Gerard Piqué

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Interview I found in Don Balón with Piqué. The interviewer is pretty shit and blunt, but he gives some nice answers.

Have the newly arrived players, like you for example, had a postive influence on the atmosphere?
Everybody puts in their bit. It's good that everyone tries to get along and form a part of the team because it's impossible if someone doesn't want to. The new players have shown good motivation, and every new player has helped towards the optimistic atmosphere. And you see that on the pitch.

Everybody puts in their bit, but for Henry, you are a pain in the neck...
I owe him... You know why? "Titi" always arrives half-asleep and when I hit him to wake him up he gets mad. He tells me, "enough!"

There are few like you. You wouldn't waste any jokes on Guardiola, right?
If you need to prank then you must prank... But it's true that we have lots of respect for the coach. The jokes are more between the players. We leave the technical staff alone. For now.

Is Guardiola intimidating when you're right by him?
No, he's very human. He likes the relationship between people, he'll talk every day with you, tell you what he's thinking, and he gives advice... His methods are very direct and the players feel more involved.

Piqué tells us later that Pep took him apart that day to comment on the "superb" performance of Liverpool central defener Carragher at the Bernabéu.

And Eto'o, how is he in the dressing room, considering that you've only seen this year's version?

Well, he has a strong character, even though everyone already knows that. Nobody should forget that he can react in different ways. That's how he is and the squad accepts him that way.

So residing with him is good?
His character affects us positively. Many times the team reacts well to an unpleasant result thanks to him. We know how he is, some of us are more relaxed and have our own faults, but we're pleased with him.

Did it bother you when he said that Barcelona is like a job to him?
People forget that in the long run, a footballer is a worker. And Barcelona is a company. It's cold but that's how it is. It's another thing to have bled Barcelona for an entire life, being a culé since young and feeling that Barca is more than a club, like I feel. But you can't change the way that Samuel feels about being a part of Barca. As long as he's doing his job, we don't need to start any debates.

How did you react to the betrayal of Figo, based on this reasoning?
It was a painful episode. As a supporter I'll tell you that when you give so much to a player and then you see that he doesn't react nor return all the love that you've given, it's really hard. Then when you become a professional you begin to understand. Figo decided to go to the competition, which is Real Madrid.

Do you know who "Quini" (former Barcelona player 1980-1984) is?

Yes, of course.

Is it bad that Bojan didn't know this?
I'm surprised that he didn't know but I also don't know the level of Barcelonism of Bojan. But it's nothing to fuss about.

You were the last player to debut with the Spanish national team. How was the first contact with Vicente Del Bosque?
He seemed like a sensible person and is very noble. He left me with a good vibe. It was also a dream debut, defeating England 2-0, playing the 90 minutes. I didn't expect it, to be honest.

The Barcelona squad sung "Spanish Pique". Do the jokes carry on in the Spain team?
No. I guess that being new saved me but in those two days there the relationship was great and I connected well with everyone.

Do you speak Catalan within that dressing room?
Yes, of course. I'm used to doing it when I speak to Xavi or Puyol. If there's more players we speak in Castillian so everyone can understand.

Do you feel like a leader of anti-Espanyolism? The "pericos" are so far down the table...

I don't like that etiquette. There's rivalry but I simply defend the interests of my own team. If they get relegated to the Segunda it's their problem and they'll find their motives. But saying that I heatened thing up before the derby... It was all a little exaggerated it.

You're not an anti-Espanyolist?
No, and I want it to be clear. Someone that's "anti" is jealous and angry at something and to Espanyol I wish neither good nor bad. I don't care. I have friends at Espanyol, such as Sergio Sanchez and Torrejon. To them I wish the best personally, but as a club, I've never bothered about Espanyol.

I'm trying to find the second part but the article seems to have been deleted :icon_neutral:

By the way, another awesome performance last night. This dude has overtaken Dani as transfer of the season imo. What a king :004: :pique:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Do you feel like a leader of anti-Espanyolism? The "pericos" are so far down the table...
I don't like that etiquette. There's rivalry but I simply defend the interests of my own team. If they get relegated to the Segunda it's their problem and they'll find their motives. But saying that I heatened thing up before the derby... It was all a little exaggerated it.

