Gerardo "Tata" Martino

B

beautifulgame

COULD IT BE
if he plays Neymar there and he's successful there be a problem when Messi comes back? That's not Cesc's position so that wont create any undue problems within the team.

lol lets not go there.

the reason could a tactical one. to create problems when Cesc pulls out and neymar and alexis pull in, like the second goal today.

Cule4life

The Culest
COULD IT BE
if he plays Neymar there and he's successful there be a problem when Messi comes back? That's not Cesc's position so that wont create any undue problems within the team.

Are you serious? Neymar is much better as a winger but with Messi out, our team has the least hit in quality with him at false 9. Do you think Neymar is better than Messi at false 9?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Neymar might be good at false nine but Messi is incredible. No competition. Besides Neymar would give Messi the position even if he were better, which he's not.

coura

Banned
Martino: "Song-Busquets? Plan was for Busi to play 3rd centre back, Alex def mid, attacking full backs, but Villarreal changed formation."

So naive.lol

Alarcón

Good on him for telling the team to stop those useless long passes - I think he may have realised that we're much better off playing like we always have.

The Observer

Do anyone ever ask him about the Cesc false 9 issue in pressers?

There is no "Cesc false 9 issue". It's just a handful of fans wasting their spare time repeating the same thing over and over, pretending to be better coaches than someone who is involved in football at the highest level for 30+ years.

Not playing Neymar in the middle is football 101. Players like Neymar get crowded out by default. He runs well with the ball at his feet, he passes well and is a goal threat => opponents want him marked tightly. Put him in the middle and they will ignore Pedro and Alexis on the wings and concentrate on defending the main threat in the middle and put 3 or 4 bodies tightly around Neymar. On the wing there is more space to work with for Neymar to pull Villarreal's shape apart and create space for his teammates in the middle.

Barca is suffering from this with Messi for quite some time now. With Messi it's even more extreme but Messi is simply good enough to make it work despite heavy marking against pretty much everyone except the very elite teams. Against those teams however even he needs a striker infront of him (AC Milan last season) or to play on the wing (Clasico this season) these days.

Working the wings against a side that is clogging the middle is football 101. You don't want to intensify the clogging effect by putting Neymar centrally.

The irony in all this is that the winning goal came from Cesc playing a pass from midfield and Neymar scoring from the center of the box. The players aren't glued to their positions. They roam.

F

Flavia

There is a cesc at false 9 issue. You need to be blind not to see it. Cesc's been invisible and bad there, reduced to one or two good plays when he finds himself back in midfield. He does not know how to play with his back to the goal. Put neymar, alexis and pedro upfront, and make they roam, and let cesc back to midfield, where he can play well the whole game, and not just for 5 minutes.

B

beautifulgame

observer point is valid though in that the players are suppose to rotate (not roam observer* ;-)) and Cesc pulling out and Neymar pushing in did make that last chance.

HOWEVER, the problem I have with Cesc is he doesn't rotate much at all! He often waits around for the ball in the center too much and clogs it for Alexis and Neymar. Now if Tata has instructed this, I can't say. The issue wouldn't be one for me he moved in and out of those zones more regularly.

All and all the team played with a good intensity today (I saw the only the second half). We recovered the ball quite quickly when we lost it however some of the pressing was a bit sloppy at time. Nonetheless, I was happy. Neymar did look a bit exhausted though.

Last edited:

The Observer

There is a cesc at false 9 issue. You need to be blind not to see it. Cesc's been invisible and bad there, reduced to one or two good plays when he finds himself back in midfield. He does not know how to play with his back to the goal. Put neymar, alexis and pedro upfront, and make they roam, and let cesc back to midfield, where he can play well the whole game, and not just for 5 minutes.

The coaching staff of FC Barcelona under Tito, under Tata and the coaching staff of Spain under del Bosque are "blind" and you know it better. I got that. What else can I say?

Cule4life

The Culest
There is no "Cesc false 9 issue". It's just a handful of fans wasting their spare time repeating the same thing over and over, pretending to be better coaches than someone who is involved in football at the highest level for 30+ years.

Not playing Neymar in the middle is football 101. Players like Neymar get crowded out by default. He runs well with the ball at his feet, he passes well and is a goal threat => opponents want him marked tightly. Put him in the middle and they will ignore Pedro and Alexis on the wings and concentrate on defending the main threat in the middle and put 3 or 4 bodies tightly around Neymar. On the wing there is more space to work with for Neymar to pull Villarreal's shape apart and create space for his teammates in the middle.

Barca is suffering from this with Messi for quite some time now. With Messi it's even more extreme but Messi is simply good enough to make it work despite heavy marking against pretty much everyone except the very elite teams. Against those teams however even he needs a striker infront of him (AC Milan last season) or to play on the wing (Clasico this season) these days.

Working the wings against a side that is clogging the middle is football 101. You don't want to intensify the clogging effect by putting Neymar centrally.

The irony in all this is that the winning goal came from Cesc playing a pass from midfield and Neymar scoring from the center of the box. The players aren't glued to their positions. They roam.

All this would be valid if cesc was good enough in his duties as a false 9. But he isn't. He is not mobile enough. Instead of solving the clogging issue he himself exacerbates it. These interchanges of positions are neither quick not enough with the immobile Cesc in the center.

The way you are basing your argument it seems you think the fans are against the false 9 system itself. The reality is that the fans just don't want Cesc there. Alexis or Pedro would be better there as they are more mobile.

F

Flavia

The coaching staff of FC Barcelona under Tito, under Tata and the coaching staff of Spain under del Bosque are "blind" and you know it better. I got that. What else can I say?
VdB surely knows it better. No wonder he called Diego Costa to play for the spanish nt. He knows Cesc is wasted and not good enough there.

Coaches aren't infalible, or immune to criticism. I don't know why Tata is insisting with Cesc there, as I don't get why Masch is still a cb at Barça, or why no cb has come in the last 3 seasons, despite the team needing one badly. But hey, what do I know, right? Might as well close this forum, there's nothing to discuss, the coaching staff know it all :pep:

Home of Barca Fans