Gerardo "Tata" Martino

F

Flavia

You think that will qualify him as a better choice than Tata? What about his time at Roma then?

Rijkaard tasted relegation before he was appointed. Not every manager has an infallible track record, neither should it be taken as a reflection of their true coaching abilities. Some thrive better under different(more familiar) environment and resources. This squad needs young blood, and Lucho has shown he's able to bring them up. Add, his Barca-affiliation as a player would be well embraced by the seniors. However, I don't think he'll assume the role unless he's guaranteed complete discretion in footballing matters.

The management seems keen on Valverde, having already approached him in the summer. If Martino steps down, I see them try again and bring him to the Camp Nou.

zanela was faster :)
Lucho tried to do at roma what he did with barça b, and is doing with celta now. It didn't work, because serie a is not la liga, I suppose. Tata's qualification is not that superior, anyway.

tello

Now is not the time for Klopp. The squad is wearly and AILING. Klopps style would have us blazing guns till December and then we'd crash and burn come the end of the season. His style is waaay to intense for our players. It is also more direct.

Pep's Barca was also very intense though not that direct but still, with the proper transfers I think Klopp is the motivator, the tactcian, the mananger and the visonary that Barca needs after Guardiola's departure...

barcanuck

We have to give Tata some respect here, he hasn't been allowed to bring any player in the squad that he can call his "own signing". He came in on an emergency basis after Tito announced he can't continue.

A coach always wants to make a few changes that he sees fit and Tata will get this next off season to make this team his own. This team is Tito and Rosell's vision still.

In : Neymar
Out : Thiago, Villa, Abidal.

Check out the other new coaches in big clubs and how their new coaches loaded up:

P$G : Cavani, Marquinos, Cabaye

Man $hitty : Negredo, Navas, Jovetic, Fernandiho, Demechellis

Chel$ki : Shurrle, Eto'o, Willian, Matic

Man United : Fellani, Mata

Bayern : Gotze, Thiago

Real : Isco, Bale, Illaremendi, Carvajal

As you can see Tata only had 1 major piece added while losing 3 major pieces. Didn't bother looking at the players the other clubs lost but it's clear we thinned out by 2 players.

Clearly every other club added at least 2 pieces, some even more for their new coach.

I really hope Tata can see our weaknesses and requests a defender, mid and forward. Ter Stegen to replace Valdes is clear.

F

Flavia

We have to give Tata some respect here, he hasn't been allowed to bring any player in the squad that he can call his "own signing". He came in on an emergency basis after Tito announced he can't continue.

A coach always wants to make a few changes that he sees fit and Tata will get this next off season to make this team his own. This team is Tito and Rosell's vision still.

Check out the other new coaches in big clubs and how their new coaches loaded up:

As you can see Tata only had 1 major piece added while losing 3 major pieces. Didn't bother looking at the players the other clubs lost but it's clear we thinned out by 2 players.

Clearly every other club added at least 2 pieces, some even more for their new coach.

I really hope Tata can see our weaknesses and requests a defender, mid and forward. Ter Stegen to replace Valdes is clear.

Tata blocked a cb from coming, as he decided to count on Puyol recovering. Granted that cb was probably david luiz... But there were the vergini/balanta rumors.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Tata blocked a cb from coming, as he decided to count on Puyol recovering. Granted that cb was probably david luiz... But there were the vergini/balanta rumors.

We don't know anything about that for sure. All solid rumors about Barca getting a CB was surrounding about accomplishing an impossible mission getting the likes of Thiago Silva or overpaying for someone like David Luiz which was not going to happen after all.

tello

Man if you put those $$$ there why didn't you correctly spell R€al Madrid which is the richest club ever also with the most stupid transfer policy I've ever seen ? :)

So please show some r€spect to R€al Madrid here...:neymar:

The Observer

We don't know anything about that for sure. All solid rumors about Barca getting a CB was surrounding about accomplishing an impossible mission getting the likes of Thiago Silva or overpaying for someone like David Luiz which was not going to happen after all.

Yep. Don't understand why people take those rumours as facts. MD had on its frontpage that Bartomeu offered Tata a contract extension a few weeks ago. 2 days later Tata denied in a presser that there were any talks about his future.

If he truly blocked Luiz, Vergini and Balanta - good on him. None of them are Barca quality. Although he probably didn't. Vergini and Balanta were rumoured because of Tata being Argentinian in the first place. So either Tata brought them up and the club rejected the idea or the media just made up rumours. Vergini is his former player. Either Tata wanted him or Tata didn't bring him up at all. Anything else doesn't make sense.

barcanuck

Man if you put those $$$ there why didn't you correctly spell R€al Madrid which is the richest club ever also with the most stupid transfer policy I've ever seen ? :)

So please show some r€spect to R€al Madrid here...:neymar:

Don't have the EURO symbol on my keyboard ;)

PhilS

One way Tata could wind up being a short-term coach would be to radically change the team's style of play, with bad results. Like switching to a double pivot. Starting both Song and Busquets in midfield for a challenging away game was a very unusual thing for a Barca couch to do, with Xavi, Cesc and Sergi all available. A fundamental component of the Barca style of play is playing at least two creative, attacking midfielders. Possibly excepting some late game, lead-preserving finishes, going defensive then is not anti-Barca.

