Gerard Deulofeu

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Be patient with him. He should be allowed to make the same mistakes all young players make. No matter his status and hype some years ago.
The thing is Deu has to realize too that he should be humble and behave normally. He has all the talent but should be eager to learn more every day so he can develop an understanding of the game.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Be patient with him. He should be allowed to make the same mistakes all young players make. No matter his status and hype some years ago.

The thing is Deu has to realize too that he should be humble and behave normally. He has all the talent but should be eager to learn more every day so he can develop an understanding of the game.

I agree. And I think he is trying to learn. Earlier this season, Emery wanted Deulo to put more work into defense, and he's doing that.

Zangash

Banned
I'm sorry but this forum overrates Deu a lot. He had a HUGE opportunity to show his worth against RM but he was so invisible that even my commentators were saying that it's like Sevilla was playing with 10 men.

Real Madrid? Not even this forum's precious Pedro can make an appearance against Real Madrid at 27 even when playing alongside some of the best players in history but Deulofeu playing with a team that are all collectively playing like utter shit will never be good enough?

If he had a good game against Madrid he'd have far exceeded expectations. I don't have to be overrating him to think expecting a standout game from him against Madrid is fucking stupid.

And while we're talking about Denis Suarez, I can't think of a player with a smaller chance of making our first team. Not with Rafinha, Samper, and Halilovic all being ahead of him on top of the usual Xavi, Iniesta, and Rakatic.

Richard.H

Real Madrid? Not even this forum's precious Pedro can make an appearance against Real Madrid at 27 even when playing alongside some of the best players in history but Deulofeu playing with a team that are all collectively playing like utter shit will never be good enough?

If he had a good game against Madrid he'd have far exceeded expectations. I don't have to be overrating him to think expecting a standout game from him against Madrid is fucking stupid.

And while we're talking about Denis Suarez, I can't think of a player with a smaller chance of making our first team. Not with Rafinha, Samper, and Halilovic all being ahead of him on top of the usual Xavi, Iniesta, and Rakatic.

Read the message again.

The whole Sevilla team was bad against RM, missing chances left and right. However, Deu was extra bad. I'm not sure if you even watched the match. I didn't even know he was in the starting lineup until minute 28 or 29.

In fact I don't think I watched a single match from Deu this season where he had a standout performance. I think I may have watched one during Europa League but nothing comes to mind beyond that.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The whole Sevilla team was bad against RM, missing chances left and right. However, Deu was extra bad. I'm not sure if you even watched the match. I didn't even know he was in the starting lineup until minute 28 or 29.

In fact I don't think I watched a single match from Deu this season where he had a standout performance. I think I may have watched one during Europa League but nothing comes to mind beyond that.

MOTM performance against Feyenoord? Is that the game you're thinking of?

Anyway, here's what Monchi has to say about Deulo:

Monchi (sports director Sevilla): "At end of loan, Deulofeu will be a better player. He's more mature, but still has to be more consistent."

Last edited:

spark

I'm sorry but this forum overrates Deu a lot. He had a HUGE opportunity to show his worth against RM but he was so invisible that even my commentators were saying that it's like Sevilla was playing with 10 men.

This forum has a crazy obsession with certain Canteranos. Denis Suarez, Samper, and Sandro are maybe the only ones who have a chance with Barca.

To be honest when you think Denis has been killing it ,even though only thing he has been killing for a while is... attacks with bad passes and time on the bench, you probably aren't best placed to judge the rest of the forum. Plus, as far I can read, the only one doing any overrating here is you with Denis, Sandro and Munir. Comparing him him to Sergi Roberto and judging him based on an away game at the Bernabeu in which Sevilla played 3 defensive midfielders is head shake worthy.

Zangash

Banned
Read the message again.

All that means is you haven't been watching. You probably watched him play against Madrid (Which I admittedly did not watch, as it was during class hours on a weekday for me) and judge him completely on that game alone.

