Gerard Piqué

Meitux

Just a few months ago, in the first half of the season, he was being called Piquenbauer and praised all over the forum, with :pique: emoticons thrown around proudly, but now that his form has gone bad (and I admit it has), everyone acts as if he hadn't played a good game in 3 years. The level of exaggeration around here is astonishing.
its all about now,past is past.and now its the vital part of the season and hes shit...

R

rivaldo10

I think his money and fame got to his head and this nonsens with shakira cant be good for him. Ronaldinho was sold for similar reasons.

Demon17

Maestro
Pique should move to another club where the pressure isn't high so that he can spend his life with Shakira and not worry about his team so much. He's been playing shit now, he used to get away with shitty performances when legend Puyol and legend Abidal used to play on top form (Few years back)

D

Don_Andrés

rBP1VrU.jpg

Could well be my new avatar.

jamrock

Blah blah blah blah

Yes he has dipped in form but put anyone in a dysfunctional backline like ours has been over the past few years due to pep trying to fit in cesc with the 3-4-3, and titos crapness and they will struggle, replace him with any top defender and the would look bad, yes he has lost form but in a lot of these games he has not been as bad as people make out, they just expect him to do everything, since he is the only one in the back line they can look to.

How has he looked for Spain yes you can see a bit of a dip but he has been very good none the less, as I always said and what I have not in a long time, but needs to be said this season and not just related to him but a few players in the team (except cesc)

The individual star comes out to shine when the collective balance of the team is right.

Individually every signle member of the barca Xi is world class, have they looked it over the past two seasons, and especially this one?. No because their is no balance in the team

Get a solid defender beside him, and a proper fullback or the right or left and see what happens.

Andrew M

Blah blah blah blah

Yes he has dipped in form but put anyone in a dysfunctional backline like ours has been over the past few years due to pep trying to fit in cesc with the 3-4-3, and titos crapness and they will struggle, replace him with any top defender and the would look bad, yes he has lost form but in a lot of these games he has not been as bad as people make out, they just expect him to do everything, since he is the only one in the back line they can look to.

How has he looked for Spain yes you can see a bit of a dip but he has been very good none the less, as I always said and what I have not in a long time, but needs to be said this season and not just related to him but a few players in the team (except cesc)

The individual star comes out to shine when the collective balance of the team is right.

Individually every signle member of the barca Xi is world class, have they looked it over the past two seasons, and especially this one?. No because their is no balance in the team

Get a solid defender beside him, and a proper fullback or the right or left and see what happens.

Vicente Del Bosque is such a pragmatist. We should play like Spain when away from home in the Champions League.

Kerrybai

I agree with this, we need to go back to a playing with a wing back who will defend until he is needed in attack. Alba and Alves together are a nightmare for our centre backs.

Does anyone know why Pique never really made it at United? Did Fergie give up on him or were their other problems?

Edit:

Last edited:

Irish_Cules

I agree with this, we need to go back to a playing with a wing back who will defend until he is needed in attack. Alba and Alves together are a nightmare for our centre backs.

Does anyone know why Pique never really made it at United? Did Fergie give up on him or were their other problems?

Edit:

Johnny Evans came through at the same time and he was getting picked ahead of Pique. SAF did rate Pique though and wanted him to stay but when Barca came back for him offering first team football he knew he had to let him go.

USWAY

Jamrock telling it as it is per usual. If the club was about fixing problems and adapting instead of holding on to past accomplishments and hoping it works out, Alves would've been gone for 30mil this past summer and been declining for PSG or Anzhi, and Pique would have a new parter and we wouldn't be still dependent upon 35 year old Puyol and playing him until he breaks down.

Kerrybai

Johnny Evans came through at the same time and he was getting picked ahead of Pique. SAF did rate Pique though and wanted him to stay but when Barca came back for him offering first team football he knew he had to let him go.

Ah that makes a lot of sense, John O shea always speaks highly of Pique at United, I think he described him as a raving lunatic and as a player who believed in building a strong atmosphere in the dressing room.

I assume once Barca came knocking Pique forced the issue to leave too.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Blah blah blah blah

Good to see some of the old guard still knocking sense into people. :beer2:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The thing with Piqué is that he needs a fast, agile, and yet physical defender to play next to him. Essentially Piqué's a sweeper and he won't change his style just to fit the other pieces picked around him so as to create the makeshift defence we've had this season. I mean, look at how he has performed for Spain with Ramos next to him.

Another issue is exactly the fact that Piqué has played a lot with a makeshift defence, a defence he does not entirely trust thus forcing him to cover enormous amount of ground in order to be everywhere at the same time. He has played insane amount of minutes as the only starting CB with his partner ever changing so swiftly, impeding and slowing down him getting used to whoever plays next to him.

On another note, now that Bartrá has been chosen to play alongside him the whole situation has grown silly. Both Bartrá and Piqué are essentially of the same mould and having two sweepers starting in your line-up with two wing-backs flying down both flanks will hardly add any security. It leaves the whole back line utterly exposed for counter attacks and that's where we've been hit quite a bit this season.

I would honestly say that having someone like Ogbonna / Abdennour could potentially solve this in the long-run.

Cule4life

The Culest
Nothing to do with his partners. Once he's dragged out wide he loses the 1 on 1 almost every single time, even against the most average players. That first goal is a trademark "how to get past Pique" move. Take him on 1 on 1 in wide positions, accelerate towards the goalline and that's it - you're free to cross. Remember: even Bojan did the same to him. Pique's too slow on the turn and not aggressive enough to prevent that move.

This Pique is the real Pique. So don't expect him to be "back" anytime soon. Because the version of Pique where he looked like "Piquenbauer" when he had nothing to do all these years under Pep with the whole team pressing like maniacs was the false Pique.

This

Andrew M

Pique will probably pick up a yellow card and thus miss the final anyway, should we, by some miracle, get there.

Who fancies a Song-Masch cb partnership for the final?

Home of Barca Fans