Gerard Piqué

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I know, but with Pique does he deserve benefit of the doubt given past actions? Anyway maybe it was just hot and he cut his long-sleeve shirt, he does like the long-sleeve's.

Benefit of doubt? It's not about benefit of doubt. It's about not resorting to garbage journalism or random rumors on social media, like 1001goals or whatever the fuck that site is called.

Too much shit goes on and controversies made out of absolutely nothing. It's why Pique just said he'll retire from the Spanish NT after Russia 2018, and I don't blame him as it must get very tiring when random butthurt, loser journalists stirs up shit like this.

Last edited:

El Flaco

[tw]785229339960963072[/tw]

Piqué: "I will retire from international football after 2018's World Cup"

Edit: Seems KiX7777 & DonAK was ahead of me with this news.

Hatem Ben Arfa

When did he ever disrespect Spain? Not to mention that he has constantly outperformed Ramos for the national team.

Really?

Piqueanthem-1024x576.jpg

El Flaco

I think it was a mockery towards Piqué when Silva got the armband after Ramos was subbed out during today's game between Spain & Albania.

Probably it's because no Catalan is allowed to become a captain for La Roja.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Benefit of doubt? It's not about benefit of doubt. It's about not resorting to garbage journalism or random rumors on social media, like 1001goals or whatever the fuck that site is called.

Too much shit goes on and controversies made out of absolutely nothing. It's why Pique just said he'll retire from the Spanish NT after Russia 2018, and I don't blame him as it must get very tiring when random butthurt, loser journalists stirs up shit like this.

why all the angst with the NT. He's completely blameless?

Hatem Ben Arfa

I think it was a mockery towards Piqué when Silva got the armband after Ramos was subbed out during today's game between Spain & Albania.

I don't think Pique would ever wear it even if he was asked.

Vilarrubi

It's done on caps, Pique has 85 caps to Silva's 107. Ramos has 140 too surprisingly but he's been playing since 2005 when he was RB, Pique's first start for Spain was 2009.

El Flaco

OFFICIAL | Press release on the controversy regarding Gerard Piqué's jersey

Regarding the controversy generated due to the footballer Gerard Piqué modifying his jersey, the RFEF wishes to clear the situation about the long-sleeve jersey used does not contain the country's colours

The Royal Spanish Football Federation wishes to show its support to the international footballer Gerard Piqué about the controversy regarding the cut made on his jersey in the match against Albania.

On the contrary to what some malicious comments where the Spanish player was accused of cutting the sleeves of the jersey to avoid wearing the band with the national colours. In this regard, the RFEF wishes to explain that said band on the Adidas jersey only exists in the short sleeve version, and not on the long sleeve, which is the one Piqué used in the match. The absence of the bands can be seen on the intact version of the jersey worn by teammate Sergio Ramos, who did use the long sleeve.

Gerard Piqué cut the sleeve with the sole aim of playing more comfortably, the same way other players have done on many occasions.

The unjustified criticisms towards Gerard Piqué have provoked the player to think of leaving the Spanish National Team after the Russia World Cup: "I have tried everything, but I can't bare this anymore, today's issue of the sleeves is the the straw that breaks the camel. They've managed to make me lose the excitement of coming here and although after Russia I'll only be 31, I'll leave."

El Flaco

Some quotes in few topics translated from the interview Pique had with the Catalan TV3

On how he and Shakira came to be a couple

"First time I met Shakira was in Madrid when we filmed the video for Waka Waka before the 2010 World Cup and I asked for her number"

"She arrived in South Africa before us (the Spanish national team) because she was singing at the opening ceremony. I sent her a text asking how the weather was because we were arriving in a few days.

"This is a typical stupid question that you write and normally get a response like, 'it's cold, bring a coat'.

"But the she writes a long paragraph, detailing the change in temperature throughout the day.

"I thought, 'Jesus, this is not normal'. It was in those details that I could tell there was affection.

"We started messaging each other throughout the tournament, but the only chance I would have of seeing her would be at the final because she was performing the closing ceremony.

"I told her that if I had to reach the final to see her I would do so. And that was the second time we met, after the World Cup Final."

On Barcelona after Lionel Messi

"Messi will leave the biggest mark on the history of football. When he's gone, we'll look back and see that he has been unique and an incredible difference maker...I haven't experienced it myself, but I imagine that the day he leaves it will be like when your father dies and you have to fly solo without him."

"There is no team in the history of sports that has always won. So, there will come a day when we will stop winning and that's when we will have to manage things until we start a new winning era. That's how big teams are built.

"It will be a blow when Messi leaves, but there will come a day when he retires or leaves and that day it will feel like we're left naked.

"There won't be another Messi, we shouldn't expect that. Just like there won't be another generation of players (from the youth system) like (Carles) Puyol, Xavi, Andres (Iniesta), Victor (Valdes), Pedro, Busi (Sergio Busquets) and myself.

"We shouldn't expect that, although it might happen one day of course and I hope it does."

On his former team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo

"Our relationship is good. At Manchester United, he was one of the three or four players who I got on best with.

"Cristiano is natural-born competitor - a machine. His mind, every inch of his body is made to try and be a better player every day, there's no one who is quite as ambitious as him. He's one of the best players in the history of football.

Pique's answer after being asked on if Cristiano was ambitious to the point of illness; "All of the great stars reach that level of ambition, I don't know whether it's an illness or not. But those people are right at the limit"

On the rivalry with Real Madrid

"I admit that I often like to cause controlled tension (between the two sets of fans). Never obviously out of control, because this is just sport. Without the Barcelona-Real Madrid rivalry, football wouldn't be the same. You must have this rivalry."

"I've slowed down with it (creating tension) though. Because it distracts from any good performances I or the team has."

"The rivalry was much worse when Jose Mourinho was at Real Madrid. Poking someone in the eye is not sport, it's violence. This is too much, this is just being a bad person."

On his relationship with Madrid players in the Spain squad

"It was a complicated time (when Mourinho was at Madrid) but now it is much better."

"Now before every game we all meet in the captain's room and we talk about everything - in football and life.

"For example, my relationship with Sergio Ramos is very good."

On what he misses about Manchester United

"I'm a big fan of British humour. It was what I loved about Manchester. They don't get offended when you play tricks on them. They try to get you back, but they don't complain."

"Here at Barca, my humour hasn't always been appreciated by everyone. I deflate teammates tires and other things, but this is nothing compared to what happened at United.

"One day Patrice Evra came in with shoes that he'd been asking Nike for months to make. They had the name of his children on them and all these crazy details.

"He went into the shower and we created a small bonfire and burned them. We recorded it and then sent him the video.

"In the first few years here (at Barca) I tried similar things but it didn't work. It's not the same culture.

"At United they would take an expensive shirt that you have bought and put it on the free-kick mannequins. The shirt would be ruined because of all the mud it would get on it every time the ball hit it.

"It was a dressing room full of life."

On Louis van Gaal pushing him over as a 12-year-old

"Van Gaal was at my grandfather's (who was a former Vice-President at Barcelona) house. I was playing as a defender in Barcelona's youth system. I was 12-years-old and thinking that maybe one day I would climb to the first team and he would still be the coach."

"I came in and he pushed me on the ground. He said I was not strong enough to be a defender at Barcelona. And that was it. The dreams of a 12-year-old were pushed to the ground.

"But the message was clear; work more."

On his jovial personality

"I'm always smiling. I read the other day people who smile more, grow more. That's why I'm 1.90m!"

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...ting-controversy-and-why-he-misses-man-united

Home of Barca Fans