul have all had loads of consideration from their respective clubs and had great starts. Deulofeu could've been better off going to Sevilla, Celta, or perhaps Betis.

Absolutely

Meitux

I agree with you guys, it was a wrong move really. Everton of all teams is a team that always sticks with one particular line up, and Martinez is of this way too. He doesn't have too much faith and trust of playing youngsters...

Last edited:

gunnerthoughts

Robbie, Ryo got two injuries and was never fully fit to start a game for Wigan.

I'll be following Deulofeu closely this season, and will probably be making match comps of all his games. Here was his game against Valencia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgpRmKxCYBc

One thing I noticed was that he struggled a lot defensively that game. Couldn't track runners and was often isolated too far up the pitch. Didn't allow him to be involved much in build up either. But he did stretch the defence on occasions and provided great width.

Either way, will be interesting to see him in the Premier League this season. Hopefully he gets the minutes.

Xtroverto

Going to Everton was a mistake IMO, Martinez is under huge pressure to perform after Moyes, he will not gamble with Deulofeu, at most Deulofeu will get the odd sub when a game is either already lost or won, I will be surprised if Deulofeu get more than 5 games until x-mas break.

Deulofeu is going down the same path as did before him Bojan and Dos Santos, going to a team he has no business playing for in the first place. These youngsters should go to a crap team in la liga where they are guaranteed their 25-30 matches, such as Almeria, Hercules, Huelva, Tarragona, Xerez etc. Teams that have no business in la liga and where they will get a chance to learn the hard way to play against superior teams.

Home of Barca Fans