You're not an anti-Espanyolist?
No, and I want it to be clear. Someone that's "anti" is jealous and angry at something and to Espanyol I wish neither good nor bad. I don't care. I have friends at Espanyol, such as Sergio Sanchez and Torrejon. To them I wish the best personally, but as a club, I've never bothered about Espanyol.

brilliant interview overall. the bits I quoted above are a personal favourite since I too dislike the "anti-xxxx" mindset. that pique has the same attitude shows he has a good, mature personality. bodes well for his future with us.

future captain? IMO yes.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
haha, imagine clown piqué being captain within 5 years. he would pull silly jokes on every newbie in the team an be virtually untouchable as captain. :D

Evil

Shabazz
Future Captain easily. I can see him as our starting defender for atleast the next 10 years. Very very promosing and an excellent defender, plus an excellent attitude and personality to top it off. I simply love this guy !

O

Otto

He went to Manchester but he has always had Barça in his heart. Do you think Fabregas feel the same? Do you find it possible that he signs for Real Madrid with Floren?

V

Valon

I see him and Raul Albiol as the two best young defenders in the world. Spain has really a bright future in terms of center defence. Hell currently Pique is one of the best defenders in the world along with Vidic, Rio, Chiellini and other ones I cba to mention :p

aRegularAce

I see him and Raul Albiol as the two best young defenders in the world. Spain has really a bright future in terms of center defence. Hell currently Pique is one of the best defenders in the world along with Vidic, Rio, Chiellini and other ones I cba to mention :p

So whats your opinion about signing Albiol? Looking at the current state of valencia they could be forced to sell him (for a reasonable price).

Warik

TBH I feel the same for Cesc as I used to feel for Pique. When Pique first came back I acknowledged WHY we had brought him back but I didn't like him as a person because he left us, but Pique has swiftly became one of my favourite players. I think its the same with Cesc if he comes back it'll be hard but i'll no doubt come to like him again. The difference between Pique and Cesc though is Pique was never a spitting and arrogant prick, but I think being around Pep, Xavi etc day to day would take the petulance out of him in the end.

As for him going to Real. I can't see it happening tbh. Real want it to happen but I think they'll end up with Xabi Alonso sooner than Cesc. Cesc's family have said if he moves to the Bernabeu they'll stop speaking to him because they are such die hard fans of us, though obviously they will speak to him as some things are more important than football. They'll speak to him even if they won't be happy about his choice.

I think he will end up with us eventually. I don't know when but I think it will happen. Cesc himself wants it to happen eventually, you can tell.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
TBH I feel the same for Cesc as I used to feel for Pique. When Pique first came back I acknowledged WHY we had brought him back but I didn't like him as a person because he left us, but Pique has swiftly became one of my favourite players. I think its the same with Cesc if he comes back it'll be hard but i'll no doubt come to like him again. The difference between Pique and Cesc though is Pique was never a spitting and arrogant prick, but I think being around Pep, Xavi etc day to day would take the petulance out of him in the end.

As for him going to Real. I can't see it happening tbh. Real want it to happen but I think they'll end up with Xabi Alonso sooner than Cesc. Cesc's family have said if he moves to the Bernabeu they'll stop speaking to him because they are such die hard fans of us, though obviously they will speak to him as some things are more important than football. They'll speak to him even if they won't be happy about his choice.

I think he will end up with us eventually. I don't know when but I think it will happen. Cesc himself wants it to happen eventually, you can tell.

correctamundo on all counts.

if he came, pep and puyol wouldn't allow him to be petulant. they are men of honour.

and yeah he'll never go to real. he's a cule ffs.

V

Valon

So whats your opinion about signing Albiol? Looking at the current state of valencia they could be forced to sell him (for a reasonable price).

I'm not against it but I'd like to see what's gonna happen to Martin and Hernandez first.

IraqiCulé

Forget him being a Cule, signing for Madrid just isn't what it used to be. Any player would love to play for Barca over RM.

Home of Barca Fans