Gerard Piqué

Meitux

Dude, the sarcasm could be spotted a hundred miles away...
You must be a very fun person to talk to.

And Piqué is obviously the best center back in the world. You're so blind.
You never know, he may even meant it. But it's just confusing at times, you don't know what to understand..

barcanuck

He was very solid against Valencia, didn't have his sleepy moments. Was tested quite a bit too but no problems with his coverage on the corner since he is one of 2 only tall guys and the other teams have 4-5 usually.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I like it how some of us want to believe that Pique will come back to his old self but I just don't think we're being realistic. As few guys already mentioned, it's not just about him losing focus. It's about not having few years younger and fit Puyol beside him. And almost equally important, having attacking Alba working on the left instead of defensively solid Abidal.
Good news is, the pressing is back. So let's see if Tata can make it work to cover up for obvious weaknesses.

Cule4life

The Culest
Pique was never any good to begin with. A prime Puyol made him look better than he is. He wouldn't start at any other top club not even Arsenal. Barca deserves a better defender.

Tomchin

Haven't read thru the thread yet, but how come he was present in the EPT poker tournament in Barcelona yesterday? Is he not called up for the NT?

jamrock

so what i am hearing is that, he isn't playing as well as a few years back, because he no longer has a defense that's made up of puyol, abidal and himself, damn!.

see in the real world a defender doesn't work in a group and thus will look better with a quality set of defenders around him, nope in the real world its everyman for them self and thiago silva, defends the entire space of the back four by himself

F

Flavia

Haven't read thru the thread yet, but how come he was present in the EPT poker tournament in Barcelona yesterday? Is he not called up for the NT?

No, he's suspended for the red card against Brazil on the confed final.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I can't believe we're stuck with this guy as an undisputed starter for another fucking season.

This is exactly what bothers me... I've come to terms with his abilities, I can deal with him starting games and him being Barca's poster boy, but why he has to be undisputed on all these accounts? He can't be considered a pillar of the team if he doesn't earn it with his effort...

Stric

This is exactly what bothers me... I've come to terms with his abilities, I can deal with him starting games and him being Barca's poster boy, but why he has to be undisputed on all these accounts? He can't be considered a pillar of the team if he doesn't earn it with his effort...

Because there's no one else.

lostchild

does anyone know (or can guess) why we now use Pique as the RCB along with Alves on the right side?
back in the good old times when it was Puyol+Pique, Puyol was always the RCB and Pique was always the LCB, im guessing because Puyol feels better on the right.
but that was for the good because everytime (if) Alves lost possesion somewhere on the attack or just lost his man, Puyol was there to back him up, as he reads the game amazingly.

and i just wondered today, maybe thats somewhat of a reason to why today we have so many holes in the defense
Pique needs to some how cover for Alves, but is too slow and is not that brilliant at reading the game 1000 steps ahead like Puyol.. and imo not even like Mascherano, theres nothing like those amazing slides/tackles of Masch when he comes from the back to stop a move 5 seconds before its even happening.

BibB

I had wondered this myself and I came to the conclusion that it was for maybe two reasons. The first being to make use of Piques long diagonal passing. The other being because Pique brings the ball out of defence often, it conveniently moved him closer to Xavi our main playmaker. As for defensive reasons, I'm not sure.

Home of Barca Fans