Hansi Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

serghei

Haha... comparing Olmo, a star for Spain at the last Euro, with a reject that is bounced from team to team like Felix and a player that is only good enough for Arabia.

Jesus... :lol:

Joan

That player would've been more than good enough for Barca could we afford him.

Conveniently skipped Gundogan, Barca's best performer last season and player good enough for Pep to take back.

ajnotkeith

Haha... comparing Olmo, a star for Spain at the last Euro, with a reject that is bounced from team to team like Felix and a player that is only good enough for Arabia.

Jesus... :lol:
Felix is whatever, but Cancelo was a decent player and we would have liked to have him now given the situation at fullback. I'm sure we would have tried a loan if we could.

Then Gundogan is of course a great player.

serghei

I've never seen a team improved in spite of a manager

That's because there is no such thing. Every team that wins a 38 matches competition does it also because the manager did a very good job. No exceptions.

You can get lucky in cup competition and get a cup or something, but not a league title.

jamrock

If we are talking about injuries both managers had shit luck with injuries and the team is about the same from a injury prospective.

Probably a slight advantage to flick, because it's unlikely he'll have to play with pena in goal this seasom ever.

That's with me not trying to lift up xavi or put down flick who is doing an excellent job so far.

Plus the only constantly fit midfielder we had was gundogan.

serghei

There is one exception actually, just one. Like having a stellar team that is well above the competition in terms of players. Like PSG in France.

But even then the manager still has to be at least decent.

serghei

Like 4-0 vs Madrid, 3-0 vs Atletico, both away? It's not a generally true statement to say the team played shit football, at times the team did great, at times the team played poorly. That I can agree with.

ajnotkeith

Xavi won a league title and that is great, however I would expect a Barca manager to win LaLiga at least once in 2 seasons, including Flick, particularly if poor in Europe (discarding the first season as that wasn't a fair chance to).

Remember Madrid are notoriously bad in LaLiga compared with Europe.

In the same way, on paper, I'm expecting Flick to win LL at least once if he stays for 2 seasons or more., and expect better European performances than we saw under Xavi.

Managers can also be judged on minor criteria such as quality of football or introduction of youth or strength of competition that we'll see as time goes on.

serghei

Xavi won a league title and that is great, however I would expect a Barca manager to win LaLiga at least once in 2 seasons, including Flick, particularly if poor in Europe (discarding the first season as that wasn't a fair chance to).

Remember Madrid are notoriously bad in LaLiga compared with Europe.

In the same way, on paper, I'm expecting Flick to win LL at least once, and expect better European performances than we saw under Xavi.

Managers can also be judged on minor criteria such as quality of football or introduction of youth or strength of competition that we'll see as time goes on.

You can be very demanding, sure. I'd say it's quite demanding to ask of Flick to deliver 2 titles in 3 years or something like that, or to go very far in CL.

The team is not there yet. If he does something like that, I think he is above good and into great territory already.

ajnotkeith

You can be very demanding, sure. I'd say it's quite demanding to ask of Flick to deliver 2 titles in 3 years or something like that, or to go very far in CL.

The team is not there yet. If he does something like that, I think he is above good and into great territory already.
It depends on the strength of Madrid. I think as long as we don't have any more awful injuries to important players this squad (when fully or mostly fit) should be able to aim for around 90 points under a good manager, which is usually enough to win LaLiga. That would be classed as a success.

If that isn't enough, I can't blame him that much.

What wouldn't be acceptable however is if Madrid win the league whilst playing poorly and not having that many points. From very very early indications, it doesn't look like they are a points machine this season as they were last season.

CL is very dependent on the draw, we will see what happens there, but in general assuming we don't draw a big fish immediately we should go to minimum QF.

Of course, if he wins the title, that would put him into good territory already, then maybe great depending on context and other competitions.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Like 4-0 vs Madrid, 3-0 vs Atletico, both away? It's not a generally true statement to say the team played shit football, at times the team did great, at times the team played poorly. That I can agree with.

You know full well what it meant.

But if you want it spelled out: Barca played shit football generally or most of the time.

xXKonan

The lows we had under Xavi in terms of the football were really really bad I mean we were struggling against teams on shoestring budgets a good portion of the time.

It felt like any team can show up and do the bare minimum in terms of structure and we had our hands full. I thought at first it was just Xavi trying to learn the ropes in European football when he got here but it still persisted the day he got sacked at the end of his tenure.

Far too many times he got outcoached over the simplest stuff and just couldn't keep his composure on the sidelines when things didn't go our way. Maybe in his next job and down the line he can iron out the problems.

Home of Barca Fans