Gerard Piqué

Kubala

I don't understand all the hate shown to Pique these days. Club legend in my opinion and still probably the best defender we have. The only player that defends corners and free kicks for us and a leader. Even now, if he played in a team that didn't leave the defence so exposed so high up the pitch, he would be a top CB.

malvolio

I don't understand all the hate shown to Pique these days. Club legend in my opinion and still probably the best defender we have. The only player that defends corners and free kicks for us and a leader. Even now, if he played in a team that didn't leave the defence so exposed so high up the pitch, he would be a top CB.

nah brah, we had prime nesta on the bench. but power hungry, narcissistic, ego maniac pique wanted the spotlight for himself. that's the logic around here.

BarcaOG

Banned
nah, i dont buy that, when people were calling him piquenbauer he was actually a really solid CB. its no fluke that he was part of that spain team that dominated the WC and Euros.

but that version of pique is long long gone.

what really bugs me is how he seems to think hes still world class and loves being a celebrity. annoying AF

behindbrowneyes

Typical barcaforum exaggerating after a big loss.
Pique was the one screaming, organising, leading the distribution with a 100% passing accuracy and four accurate long balls, and all of that fresh from an incredibly serious injury. He couldn’t turn the tides in the end but it wasn’t for the lack of trying. I was against fielding him right after his injury, but in the end he was the best defender in that backline.

Shortterm Araujo-Pique will be the best we can field in the big games. Pique on his worst day is still better than anything Lenglet has shown this season. We don't need to talk about Umtiti and his finished knee. At this point I'd even start Mingueza over Lenglet. At least he gives a fuck. Lenglet? He doesn't come across like it.

Araujo can still learn a thing or two from Pique. I'd also say that these two willl complement each other quite good.

JamDav1982

Typical barcaforum exaggerating after a big loss.
Pique was the one screaming, organising, leading the distribution with a 100% passing accuracy and four accurate long balls, and all of that fresh from an incredibly serious injury. He couldn?t turn the tides in the end but it wasn?t for the lack of trying. I was against fielding him right after his injury, but in the end he was the best defender in that backline.

Shortterm Araujo-Pique will be the best we can field in the big games. Pique on his worst day is still better than anything Lenglet has shown this season. We don't need to talk about Umtiti and his finished knee. At this point I'd even start Mingueza over Lenglet. At least he gives a fuck. Lenglet? He doesn't come across like it.

Araujo can still learn a thing or two from Pique. I'd also say that these two willl complement each other quite good.

'Pass accuracy' when PSG sat off him and Lenglet and tried to pressure when got into their half. Lenglet had 98% accuracy and also had four long balls....

Dont think he made a single tackle all game and did zero to organise anything on the pitch despite his screaming.

Last edited:

Rassvet

nah, i dont buy that, when people were calling him piquenbauer he was actually a really solid CB. its no fluke that he was part of that spain team that dominated the WC and Euros.

but that version of pique is long long gone.

what really bugs me is how he seems to think hes still world class and loves being a celebrity. annoying AF

There wasnt much defending to do in those teams though.

Richard.H

It's very tricky to determine if this is true. Let's compare Sergio Ramos to him. Ramos is a true leader and everyone in that RM team is scared to talk back to him. He commands respect. in the big moments he has been absolutely clutch for them, whether it's a defensive effort or offensive effort.

I can't really say the same for Pique. Can be a solid defender but not once do you feel like he's the true leader of the team. If anything it was Puyol or Mascherano keeping him in check during his peak years. it's like he's the less disciplined Varane and Ramos is more like the Puyol or Mascherano.

He was never meant to be the CB to lead that backline. He should have always been partnered with someone more senior/more disciplined that he can follow. I believe Umtiti without injuries could've been that type of CB to partner Pique with.

Home of Barca Fans