Gerard Deulofeu

The Observer

He played in a different system, with a different role of the one he was supposed to be playing here. If you call it environment than yes, I just never used the word for this.
reading back to your previous post, you didn't get what I said. The system and role a player has is important, Neymar happened to play in a similar one, and that's why he fitted in fast.

As I said. Culés just can't accept that he's not Xavi 2.0. How can you say which role he was supposed to play when he left the team with 16?! Xavi himself was "supposed" to be Guardiola's heir as a deep-lying playmaker but he only really excelled much much later once he was moved further forward, playing almost like a #10 and setting throughball and assist records. Fabregas, even if he stayed, wouldn't have become a completely different player than he is now. That's simply not how footballers develop at that age. For example you can't turn Sergi Samper into an assist machine like Cesc just by "giving him a different role". That will never work. Wenger just played Cesc according to his natural strengths like it would have happened at Barca.

F

Flavia

As I said. Culés just can't accept that he's not Xavi 2.0. How can you say which role he was supposed to play when he left the team with 16?! Xavi himself was "supposed" to be Guardiola's heir as a deep-lying playmaker but he only really excelled much much later once he was moved further forward, playing almost like a #10 and setting throughball and assist records. Fabregas, even if he stayed, wouldn't have become a completely different player than he is now. That's simply not how footballers develop at that age. For example you can't turn Sergi Samper into an assist machine like Cesc just by "giving him a different role". That will never work. Wenger just played Cesc according to his natural strengths like it would have happened at Barca.

I know he's not Xavi 2.0. It wasn't me who put that label on him, and I never saw the need to buy him. He was labeled so hard even Cesc himself was trying to be Xavi 2.0. You can find a recent interview of him admiting he was trying to be a player he is not.
Imo Ozil would've been a better and cheaper choice. Cesc wasn't needed and he's still struggling to find his place in the team after 2 seasons, seeing he's not benching Xavi or Iniesta. He surely wasn't brought to replace Iniesta, altough cesc's been playing better this season. Also, you have no way to know how he would develop if he stayed, this kind of speculation is pointless. But Cesc example was just to show a player molded in the pl won't necessarily fit in immediately at Barça.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Deulofeu is a different player alltogether though. He is supposed to bring something new to the board rather than replace someone.

Would not mind a player in the Ronaldo mould. Of course im not saying that he is gonna become another Ronaldo, but it would not be bad to have someone with similar style of play in the team. The attack is certainly gonna become versatile in that case.

JamDav1982

I know he's not Xavi 2.0. It wasn't me who put that label on him, and I never saw the need to buy him. He was labeled so hard even Cesc himself was trying to be Xavi 2.0. You can find a recent interview of him admiting he was trying to be a player he is not.
Imo Ozil would've been a better and cheaper choice. Cesc wasn't needed and he's still struggling to find his place in the team after 2 seasons, seeing he's not benching Xavi or Iniesta. He surely wasn't brought to replace Iniesta, altough cesc's been playing better this season. Also, you have no way to know how he would develop if he stayed, this kind of speculation is pointless. But Cesc example was just to show a player molded in the pl won't necessarily fit in immediately at Barça.

He is just one example though and plenty of players have come to and from Barcelona from other leagues and fitted in. Some like Larsson have even come from Scotland and fitted right in! The league they come from is nowhere near as important as the quality of the player.

Cesc has fitted in when asked to be the player he was at Arsenal and has probably been the best midfielder this season as you said.

He has never shown to be a Xavi type player - not in Barca youth teams, not in Spanish youth teams, not at Arsenal and not with Spain. I cant believe that Barcelona did not know the player they were signing.

If he was not needed then the blame for that lies at the door of Pep.

F

Flavia

He is just one example though and plenty of players have come to and from Barcelona from other leagues and fitted in. Some like Larsson have even come from Scotland and fitted right in! The league they come from is nowhere near as important as the quality of the player.

Cesc has fitted in when asked to be the player he was at Arsenal and has probably been the best midfielder this season as you said.

He has never shown to be a Xavi type player - not in Barca youth teams, not in Spanish youth teams, not at Arsenal and not with Spain. I cant believe that Barcelona did not know the player they were signing.

If he was not needed then the blame for that lies at the door of Pep.

It wasn't just Pep wanting Cesc back, the whole club was at fault. It was at such level even Pique and Puyol did that prank on Cesc. He was linked for what, 4 summers in a row by the press, till it happened. And many people disagree with you about him being a xavi type of player. I've seen many claiming he was just that at arsenal, though I don't agree.

And about this: "I cant believe that Barcelona did not know the player they were signing." Really? after so many fiascos recently? I don't care if by pep(chygrynskiy), txiki(keirrison, henrique) or zubi(song).

JamDav1982

It wasn't just Pep wanting Cesc back, the whole club was at fault. It was at such level even Pique and Puyol did that prank on Cesc. He was linked for what, 4 summers in a row by the press, till it happened. And many people disagree with you about him being a xavi type of player. I've seen many claiming he was just that at arsenal, though I don't agree.

And about this: "I cant believe that Barcelona did not know the player they were signing." Really? after so many fiascos recently? I don't care if by pep(chygrynskiy), txiki(keirrison, henrique) or zubi(song).

Pep was the manager and he was the one pushing for Cesc. He had the power at the club to decide what players came and went. The buck stops with him on this one and he could have stopped it if he didnt feel he was the correct type of player.

He was nothing like Xavi at Arsenal anyone claiming that is utterly clue less.

Mistakes have been made on players in the past, most of whom have not been good enough in all honest but I do agree they got Song wrong. But Cesc had been in the system and played with the Barcelona players numerous times in the past. It is far more unlikely they did not know what type of player he was.

Paganinisrvnge

Why do people act like it's completely sacrilegious to play anything besides 80% possession tiki-taka. Tiki-taka was beautiful and amazing during Pep's time but it was beaten in Pep's last season and looked downright pathetic in some matches last season when Tito had the team have like 80% possession but look toothless in the final third. A team of all Xavi's would be atrocious as they'd just pass it around without being able to score as well as a real striker. Deulofeu will come back a much better player. Just because Everton play in the EPL doesn't mean they strictly play hoofball. In fact, none of the top 5 or 6 teams in the EPL play actual hoofball. Only the shittier teams. It's not like the teams in the bottom half of La Liga are exactly playing a beautiful symphony of football, huh?

Alg1878

You maybe interested to know that Gerard now has his own song to the tune of Magic by Pilot, simple but catchy :)

Oh oh oh he's magic
you know
Gerard Deulofeu

DinhoR10

Why do people act like it's completely sacrilegious to play anything besides 80% possession tiki-taka. Tiki-taka was beautiful and amazing during Pep's time but it was beaten in Pep's last season and looked downright pathetic in some matches last season when Tito had the team have like 80% possession but look toothless in the final third. A team of all Xavi's would be atrocious as they'd just pass it around without being able to score as well as a real striker. Deulofeu will come back a much better player. Just because Everton play in the EPL doesn't mean they strictly play hoofball. In fact, none of the top 5 or 6 teams in the EPL play actual hoofball. Only the shittier teams. It's not like the teams in the bottom half of La Liga are exactly playing a beautiful symphony of football, huh?

I'm fine with 60-70% possession but i cross the line with constant balls over the top. If you want to be vertical fine but keep the ball on the ground. Against Cartegena half the game we just booted to the opposition and the only ones who kept possession were the defense, it was a disgrace.

Home of Barca Fans