Gerard Piqué

serghei

Mascherano wasn't a better CB than Pique, if we compare both in their prime.

Puyol and VVD are closer in style to one another. But Pique was the better ball playing CB than both. So it's not like he didn't have quality. Also a pretty good defender. Not on VVD level, but certainly not a bum.

Nah, Van Dijk and Puyol would make easily the best possible pair out of the Barca and Liverpool teams.

The ball-playing role of Pique was a bit overstated. It's not like he made any playmaking with Xavi, Busi, and Iniesta there. He circulated the ball well and was usually focused on the isolated attacks of the defender. Even then his form collapsed in 2012 and was a total joke that season.

Last edited:

malvolio

Not really IMO. He did his part but wasn't a standout in that Pep team. That's the correct way to put it. He didn't downgrade the team, but Valdes and him were probably most replaceable players.

I'd say that Puyol was the replaceable one. Great fighter and leader, but pretty limited technically. Pique's mastery on the ball is hard to find in CBs. Even more so for a Pep team.

jamrock

Let's not turn the man into a water carrier that was a starter for arguably the best club team every & a national team that would 3 cups back to back.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

All this van dick and his 1 league title 1 CL is getting too much, the hype is going over the top.

Great defender, but pique at is best their isn't that much between the two.

All those all time great teams pique played on, was great because he was apart of them not inspite of him.

Vvd is top dude....there is a reason why Liverpool started to win big titles when he came, with him they were in 3 cl finals in 5 years. If Vvd would have been next to Puyol instead of Pique in Pep era Barca would have not won less titles, maybe more.

jamrock

I'd say that Puyol was the replaceable one. Great fighter and leader, but pretty limited technically. Pique's mastery on the ball is hard to find in CBs. Even more so for a Pep team.

This is kind of a fair point tbh, not to diss puyol, but we didn't miss him much after he was gone, pique was the more difficult one to replace.

serghei

Nah, Puyol and Mascherano were players with awesome defensive instincts about them. It's Ramos and Pique that was a bad pair for Spain and they never worked together.

Pique was pretty much like Matip for Liverpool, only better admittedly.

jamrock

Vvd is top dude....there is a reason why Liverpool started to win big titles when he came, with him they were in 3 cl finals in 5 years. If Vvd would have been next to Puyol instead of Pique in Pep era Barca would have not won less titles, maybe more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from VVD, but 1 league title 1 CL title, if we are giving players credit just for getting to the dance & not wining it we can change a lot of things about the history of football.

The differnce between pique at his best & VVD isn't anywhere. Near as great as some are making out, if at all.

Last edited:

serghei

I'm not trying to take anything away from VVD, but 1 league title 1 CL title, if we are giving players credit just for getting to the dance & not wining it we can change a lot of things about the history of football.

The difficult between pique at his best & VVD isn't anywhere. Near as great as some are making out, if at all.

Come on, if you put Van Dijk in that Barca team you elevate it a bit. Chances are Drogba doesn't do what he wants with our defense in 2012. We probably have a better chance vs Inter too.

He's basically a Pique but faster and with more leadership. Probably better long ball too.

I'm big on Pep Barca, but Van Dijk and an elite CB who is faster and more tenacious would probably be the best improvements you can make.

Last edited:

jamrock

Come on, if you put Van Dijk in that Barca team you elevate it a bit. Chances are Drogba doesn't do what he wants with our defense in 2012. We probably have a better chance vs Inter too.

Key word a bit, if we are arguing a bit I can agree with you for sure, but to say it's a huge improvement naah.

Swap the two we probably still win what we won, pique's strengths helped us win those titles as well, some of which VVD does not possess in the same way.

At our pique I don't think we lost many because of defense so VVD wouldn't help much, we just messed easy chances & a few bad calls.

serghei

Key word a bit, if we are arguing a bit I can agree with you for sure, but to say it's a huge improvement naah.

Swap the two we probably still win what we won, pique's strengths helped us win those titles as well, some of which VVD does not possess in the same way.

At our pique I don't think we lost many because of defense so VVD wouldn't help much, we just messed easy chances & a few bad calls.

Sure, not saying Pique was bad under Pep, in the first 3 years at least. He was still very good, just not nearly a key player. Overall, I'd consider him a tier 2 legend.

jamrock

People were literally calling pique, piquenbauer at his very best, here and in a lot of places.

The man was different class at his best.

Not Alves, Messi, xavi, iniesta all time great class obviously, but generationally not many better

serghei

People were literally calling pique, piquenbauer at his very best, here and in a lot of places.

The man was different class at his best.

Not Alves, Messi, xavi, iniesta all time great class obviously, but generationally not many better

When was that though, 10 years ago?

You also have to look at when players leave. Xavi for example, realized very early that his time was done, and left very soon. Puyol the same. Iniesta pretty early too. Pique stunk up the place for years and years collecting humiliating losses.

Home of Barca Fans