Gerardo "Tata" Martino

big_man

I definitely agree that the last thing we need is the same predictability we had before. It's just that we should be more cohesive and unified in how we implement those tactics. If we need to control a game, do so with energy and a fluid team shape, not the slow and disorganized thing we've seen. If we want to play quicker, have an organized defense and keep our dynamic attackers in position to carry the ball forward or to make a deadly run rather than scattering long balls everywhere before we can actually find a quick route forward.

Tata has the ideas for change that we need. He just hasn't implemented it in a way that has the team click in all gears and where WE make the decision on how the game goes. The system implemented should be meticulous down to every last detail just like tiki taka was, only this being much more flexible and varied. Sometimes our team loses shape when in possession, meaning we rely on individual qualities rather than the connections between our players. Rid that flaw, get our players to work as a unit and move as a mass and as the game goes on we can change style to either own the ball or find their weak spots in counters. The team has to do it all together though, otherwise both methods are ineffective and we don't play as well as we can.

That's fair, my argument was that we should not be judging him on our attacking play when two of our best players had not started a game together since November and only got a consistent run of games in September, a period where we won all six of our games, scored 20 and conceded 5. And but for stupid lapses in concentration 2 or 3 of those 5 goals shouldn't even have happened.

The dimension Iniesta and Messi adds to our team when on song is so substantial that its pretty crazy that we're pulling the knives out on Tata. One of these guys is in the top 3 players of all time, the other is easily the third best player in the world when on song.

Last edited:

rixxer

He's somehow turning us into a counter attacking team despite not being equipped to be effective enough to win against elite competition playing that way

Well. Tata wins tactical battle against Ancelotti, using CA and outsmarting him. But, but... it's not merit of Tata, it was Ancelotti who just cannot get his tactics right.
Against Atletico (La Liga not the super copa that for me is always a pre-season game) Tata gets his tactics right- we are missing some key players and also key players are a bit out of form because of injuries we are playing away against a team in great form and in lot of confidence and get the result. But, but, we were worse team... and we cannot play CA game... it was just luck etc.
Against Milan at home, we control the game and take an normal CL home win without suffering much. But, but... Milan is just bad.
Against Sevilla, after a midweek game in semi-final (!) of Sociedad in horrible conditions Barca actually gets its tactic right under the circumstances (you really cannot have tiki-taka posession based game in those conditions), but, but, it was just Don and Messi magic etctec, no plan again.

I am not saying that Tata is a god given gift and the best coach that Barca can have, but that kind of "excuses" (it is Messi, it is because opponent was weak, it was because this and that, but never tata) are way too much doimnating in this thread.

And. For god's sake, he has been the coach for half a season. He has done well, not great, but well. There is an idea and there is a plan for changing things a bit that we really need. You cannot expect perfectness just yet.

pawanme10

Well. Tata wins tactical battle against Ancelotti, using CA and outsmarting him. But, but... it's not merit of Tata, it was Ancelotti who just cannot get his tactics right.
Against Atletico (La Liga not the super copa that for me is always a pre-season game) Tata gets his tactics right- we are missing some key players and also key players are a bit out of form because of injuries we are playing away against a team in great form and in lot of confidence and get the result. But, but, we were worse team... and we cannot play CA game... it was just luck etc.
Against Milan at home, we control the game and take an normal CL home win without suffering much. But, but... Milan is just bad.
Against Sevilla, after a midweek game in semi-final (!) of Sociedad in horrible conditions Barca actually gets its tactic right under the circumstances (you really cannot have tiki-taka posession based game in those conditions), but, but, it was just Don and Messi magic etctec, no plan again.

I am not saying that Tata is a god given gift and the best coach that Barca can have, but that kind of "excuses" (it is Messi, it is because opponent was weak, it was because this and that, but never tata) are way too much doimnating in this thread.

And. For god's sake, he has been the coach for half a season. He has done well, not great, but well. There is an idea and there is a plan for changing things a bit that we really need. You cannot expect perfectness just yet.
+1000
Could not have put it better. Well said.

zanela

In terms of enterprising and inspiring argie managers go, I'd take Pékerman, Bielsa, and Pochettino (albeit still learning his trade), over Tata. I never particularly enjoyed watching his para team, and the CA final was for me, one to forget. I'm all for tactical variations but not at the expense of the harmony of team play. I can name about half a dozen teams in Europe atm that move the ball with better fluency than this Barca. And some amongst them even have lesser personnel. So, I'm not convinced with injury, and the settling period excuses. And if its a case of lack of motivation or poor implementation of the coaching ideas, the onus is on the manager. Tata's appointment appears to be more a case of availability, and frugality rather one that fits the Barca profile. I doubt his mentor El Loco is finding this Barca side very interesting either.

Kerrybai

I still enjoy the way we play football. It's not vintage tiki taka and it's a far cry from the heights of Pep's reign but it's certainly not boring.

Last edited:

ammarfcb

ze special one
waiting 4 seconds for a long ball to drop and using that time to predict how badly alexis will control it is incredibly interesting.

ammarfcb

ze special one
that was actually a good attacking performance, hope tata (or mressi,or whoever set it up, or messi) isn't put off by the score

Home of Barca Fans