Gerard Piqué

Ender

Agreed. He should rest and be closely monitored for concussion-like symptoms. Hopefully he'll return for the Euro strong as ever.

Povikas

Brandon
Pique, who clashed with Valdes, can't remember anything of the 18 minutes he played in yesterday's game against Chelsea.

adil_909

he just had a concussion, doesn't need to be out for the season. loss of memory is common after concussions. during my rotations, i've seen kids who have gotten concussions but then do not remember a lot of the preceding few minutes leading up to the event. there are not any universal recommendations for how concussions should be managed - the one universal agreement is that the first week after a concussion you should not be playing competitively. what we do here when we see kids who have had their first concussion is tell them that they can start playing again 1 week after all their symptoms have disappeared. this is in agreement with the recommendations of the american academy of neurology. i don't think pique will be out for the season at all, he shouldn't play this weekend, but i expect him to be fully fit for next weekends game and also for the CdR final.

BerkeleyBernie

he just had a concussion, doesn't need to be out for the season. loss of memory is common after concussions. during my rotations, i've seen kids who have gotten concussions but then do not remember a lot of the preceding few minutes leading up to the event. there are not any universal recommendations for how concussions should be managed - the one universal agreement is that the first week after a concussion you should not be playing competitively. what we do here when we see kids who have had their first concussion is tell them that they can start playing again 1 week after all their symptoms have disappeared. this is in agreement with the recommendations of the american academy of neurology. i don't think pique will be out for the season at all, he shouldn't play this weekend, but i expect him to be fully fit for next weekends game and also for the CdR final.

Yup. Caution of course, but hell, drink too much, you don't remember anything either. It's just the brain shutting down before it has time to transfer short-term memory into long-term. With the level of medical monitoring they do at the pro level, they'll know exactly when he's fully safe to play.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé

you clearly have no idea about the long term damage to the human brain and nervous system that a concussion can have on a human being. to make it worse, Pique will be using his head frequently during the match to clear inbound crosses and such. for the sake of him remembering his grandchildren's names, he must sit out the rest of the season.

EDIT: dude, you live in Pennsylvania ... what ... you didn't follow the Crosby-situation for the past 2 seasons? or all of those NFL/NHL players who killed themselves because of brain damage due to repeated hits to the head? c'mon now ...

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
No way he is going to play in a week, we cannot risk that AT ALL. This is a concussion and things like this shouldn't be overlooked! He has to be shut down.

BarcaOG

Banned
i agree with you guys he should rest. normally players love to exaggerate the seriousness of falls for let me tell you, when pique went down i for the first time watching soccer felt something might have actually gone wrong. fortunately i never saw say, cech's injury or muamba's fall but for this one i was truly worried. he looked out of it. he needs some rest now.

BerkeleyBernie

Get your facts straight folks. It was *feared* he had a concussion, but it was determined at the hospital he had no injury (other than being knocked out briefly). He is being rested a week as a precaution and then will be checked again.

I got clocked on a header in a game and was out for a few seconds. I sat out most of the rest of the game, a little nauseous for a few minutes, but went back in towards the end. I kept alert for any signs of a concussion the rest of the day (vision problems, etc.) but nothing else happened, not even a headache, just a sore jaw and neck muscles from the collision.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Get your facts straight folks. It was *feared* he had a concussion, but it was determined at the hospital he had no injury (other than being knocked out briefly). He is being rested a week as a precaution and then will be checked again.

I got clocked on a header in a game and was out for a few seconds. I sat out most of the rest of the game, a little nauseous for a few minutes, but went back in towards the end. I kept alert for any signs of a concussion the rest of the day (vision problems, etc.) but nothing else happened, not even a headache, just a sore jaw and neck muscles from the collision.

Err, maybe you should be the one to get your facts straight. Suffering significant short term memory loss, not to mention loss of consciousness is usually not a good sign, and it takes a day, if not days before tests are going to be conclusive.

Concussions are not predictable at all. It's very likely that hit to the head is nothing more than the equivalent of a night of heavy drinking, but you don't know that. You are especially vulnerable to any head injuries right after that. I know football isn't a concussion-heavy sport but when there's nothing to play for risking it is possibly the stupidest thing you can do. With the possibilities for a relapse, all it takes is one hit and Pique could be seriously fucked up.

It's probably nothing. But there is absolutely no reason to take a chance. I'm shocked Americans of all people wouldn't take this seriously when you consider everything that's been going on in the NFL and NHL lately.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Home of Barca Fans