One lineup error will not cost Tata his job, he just needs to learn from this serious mistake. Start Song only when Busquets is worn out, or never, please.

I still think Barca will win 1.5 more trophies this year, and Tata will be a fine Barca manager for at least several years.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
No manager can work with this 'dont give a fuck' squad.

Very good point... Even if he messed up last game, the blame is falling only on him, disregarding that many of our players have been slacking since last season...

Add to that the catalan press never liked him anyway, so the campaign against him has only intensified...

F

Flavia

Tata blocking signings wasn't a rumor. He said during a press conference.

"¿Si estoy esperando un central? En realidad estoy esperando la llegada de Puyol. Gracias a Dios, su recuperación va muy bien, está trabajando en el campo con mucha intensidad y esperamos que empieza a entrenarse con el grupo en septiembre, después de la próxima fecha FIFA", explicó Tata en la víspera del debut liguero ante el Levante (el domingo). El técnico argentino recordó que "los problemas que hubo el año pasado con los centrales fueron todos de lesiones" y que, con Puyol recuperado, Piqué y Mascherano, "además de Bartra, Adriano y Busquets como alternativas", esa posición queda perfectamente cubierta.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'm still not sure why Tata is under pressure. Just sounds like the ones who want him are out both deluded and spoiled. Spoiled in the sense that you're never satisfied and deluded in the sense that so many players on here are massively overrated.

Three points behind Real Madrid. Cup final, probably at least a quarter final in the CL. And still some are not happy...

Ancelotti has a history of bottling it against shit teams. If anything, he's the kind of manager that gets great results against good teams but drops points against relegation teams. He's been lucky on many occasion and his squad still has the hunger. As you would expect them to have after the circus that has been going on and all the underachieving.

His work at Real Madrid has impressed me though but I still remember how shit they were during the beginning. And how they often got saved by some individual brilliance by Ronaldo and at one time, a very dodgy penalty call. And still, they're only three points ahead...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
One way Tata could wind up being a short-term coach would be to radically change the team's style of play, with bad results. Like switching to a double pivot. Starting both Song and Busquets in midfield for a challenging away game was a very unusual thing for a Barca couch to do, with Xavi, Cesc and Sergi all available. A fundamental component of the Barca style of play is playing at least two creative, attacking midfielders. Possibly excepting some late game, lead-preserving finishes, going defensive then is not anti-Barca.

One lineup error will not cost Tata his job, he just needs to learn from this serious mistake. Start Song only when Busquets is worn out, or never, please.

I still think Barca will win 1.5 more trophies this year, and Tata will be a fine Barca manager for at least several years.

It was a miscalculation in retrospective to play Busi and Song. But honestly, before the game I thought it would work. We've talked about who could play like Xavi, who could copy his style best - and most people said Busi. But it was not only down to playing Busi + Song, for some reason the whole team decided to suck.
Tata can only do so much. Of course he can motivate the players better, but how is it his fault that players fu*k up - one example, Adriano who just looked at his player instead of trying to catch up with him.

Maria

His work at Real Madrid has impressed me though but I still remember how shit they were during the beginning. And how they often got saved by some individual brilliance by Ronaldo and at one time, a very dodgy penalty call. And still, they're only three points ahead...

Barca also had a few games this season where you could say that we wouldn't have won if it weren't for the individual brilliance of a player, so I don't know why would we hold that against Ancelotti or any other coach from a big team for that matter. And yes, they're only 3 points ahead, but it hurts to know that we had a 6 points lead. Also knowing that the problem wasn't just the last game and that from the last 6 games we only have 10pts it's what's worrying and makes Tata's decision to rotate against Real Sociedad even more surprising.

Very good point... Even if he messed up last game, the blame is falling only on him, disregarding that many of our players have been slacking since last season...

Like I said, the problem isn't only our last game..is the fact that it has become a tendency and that from the 8 league games in 2014 we have won only 4(against Elche, Malaga, Sevilla and Rayo). And I'm all for blaming the players, but it's not possible that when you win against City the coach is a genius and when we are doing bad in the league the players are lazy.

Add to that the catalan press never liked him anyway, so the campaign against him has only intensified...

99% of the catalan press liked until the game against Real Sociedad..in fact I would say that they definitelly liked him more than our previous 3 coaches or more than the Madrid press liked Pellegrini. But it seems like Tata is the only coach who can't do his job because of the press.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Klopp is the favourite among fans in a poll conducted by Sport. It wont happen. Klopp is in love with Dortmund and the politics and culture of Barca would leave him cold. At Dortmund he has the backing of the board and the fans. All he would get here is incessant sniping from the Catalan Press plus the Madrid press would do their usual shit. Add to that the intrigues and internal bickering in the club and he would hate it here.

Also Dortmund fans MAKE NOISE. Our "fans" sit and smoke and act as if its a night at the theatre.

The culture, the language barrier-these are all barriers I believe. I like Klopp a lot but I don't think he's for Barca.

Home of Barca Fans