Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Pepe Silvia

He's dusted off the cobwebs of the old team and reinvigorated the squad, kept us top of the table, and gave us that hunger and motivation back. We are starting to peak at the right time of the season, something not even Tito knew how to do, and he has inspired players to fight for the team. What more do some of you want?

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
He's dusted off the cobwebs of the old team and reinvigorated the squad, kept us top of the table, and gave us that hunger and motivation back. We are starting to peak at the right time of the season, something not even Tito knew how to do, and he has inspired players to fight for the team. What more do some of you want?
Bartra. That's what I want. I'm tired of Mascherano's silly mistakes losing us games, most of the time important games. He just isn't a CB. He lacks height and positioning and his tackles are too much of a gamble. He is just overall bad.

F

Flavia

Bartra. That's what I want. I'm tired of Mascherano's silly mistakes losing us games, most of the time important games. He just isn't a CB. He lacks height and positioning and his tackles are too much of a gamble. He is just overall bad.

So because he doesn't play the player you want, he's an amateur? Masch as cb is something inherited from Pep. I'd like for Bartra to play too, btw.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
So because he doesn't play the player you want, he's an amateur? Masch as cb is something inherited from Pep. I'd like for Bartra to play too, btw.

He continues to play Mascherano when there's someone better available. Bartra has deserved that spot and fought hard for it, but Tata gives him no trust. Yesterday he wasn't even on the bench. If that isn't amateurish by Tata, then I don't know what is.

F

Flavia

He continues to play Mascherano when there's someone better available. Bartra has deserved that spot and fought for it, but Tata gives him no trust. Yesterday he wasn't even on the bench. If that isn't amateurish by Tata, then I don't know what is.

He rates Masch higher. And he must have his reasons for it. He's the one who watches them in training. And Bartra has played more under Tata than with tito.
Your argument for him being amateur is not very strong. It's not like Masch is the worst player in the world. He has been both good and bad this season, but he has his qualities.

JamDav1982

There's no reasons that I can see.

I think he plays Masch as he and Puyol are the only two leaders at the back while neither Bartra or Pique are organisers and against good attacks those two look a bit all over the place.

Masch is also the best at reading the game defensively and covering for the other defenders when they have been caught out of position.

Masch is also the best CB in passing the ball in terms of spraying long balls to wingers or getting the ball quickly to the feet of the midfielders elements that Tata seems to be trying to introduce.

That for me is the reasons Tata prefers Masch in defence ahead of a Pique/Barta partnership.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
There's no reasons that I can see.

There are two simple reasons, whether you agree with them or not.

One, Pique and Bartra are similar players. To play both together is to have two similar CBs that don't have skills that complement each other. Mascherano skill set is similar to Puyol's, hence why it better complements Pique's.

Two, Mascherano is far more experienced than Bartra. Even though Mascherano is not a CB and is not an ideal fit there, he offers the experience that Bartra lacks.

I don't like Mascherano at CB, but I certainly see and understand why Tata plays him.

coura

Banned
Several players said in interviews that Pep was obsessed with details about the opponent team. Mourinho is the same. Does anyone has a hint about Martino´s view? Is there anyone in his staff with this kind of mission?

In Mou´s staff there is 1 person only to watch future opponents. Until 2009 his "observer" was former Chelsea and Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Here´s one of his reports from 2005 Newcastle. I hope that Martino does the same. This kind of study is crucial. I remember that in big matches in FC Porto´s Mourinho ea each player had a dvd about his opponent. Example: Center back vs Forwards, and so on.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01927/art18-1_1927022a.pdf

Home of Barca Fans