And seriously, if you think Suarez has been killing it, you have not been watching. It's a wonder how you see Suarez is doing better because he sat on the bench while Deulofeu was trusted enough to play in the Bernebeu, and by the way, he was only trusted to play that game in the first place because he was, indeed, playing well for Sevilla prior to that.

Richard.H

Suarez was doing quite well in the first half of the season for them. More consistent, having decent control of the mid, and making at least 3-4 key passes per game. Yes, he has slowed down a bit during the second half of the season, no doubt.

Deu is just not impressing me. The reason I'm quite pessimistic about him is because he has a bad attitude and when you are that young, you just have to have the right attitude to make it to the top. I feel like his attitude is blocking him from going to the next level.

Also, I really don't see what qualities Deu has over someone like Sandro. Deu is bound to make at least 3 dumb decisions during a game, which is frustrating to watch.

He is still extremely butthurt that he was loaned, which is not a good sign. It probably distracts him from playing well too.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Suarez was doing quite well in the first half of the season for them. More consistent, having decent control of the mid, and making at least 3-4 key passes per game. Yes, he has slowed down a bit during the second half of the season, no doubt.

Deu is just not impressing me. The reason I'm quite pessimistic about him is because he has a bad attitude and when you are that young, you just have to have the right attitude to make it to the top. I feel like his attitude is blocking him from going to the next level.

Also, I really don't see what qualities Deu has over someone like Sandro. Deu is bound to make at least 3 dumb decisions during a game, which is frustrating to watch.

He is still extremely butthurt that he was loaned, which is not a good sign. It probably distracts him from playing well too.
The thing is that this "supposed bad attitude" problem doesn't even exist. He works hard and is doing what his coaches tell him to. Sure his decision making is still inconsistent, but not everybody is Messi at 20. Deulofeu has far more footballing ability than Sandro has ever had. The goals he's scored for us this season have been put on a platter by Messi. You think Deulo wouldn't score them? Shit man, of course he would! And the man has every right to be "butthurt" about being thrown out on loan gain. He was brought back, alongside Rafa, with such pomp, modeling the new kit, among other things. And then all of a sudden, he gets told he's going back out on loan. Of course he'd be upset. It's human. All he said is that next season he wants to stay at Barca. It's his dream, otherwise he'd have taken the more lucrative offers and gone to play for the many EPL teams that came for him years ago.

Richard.H

The thing is that this "supposed bad attitude" problem doesn't even exist. He works hard and is doing what his coaches tell him to. Sure his decision making is still inconsistent, but not everybody is Messi at 20. Deulofeu has far more footballing ability than Sandro has ever had. The goals he's scored for us this season have been put on a platter by Messi. You think Deulo wouldn't score them? Shit man, of course he would! And the man has every right to be "butthurt" about being thrown out on loan gain. He was brought back, alongside Rafa, with such pomp, modeling the new kit, among other things. And then all of a sudden, he gets told he's going back out on loan. Of course he'd be upset. It's human. All he said is that next season he wants to stay at Barca. It's his dream, otherwise he'd have taken the more lucrative offers and gone to play for the many EPL teams that came for him years ago.

He can't give stupid interviews and press reports saying he is treated badly or walk out when getting subbed and giving the stink eye to unai emery.

shit happens and he needs to realize that. He needs to realize that if he wants to achieve success with Barca he needs to keep his head down and work his ass off. Our forward line is quite crowded as it is and he needs to realize that also.

He seems to have improved since the first half of the season but time will tell how much he will truly flourish. Luckily age is on his side.

BBZ8800

People are underrating player's footballing intelligence which is connected with player's "normal" intelligence.

Barca is a club where you need to have everything. And the way we play, attack, defend, play off the ball, apply pressure, we need extremely technically gifted players who also have a high (footballing) IQ (even though that one is again connected with a normal IQ).

