Gerard Piqué

It's very tricky to determine if this is true. Let's compare Sergio Ramos to him. Ramos is a true leader and everyone in that RM team is scared to talk back to him. He commands respect. in the big moments he has been absolutely clutch for them, whether it's a defensive effort or offensive effort.

I can't really say the same for Pique. Can be a solid defender but not once do you feel like he's the true leader of the team. If anything it was Puyol or Mascherano keeping him in check during his peak years. it's like he's the less disciplined Varane and Ramos is more like the Puyol or Mascherano.

+1 so true!

Maybe he is a "legend" because he played so many games for FCB, but he wasn't, he isn't and he'll never be a leader for defencive line or this club!!! Last leader, beast and player with respect was Puyol.
Nowdays you have diving actors and mercenaries and instead to change that, they are eaven worse!!!
Pique said, that Barcelona needs change - a five-year-old can see that too!!! Yes, FCB needs change, but in my opinion he needs to leave! Pique, Busi and all "legends" that screwed things up with "I dont give a fu*k" behavior and THEY ARE OLD!

pique-yellow-and-injury-640x400.jpg

malvolio

so we had the following on this forum:
1. messi wasn't that good, he was made to look good by xavi and iniesta
2. busquets was not all that even in his prime. he lived off xavi and iniesta. we would have been better off with yaya toure
3. pique wasn't all that. puyol made him who he is and there wasn't any defending in the teams he played anyway.

these are opinions of people that say they support this club.

if xavi or iniesta were still here, they would have got the same treatment.

Raki13

2. busquets was not all that even in his prime. he lived off xavi and iniesta. we would have been better off with yaya toure
3. pique wasn't all that. puyol made him who he is and there wasn't any defending in the teams he played anyway.

First two are just garbage , Pique has never been anywhere near as good as Puyol was.

Richard.H

Players compliment eachother and a lot of players look very good in other teams primarily because they play in a good, cohesive system. A lot of the players that this forum wants like Haaland and Mbappe would still look like shit in this current Barca. The other top teams do not also have years of bad squad planning haunting them. Busi was the best DM for the team when Xavi and Iniesta were here. Pique was the best CB at the time to have alongside Puyol and Mascherano. Also I hate to say it, but yes Xavi and Iniesta were important to Messi just as much as Messi was important to them. Put Messi in PSG or City and they are at least in the CL finals, easily. Also I never said Pique was shit, just that he was never meant to be the leader of this club like Puyol. Pep saw that, Lucho saw that.

I am not sure why you are trying to sound so superior in every thread. We currently don't have a functioning team. On our best day, we could only hope for a 1 or 2 goal loss vs PSG.

malvolio

Busi was the best DM for the team when Xavi and Iniesta were here.

so he was shite otherwise? won with spain also, but maybe there xabi alonso was carrying him.

Pique was the best CB at the time to have alongside Puyol and Mascherano.

so he was shite otherwise? won with spain also, luckily he had ramos there.

Also I hate to say it, but yes Xavi and Iniesta were important to Messi just as much as Messi was important to them.

that is one thing. saying he wasn't all that and that xaviesta carried him is another.

I am not sure why you are trying to sound so superior in every thread.

just expressing opinions. not my fault they're not usually on same page with some other forummers.

Richard.H

so he was shite otherwise? won with spain also, but maybe there xabi alonso was carrying him.

Yes busi would look bad if you put him in a physical EPL side. He would look terrible playing at United or Chelsea. Busi is a system DM. always has been. Many people like Yaya Toure in this forum because he is a better natural DM. He could fit into more systems than Busi. At current Barca, Lucho Barca, and Valverde barca, it would have been much better to have a dm like Yaya than him. Between 2008-13, Spain's system was very similar to Barca's so yes Busi looked very good there.

Pique would look good next to a captain/leader CB like VVD or Sergio Ramos (see Spain). Xavi and Iniesta are legends and I am sure would make it work in other teams. Messi is Messi.

The combination of all of these players playing together however benefitted all of them. No one can deny that.

malvolio

Yes busi would look bad if you put him in a physical EPL side. He would look terrible playing at United or Chelsea. Busi is a system DM. always has been. Many people like Yaya Toure in this forum because he is a better natural DM. He could fit into more systems than Busi. At current Barca, Lucho Barca, and Valverde barca, it would have been much better to have a dm like Yaya than him. Between 2008-13, Spain's system was very similar to Barca's so yes Busi looked very good there.

Pique would look good next to a captain/leader CB like VVD or Sergio Ramos (see Spain). Xavi and Iniesta are legends and I am sure would make it work in other teams. Messi is Messi.

The combination of all of these players playing together however benefitted all of them. No one can deny that.

we are talking about prime busquets and prime pique.

busquets looked very good in multiple matches in his prime. against all sorts of teams, at all levels. the EPL scenario you're trying to imagine is like the 'messi wouldn't do it on rainy night in stoke' bullshit.

and if that bum rodri is undoubted starter for the team that dominates the league, i would wager prime busquets would have done alright even in the physical EPL.

pique had many good and very good matches for us. his individual performance can't be attributed to all the players he partnered with. otherwise we can use the same logic here - masche, puyol or ramos look good when they have a pique type of defender at their side.

yes, the stars have aligned for this club to hit the jackpot with messi, la masia golden generation and pep, all at the same time. doesn't mean those were lesser players individually.

Richard.H

we are talking about prime busquets and prime pique.

busquets looked very good in multiple matches in his prime. against all sorts of teams, at all levels. the EPL scenario you're trying to imagine is like the 'messi wouldn't do it on rainy night in stoke' bullshit.

and if that bum rodri is undoubted starter for the team that dominates the league, i would wager prime busquets would have done alright even in the physical EPL.

pique had many good and very good matches for us. his individual performance can't be attributed to all the players he partnered with. otherwise we can use the same logic here - masche, puyol or ramos look good when they have a pique type of defender at their side.

yes, the stars have aligned for this club to hit the jackpot with messi, la masia golden generation and pep, all at the same time. doesn't mean those were lesser players individually.

We can agree to disagree, because no way I believe prime Busi would still play well in other less possession based systems.

BarcaOG

Banned
yeah youre wrong about that, prime busi ate the German team alive in 2010, bossed united in 2011 etc etc

he was the standard bearer and definition of what a proper DM was supposed to be

stop tarnishing players's prime years just because they became useless later. such bs lol.

malvolio

We can agree to disagree, because no way I believe prime Busi would still play well in other less possession based systems.

his awareness, speed of thought and passing range/ability were up there with the very best. i would say only xavi had a comparable awareness of space around him.

also he wasn't that slow back then. and you're telling me he wouldn't do well in other teams :lol:

stop tarnishing players prime years just because they became useless later. such bs lol.

exactly! it's like most people in here forgot how they cheered our trebles and now they don't even want to acknowledge what those players achieved individually. it's like they want to distance themselves from these plagued players.

tough luck, they got old. you can have a go at them for what they are doing, but at least acknowledge what they have done.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
you guys are a bunch of idiots. prime busi and pique are multiple CL, WC, Liga and Euros winners

at their peak they were beasts

BarcaOG

Banned
his awareness, speed of thought and passing range/ability were up there with the very best. i would say only xavi had a comparable awareness of space around him.

also he wasn't that slow back then. and you're telling me he wouldn't do well in other teams :lol:

exactly! it's like most people in here forgot how they cheered our trebles and now they don't even want to acknowledge what those players achieved individually. it's like they want to distance themselves from these plagued players.

tough luck, they got old. you can have a go at them for what they are doing, but at least acknowledge what they have done.

absolutely mater :cheers:

Home of Barca Fans