Gerard Deulofeu

Zangash

Banned
Good observation. That was a big weakness of his last season too. Things he has to develop and I'm not too sure the Nou Camp is a place you would choose for that.

Of course it isn't! He should absolutely go back to Everton on loan. Should have stayed in Liverpool! Haha... I'm just going to go back to ignoring you.

He came on and became an instant upgrade to Pedro. Willing to take his man on, shoot, and can create space for himself to dribble or go for goal when it doesn't seem possible. Just having a player there willing to TRY to drive in the box when lacking support instead of going for a wasteful shot or aimless cross is something we really need. He hasn't scored yet but that's mainly down to Lucho showing a strong preference to players set not to have as much playing time this season.

He should be able to put in solid performances against the likes of Granada and Getafe and Elche and that will help him start to build up the experience we were hoping he'd be getting at Everton that he frustratingly never truly received. Neymar is destined to get injured again at some point and we really shouldn't play Messi and Suarez in every single game, so if Lucho has an eye on both the present and the future (As opposed to the past) Gerard should overtake Pedro as the 4th choice forward behind our little trio of death.

NotInHere

I understand players trying to ahow themselves, but Deu over does it, almost every time he touched the ball he was teying to take it upon himself to score, he needs to work on his association with his teammates a lot, were not a one man team.

What I like though is his aggression.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Seems like Lucho is really grilling Deulofeu to do more work defensively. Great man management and it'll help make him a more complete player. He's gradually learning his lesson and giving more.

Showed similar things today. Amazing skill, wicked shot, reserved team play. We'll see a more self sacrificial Deulofeu when he's playing with better players in a better attacking unit. Right now we're good defensively and in midfield but our offense is still lacking bar individual abilities. There weren't many collective attacking efforts in the time when Deulo was on and the circumstances he found himself in called for him to force things. There's a lot of room to improve and the coaching staff is taking him down the path to do just that.

Zangash

Banned
Seems like Lucho is really grilling Deulofeu to do more work defensively. Great man management and it'll help make him a more complete player. He's gradually learning his lesson and giving more.

Showed similar things today. Amazing skill, wicked shot, reserved team play. We'll see a more self sacrificial Deulofeu when he's playing with better players in a better attacking unit. Right now we're good defensively and in midfield but our offense is still lacking bar individual abilities. There weren't many collective attacking efforts in the time when Deulo was on and the circumstances he found himself in called for him to force things. There's a lot of room to improve and the coaching staff is taking him down the path to do just that.

I honestly think getting minutes with the first team is the best way for him to grow at this point. Both right now and when he was at Everton he scarcely had someone to feed the ball to and his incoming supply was atrocious. I'm quite certain when Messi and Iniesta and Rakatic are around we'll see Deulofeu play more similarly to what we saw in his cameo for VdB.

Adversus

Of course it isn't! He should absolutely go back to Everton on loan. Should have stayed in Liverpool! Haha... I'm just going to go back to ignoring you.

He came on and became an instant upgrade to Pedro. Willing to take his man on, shoot, and can create space for himself to dribble or go for goal when it doesn't seem possible. Just having a player there willing to TRY to drive in the box when lacking support instead of going for a wasteful shot or aimless cross is something we really need. He hasn't scored yet but that's mainly down to Lucho showing a strong preference to players set not to have as much playing time this season.

He should be able to put in solid performances against the likes of Granada and Getafe and Elche and that will help him start to build up the experience we were hoping he'd be getting at Everton that he frustratingly never truly received. Neymar is destined to get injured again at some point and we really shouldn't play Messi and Suarez in every single game, so if Lucho has an eye on both the present and the future (As opposed to the past) Gerard should overtake Pedro as the 4th choice forward behind our little trio of death.

That ship has sailed, he won't be coming back. I just said he should have stayed.

No-one doubts his ability as a super sub to come on and win a game with a bit of individual brilliance but that's not going to help develop him as a player.

Hopefully he will overtake Pedro but right now Pedro is the much better team player so it will be risky to start him and if he does start he'll have to improve his overall game very quickly and that will be tough to do under the pressure of playing for Barca.

Zangash

Banned
That ship has sailed, he won't be coming back. I just said he should have stayed.

Wrong. If he wasn't going to start every single game Everton plays next season there wouldn't have been a point in him staying. Considering he didn't even start a fraction of your games last season, there was no reason to think he'd be starting as much as he'd need to be to necessitate us loaning you a player slated for greatness since he joined 11 years ago. Sorry.

No-one doubts his ability as a super sub to come on and win a game with a bit of individual brilliance but that's not going to help develop him as a player.

He doesn't have to be used exclusively as a super sub. He will easily be able to play against the likes of Celta, Rayo, Malaga, etc. It's the games against Bayern, Madrid, Atletico, etc. that he won't be ready for, but consdiering we have Neymar, Messi, and Suarez, I don't think anyone is expecting him to be ready for those games just yet. Playing these smaller games in La Liga and the CL are how we traditionally develop our players. Sending him to Everton was a stupid move in the first place when we had quality teams in need of players in his position asking to bring him in on loan. He'd have competed in the Europa league and gotten to play as a consistent starter if he'd have gone to Sevilla. Luckily, we're a lot smarter now and sent Denis Suarez to them instead of some other team in that overrated cesspool of mediocrity that is the BPL.

Hopefully he will overtake Pedro but right now Pedro is the much better team player so it will be risky to start him and if he does start he'll have to improve his overall game very quickly and that will be tough to do under the pressure of playing for Barca.

No, Pedro is better at two things:

1. Passing to Messi
2. Tracking back to defend

Anything other than that is highly overstated and not on base at all. His ability to pass to Messi has yet to be tested and it likely won't be until the season starts, and his tracking back is something both he and Lucho are making clear that they're trying to fix. Lucho said today that he's happy with how effective Gerard is in the attack, but he needs to work on his defending. We have only seen him play parts of a few preseason games where him tracking back hasn't been as necessarily needed, though, so he could quite possibly be willing to track back when asked to. Enrique had Adama Traore running in a full sprint just for the sake of pressuring him to slow the counterattack, so I don't think it's too farfetched to think he can make Deulofeu do it to.

As far as the pressure of playing for Barca goes, he's been at the club more or less his entire life. I think he knows how to do it just fine. Playing for Everton was where the pressure was really at. Proving yourself to a new coach with new teammates in a new team in a new country has got to be harder than playing for a coach you've had with the B team in a club you grew up in playing a style you grew up with alongside players you've both idolized and grew up with.

Home of Barca Fans