Gerardo "Tata" Martino

Michael

Our play has been too slow and indirect since we won the CL in 2011. It was this way in Pep's last season, it was the same under Tito, and it's still the same under Tata. Maybe the coach is not the real problem?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Our play has been too slow and indirect since we won the CL in 2011. It was this way in Pep's last season, it was the same under Tito, and it's still the same under Tata. Maybe the coach is not the real problem?

Then who? While I agree some players could be brought in to change things up - a more powerful box-to-box CM, a better backup on DM than Song, sometimes I just want to send Alexis packing and bring in a player that could score and dribble better etc. Because we do have players capable of playing faster and more direct - Messi, Iniesta, Cesc, Neymar, Busi, Pedro and Alexis to some extent. We do have great fullbacks and 2-3 good CB's (Masch is 50/50).
Anyway, back to Tata - tbh he has not convinced yet. There is no tactical brilliance yet, no real entertainment, no speed, no creativity. Same Tito football, but at least Tito gave us 100 points in Liga - so far Tata is struggling heavily almost every away game we play, and it's certainly not beautiful to watch. Even if Tito would get a better backup for Busi, a powerful box-to-box with great technique, a better RW than Pedro and Alexis, better backup on RB than Montoya and a WC CB I still think it would look the same. But what can we do now? We have to give him the rest of the season, but I have my doubts.

Michael

Then who?

The spine (Busi, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi) of our team seems burned out to me. Especially Xavi, who is the most important when it comes to dictating tempo. I think they have played too many games for too long and have lost that edge, both mentally and physically. If we could give them all a years vacation (like Pep took) I'm sure that would work miracles. We can't do that, of course, so we need some new players, but to make room for them some of our guys have to leave. I'd sell both Xavi and Iniesta, probably, but it depends on who we can get to replace them.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
The spine (Busi, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi) of our team seems burned out to me. Especially Xavi, who is the most important when it comes to dictating tempo. I think they have played too many games for too long and have lost that edge, both mentally and physically. If we could give them all a years vacation (like Pep took) I'm sure that would work miracles. We can't do that, of course, so we need some new players, but to make room for them some of our guys have to leave. I'd sell both Xavi and Iniesta, probably, but it depends on who we can get to replace them.

Wow, OK. Xavi, yes maybe. Probably he will be replaced in the summer, but Iniesta? Than we have to do something about Messi, 90% of our play can't go through him + if he plays in the midfield we don't have any threat centrally close to goal - but this is Tata's problem to solve...

ammarfcb

ze special one

the players produced the 4-0 win vs milan at camp nou, our best game since pep left. its defiantly not the players

tito was a pure tactician couldn't bring it to life and tata is the kind of guy you'd pick for united job, does anything to win and loves everything to be on the wing.
we need a pep. i football romantic who can tactics and knows how to win. there's method to everything pep does even if he is stubborn sometimes.

i genuinely think tata is just the best 'yes man' rossell could find for his bull ownership.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
A lot of us on the forum are overreacting. Guess that's what happens when we've been spoiled by the Barca of the 2008-2012 years. IIRC Levante used to be a very tough away game. And just because we drew against them, it doesn't mean we should panic.

L

linetty

You guys... every time we lose points, you're panicking, blaming everyone and saying Tata is a bad coach after all. What does the coach have to do with that Xavi missed an open net? Or that Messi had a inferior match?

It was a really tough game and that's just what happens. Atletico lost points too, and they played at home. Madrid should've lost alot more points than did.

There's still a lot of football to play, so there's nothing to worry about. Tata needs to step up and think up a good alternative against defensive team, though. I think he should drop Messi down and play Dongou or Cesc as a #9 till Neymar comes back.

It was obvious that we missed Iniesta and Neymar. They game wasn't so fluid without them. Busquets also didn't play as expected. We had a weaker game because of bad personal performances of the players.

Last edited:

barcanuck

It's not the coaches, it's the lack of personnel. We lack the power of Keita, Yaya, Henry, Eto''o and Marquez used to provide on set pieces defending and scoring. The ability to win duels with raw power is no longer there, we have no one that overpowers anyone anymore.

Barcilliant

It's not the coaches, it's the lack of personnel. We lack the power of Keita, Yaya, Henry, Eto''o and Marquez used to provide on set pieces defending and scoring. The ability to win duels with raw power is no longer there, we have no one that overpowers anyone anymore.

+1!

Tata has very limited resources. The bench is thin, the squad is small(numbers wise and physically) and as other posters have mentioned the big players are all a bit burnt out.

We need some bigger players with skill. Lewandowski would have been perfect upfront and Vidal in midfield.

Barcilliant

tata is just tito with direct football, no real brilliance no real great ambition driving him to great something special, I say we go for the Ajax coach at the end of the season young ambitions managers is what we should also go after.

I say give Tata until the end of the season. I think he's trying to implement new stuff but the players are slow picking up and seem lethargic. In regards to direct football Tata needs to get some bigger players. At least he's trying out new stuff. With Tito it was pass-pass-pass a million times and then concede a goal on the counter.

F

Flavia

With Iniesta still injured, and Xavi and Cesc needing a rest, I wonder if Tata could try a 4-2-1-3 formation, to see if it works:

VV
Alves - Bartra - Puyol - Adriano
Busi - Song(roberto)
Messi
Pedro - Alexis - Tello

serghei

+1!

Tata has very limited resources. The bench is thin, the squad is small(numbers wise and physically) and as other posters have mentioned the big players are all a bit burnt out.

We need some bigger players with skill. Lewandowski would have been perfect upfront and Vidal in midfield.

How exactly do you think Juve is gonna sell arguably the best player they have? You can't just buy every player you want. Right now, the only way to buy a top player is to pay 20-25 million euros over what they're really worth. If Poga is worth 30 million, you'll have to pay 50 to get him. We're not City or PSG.

Galning

How exactly do you think Juve is gonna sell arguably the best player they have? You can't just buy every player you want. Right now, the only way to buy a top player is to pay 20-25 million euros over what they're really worth. If Poga is worth 30 million, you'll have to pay 50 to get him. We're not City or PSG.

Exactly. Vidal would easily go for 50M.

coura

Banned

So true

Home of Barca Fans