Gerardo "Tata" Martino

mixer

That's not necessarily a good thing. Tito got 55 points out of 57 by cutting back on the pressing...
So the pressing is a bad idea in your opinion? We'll lose points because of it? Great logic. It may work against lesser teams but how you can compete with the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, etc?! They are raping us with counters!!

High pressing was the reason of our success past years!!

oz187

That's a very real possibility. I see three pitfalls with pressing:
1) If not pressing means the team is operating at a low intensity then the team can increase and maintain intensity to win those tough games when needed. You could see the first half of the season, the team was fighting for every point, right to the very end. For example away to Sevilla and home to Granada.
2) Pressing could lead to burn out and thus reduced performance for entire games and thus lost points.
3) High pressing often gave Barca complete control, it also meant teams would go into their shell and park the bus. Most of the time Barca would break through eventually but sometimes they couldn't and the opposition then got a goal on the counter, maybe even with a player clean through. With less pressing it means the other team gets drawn out which creates more space for the Barca attack. Barca often have more chance of winning if they are trading goals than if they are just hitting a parked bus and hoping for a break through.

Personally I would advocate a mixture of the two. I'd also through in double pivot. In other words more flexibility in tactics.

mixer

It might make us lose, but it might make us win after all!! If we want to be the best again, there's no point to think twice about it...

You want to be stuck with shitty tactics that everyone can beat with no problems? Quality of our players + high pressing + good, charismatic coach with new ideas = guaranteed success!!

Also, I think double pivot would be a good idea. Could make us concede less. Worth a try, at least.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That's a very real possibility. I see three pitfalls with pressing:
1) If not pressing means the team is operating at a low intensity then the team can increase and maintain intensity to win those tough games when needed. You could see the first half of the season, the team was fighting for every point, right to the very end. For example away to Sevilla and home to Granada.
2) Pressing could lead to burn out and thus reduced performance for entire games and thus lost points.
3) High pressing often gave Barca complete control, it also meant teams would go into their shell and park the bus. Most of the time Barca would break through eventually but sometimes they couldn't and the opposition then got a goal on the counter, maybe even with a player clean through. With less pressing it means the other team gets drawn out which creates more space for the Barca attack. Barca often have more chance of winning if they are trading goals than if they are just hitting a parked bus and hoping for a break through.

Personally I would advocate a mixture of the two. I'd also through in double pivot. In other words more flexibility in tactics.

1) We face parked buses either way, we saw it even last year when we had little intensity. The only difference is that with no intensity in pressing/attacking we didn't even fight back and couldn't do anything.
2)Tata will rotate a lot with younger players and dial down the intensity of our play against lower table teams
3)I don't know how you could actually prefer lazy play just because of the total points value, which really doesn't show how good the team is and was often revealed against teams who bothered to fight back against us. 100 points total isn't the best way to assess a season.

Maria

What Dani had to say about this:

"L'any passat vam dubtar si pressionar o no, i ens va costar coses importants. Si no anem al màxim no aconseguirem res"
"Last year we doubted if we should press or not and it costed us important things. If we don't play at maximum we won't win anything."

oz187

I would say overall they were considering:
1) Tito got cancer.
2) They could be complacent knowing they were going to win the league by a big margin.
3) Messi got injured.

The second leg with Milan showed they were in good shape at that point. The end of the season they won all the games despite Messi being out.

The problems defense were firstly because they risked an aging Puyol as one of only 3 CBs, they should have bought Thiago Silva 2 seasons ago.

The injuries to Busi random and not really due to burn out. Messi is Messi. Normally they are never injured. Personally I've never liked players playing while injured. They should have benched Messi, played double pivot and try to get a draw away to Bayern.

Pepe Silvia

Excited to see the pressing back. It's why we were so boring last season. I agree with the person who said we won't burn out if proper rotation and with Xavi at less # of games.

ceefoo

Browsing back through the Barca Next Season thread, it appears that AS do occasionally get things right:
Argentine coach "Tata" Martino (50), who left Newell's this week, main option to replace Vilanova. Luis Enrique and Bielsa alternatives [as]
Who would've thought it? :omg:

lovebarca

has anybody noticed we are using long balls and more direct approach in both friendlies........
that great improvement.

Home of Barca Fans