Ok, not all of our players need to be rocket scientists, but most of our current players are extremely (footballing) smart players.
1. Messi is very smart in decisions, movement, build up+technically a GOAT
2. Xavi is the smartest footballer ever+technically extremely gifted also
3. Busi is extremely smart+with a good technique
4. Iniesta is very, very smart+with a world class technique
5. Pique is smart, Neymar and Suarez all have enough of footballing intelligence
-- Ronaldinho was smart, Etoo was smart, Larsson was smart
-- Edmilson was smart, Marquez was smart, VanBronckhorst was smart, Van Bommel was smart

On the other hand, who weren't the smartest guys around?
1. Alexis
2. Guily
3. Oleguer
4. Belletti in some moments
5. Tello

Today:
1. Alba isn't the brightest guy in the world
2. Mascherano also isn't the rocket scientist

Anyway, you see, all of players who aren't "smart enough for Barca's level" later can't cope too well with our passing style, with our fast and smart play/movement/build up etc, and they are usually "weak spots" in our attacking/intelligent gameplan.

And yes, you can have 1-2-3 players in the team who aren't as smart as Xavi (like Alba or Masch, who have some other strengths), but if you have "dummies" on CF or CM positions, then you won't be Barca, but Liverpool and some average team.

I know that this post may sound extremely offensive, but think about our golden players (from any era), all of them were extremely "footballing smart" with a world-class technique.

Now, Deulo: (pros and cons)
+ he has a nice technique
- his work ethic and attitude may be questionable
- but he just isn't "smart" enough for Barca
(he may improve slightly, but that isn't exactly a skill where you can improve as much as in other areas)

Adama:
+ good technique and physique
- horrible footballing IQ and decisions

Munir, on the other hand:
+ has nice footballing IQ, and this is why I personally believe more in him than in Deulo, Adama or Halil
- the question is whether his technique and other parts of his game will be good enough for him to succeed at Barca
= but again, he has something which Deulo, Adama and other guys don't have, and which is extremely important for succeeding in Barca

Samper:
+ the same story, this guy HAS very good footballing IQ
+ he has a nice technique and tactical knowledge
= we have to see whether that will be good enough for him to make it here

Halilovic, on the other hand:
+ the same as Adama, awesome technique
- low footballing IQ and poor decisions
- weak physique
- problematic attitude in the past

People are constantly looking "mostly" at player's technique, dribbles, goals and similar things.
But when you look deeper, you won't find too many "dummy" players that made it here, and that stayed for too long.

(Once again, my apologies for writing this kind of a post, but I don't know how to explain this point in a better way)

Last edited:

Alarcón

I already said Gerard should be with us next season, simply because we only have 4 attackers at the moment and we can't sign anyone. But I don't think he will really live up to it simply because he hasn't improved upon his weaknesses. He is still essentially the same player from 2 years ago, with a bit more defensive contribution. Who knows though, maybe at Barça where he's not on loan, and under Lucho's tutelage, he might improve a lot.

And I agree with BBZ on Munir, know a lot of people don't believe in him but he doesn't have to score every game for us and the coach to know what he can do, he has shown the intelligence which players like Deulofeu and Adama lack. What we saw in his last few games for us didn't do his real potential any justice.

xavi_the_Boss

Because Deulofeu Chance too make it is so much bigger right....

anguy

Samper and Halilovic are not ahead of D.Suarez at all. They are still both Segunda players, completely unproven in top competitions. Xavi will go and Iniesta is not becoming younger too, so his only competition are Rakitic and Rafinha.

Zangash

Banned
Samper and Halilovic are not ahead of D.Suarez at all. They are still both Segunda players, completely unproven in top competitions. Xavi will go and Iniesta is not becoming younger too, so his only competition are Rakitic and Rafinha.

I'll agree on Halilovic, but Samper is 150% ahead of Suarez. Been at the club since the age of 6 and despite being "Completely unproven" in top competitions he is trusted enough to start in the champions league. If he somehow doesn't make it to the first team it will be a complete systematic failure for La Masia. Even now he's good enough to be on the first team, something that can't really be said for any other player on the B team or out on loan.

And considering Suarez won't be back until the transfer ban is over, a period of time in which the new board will undoubtedly splash the cash to fill in the gaps in midfield that he almost certainly won't fill, his chances look even smaller.

Home of Barca Fans