Gerard Deulofeu

Zangash

Banned
Apparently the rumour is that Martinez didn't want him back probably because he wouldn't get the minutes he needs now that we have Atsu and are close to signing Henen (who is a Belgian and another "next Christiano Ronaldo" lol) so we don't have the room for him.

If he couldn't get on Everton's team as a starter he's bound to struggle at Sevilla too but I hope he will do well at Sevilla.

Did you ever think that Martinez was benching him for the same reasons Lucho has put him out on loan? It's called man-management, this is not some video game where you just give young players game-time and they become world class.

That's cute and all but we all know how much you'd like to have him back. With Everton being in the Europa league they'll need more depth than they did in Roberto's first season.

You probably can't name a single player playing for Sevilla aside from Denis Suarez but you're certain he's bound to struggle there. I know several Sevilla fans who are over the moon about getting him from us because he's a better attacker than their current wingers, although they say Unai may have to alter his formation a bit, although I disagree as Deulofeu doesn't have to be used as an out and out winger as his Barca background may suggest.

Yes, Martinez almost certainly benched him for the same reason Lucho is loaning him out again. That's the problem. Everton is not such a good team that they can't afford to let him play. He's going to Sevilla for the purpose of getting game time. Players don't develop sitting on the bench. You're so quick to say it's not a video game where you just give them playing time to help them improve but to be perfectly fucking honest with you that's exactly how it works. Busquets didn't walk into the team one day and kick Yaya Toure out of the team. Pedro didn't just slip from the shadows from out of nowhere and outperform Thiery Henry from his first day. Xavi rode the bench early in his career behind Pep and didn't get fully going until he was near his prime because of it. If a player is to improve they need to not only be told how to improve, but be given a real chance to show that improvement. He has already shown he is able and willing to track back and help defend. His problem now is decision making and there's no better way to improve that than to actually play.

Adversus

That's cute and all but we all know how much you'd like to have him back. With Everton being in the Europa league they'll need more depth than they did in Roberto's first season.

You probably can't name a single player playing for Sevilla aside from Denis Suarez but you're certain he's bound to struggle there. I know several Sevilla fans who are over the moon about getting him from us because he's a better attacker than their current wingers, although they say Unai may have to alter his formation a bit, although I disagree as Deulofeu doesn't have to be used as an out and out winger as his Barca background may suggest.

Yes, Martinez almost certainly benched him for the same reason Lucho is loaning him out again. That's the problem. Everton is not such a good team that they can't afford to let him play. He's going to Sevilla for the purpose of getting game time. Players don't develop sitting on the bench. You're so quick to say it's not a video game where you just give them playing time to help them improve but to be perfectly fucking honest with you that's exactly how it works. Busquets didn't walk into the team one day and kick Yaya Toure out of the team. Pedro didn't just slip from the shadows from out of nowhere and outperform Thiery Henry from his first day. Xavi rode the bench early in his career behind Pep and didn't get fully going until he was near his prime because of it. If a player is to improve they need to not only be told how to improve, but be given a real chance to show that improvement. He has already shown he is able and willing to track back and help defend. His problem now is decision making and there's no better way to improve that than to actually play.

As recently as 2 days ago I watched them in the Super Cup final. In fact Everton where rumoured to be interested in Bacca.

Anyway what's that got to do with anything, they won the Europa League so that alone means they would have competition for places even if I didn't know anyone.

As for Deulofeu.

Of course I would want him back. He's a player that can change matches but he wouldn't get on our starting 11 instead of Atsu who is a couple of years older and more of a team player and he's not going to replace Mirallas on the other side which means he would be an impact sub or playing the lesser teams which isn't what Deulofeu needs at this stage plus we have our own kids that we need to give minutes to.

As I said a week or so ago. That ship has sailed. We've moved on. I wish him all the best but for now it's best for him that he goes somewhere he'll get more game-time and quite frankly La Liga is probably better. I just hope at Sevilla he's able to hold down a starting position.

As for the whole minutes thing. As many people keep trying to tell you even if it did work like that which it doesn't but even if it did when they get them they need to prove they deserve more. You can't keep giving players minutes over other better players. They need to be in the team on merit. If Deulofeu didn't play enough at Everton don't blame Everton.

Last edited:

BarcaVillain

LE's first poor decision. Give the kid a chance surrounded by real quality, especially since our options are limited with Alexis, Tello and Affelay gone, Suarez banned and Pedro just....Pedro.

This was his opportunity to show what he could do. Shame.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
LE's first poor decision. Give the kid a chance surrounded by real quality, especially since our options are limited with Alexis, Tello and Affelay gone, Suarez banned and Pedro just....Pedro.

This was his opportunity to show what he could do. Shame.

Deulofeu would be better off playing every week at Sevilla than sitting on the bench at Barca. Relax, Deulo will be back next summer to replace Pedro.

spark

According to Sique Rodriguez, Sevilla have to pay an economic penalty if he doesnt play the required amount. I think hes easily better than Aleix Vidal, Jairo and Vitolo so barring injury he will get in the team one way or the other.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
According to Sique Rodriguez, Sevilla have to pay an economic penalty if he doesnt play the required amount. I think hes easily better than Aleix Vidal, Jairo and Vitolo so barring injury he will get in the team one way or the other.

Good.

Zangash

Banned
Deulofeu will outscore Neymar in La liga watch this space.

Very few things in life can make me mark out in large fashion. The shooting starKO. Munir half field goal. Messi hat trick at 19. Sextuple winning season.

Deulofeu outscoring Neymar would be up there with those on the excitement level, for me. It's entirely possible if Neymar plays the way he did last season. I still find it unlikely, though.

CuleLife4Life

Normal decision. How can a backup of Everton play for Barca?

He wasn't loaned because he was crap. He was loaned for experience that wasn't going to be there for him at Barca. I see him as no different than Pedro, Xavi, Putol, Messi, etc. He is still a great prospect from La Masia, it will just take him longer to get on the 1st team.

Neeraj

Hmm, strange move indeed. So if our best front 3 is Neymar Messi Suarez (post ban), the only established player we would have as a backup for ANY 3 of those guys not playing (which would happen a LOT) is Pedro? That doesn't seem right.. I

get that Gerard isn't established either, but I really thought he was going to be a first team player this season with the unveiling and all that jazz, so it seems strange you'd let him go on loan unless you had something in mind. I didn't think we were going to

get Cuadrado this season uptil now, when it just seems to be the only explanation, because otherwise we are really short on squad depth aren't we? I mean Bale Benzema Ronaldo Rodriguez Jese Di Maria..That's depth on another level but having just Pedro and

calling up some players from the B team when required seems a bit underwhelming no?

Home of Barca Fans