Hansi Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

serghei

Yea,. experience for a coaches and players matters a lot, in these high leverage moments.

I'm sure if araujo is in the same situation again, he won't make that tackle.

I think so too. He probably was used to win those type of duels in La Liga, but in CL later stages, the players are smarter, faster, and Barcola did him.

Windhook

The level of intensity is great. As expected the fitness levels are beyond what we've been acustomed to, but to expect Barca will roll over like a 2020 Bayern tank on all opponents is unrealistic. Barca won their first 3 games with minimal lead.

Horatio

You're welcome
I think so too. He probably was used to win those type of duels in La Liga, but in CL later stages, the players are smarter, faster, and Barcola did him.

A bit baffled you guys are using his La Liga as an excuse. If anything, should be other way around. Made these mistakes in La Liga. Should’ve known better. U guys make it sound he’s 18.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

The biggest mistake from Xavi was to sub out Yamal in that PSG match, he was our best man for the offense. We would have scored 1-2 goals eith him on the pitch. Will never forget Gundo in that match, he didnt play his best match but how he demanded the ball and took it forward, a born leader 😭

serghei

A bit baffled you guys are using his La Liga as an excuse. If anything, should be other way around. Made these mistakes in La Liga. Should’ve known better. U guys make it sound he’s 18.

If you're 35 and you play your first CL knockout game, it doesn't matter how old you are, you're still prone to being nervous because you lack the experience at that level.

Araujo is very unproven in CL. He wasn't around in 2019 when the team made the semis. For him the match vs PSG was the biggest of his career to date.

Horatio

You're welcome
If you're 35 and you play your first CL knockout game, it doesn't matter how old you are, you're still prone to being nervous because you lack the experience at that level.

Araujo is very unproven in CL. He wasn't around in 2019 when the team made the semis. For him the match vs PSG was the biggest of his career to date.

Karius biggest match was the cl final against real.

But biggest game in career is a bit lazy imo. If he had advanced next game would be biggest. And if not mistake there final
would be biggest. You seem to have had him absolved of any wrongdoing from
that game and on already.

It’s not that araujo btw is not allowed to make mistakes. It’s also the manner in which. And way he handles it in aftermath.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

I think it's pretty clear that the games vs Inter were key to advancing in the CL in that season. The team failed that year, but last year the club came back and got very close to a CL semifinal and potentially a final.

You need experience to go far in CL, and the team improved on this under Xavi no doubt. Last season it was the best CL run since 2019 by a distance.

I think now Flick can get us an extra step further. He seems up for it. All I see from Flick so far are great signs that he can build more over what Xavi did in his 2 full seasons. It is all about continuing the path forward.

At the moment Xavi got signed, the team was horrible in CL, trashed by Benfica, and even more horrible domestically, at the middle of the pack, on 9th place in La Liga. The situation now is much much improved.

Flick took over a team that shortly before was crowned champions of Spain, and CL quarterfinalists, one step into the semis before an idiotic red card. It's night and day.

It seems Laporta is doing a very good job. Appointed and sacked Xavi at the right moment, and if he got the successor spot on in Flick, this team is going places. If money come back... sky is the limit.
This 9th nonsense has already been debunked 10 times over but we're still seeing it.

Yes, we were 9th, at the start of the season, with almost the entire starting 11 injured and before 4 new starters came in January. And also with a bad manager who the board was undermining.

Posters here including myself already pointed out at the time that the return of the injured players was going to improve the team significantly and 9th was a virtual position, that obviously wasn't our level.

We then made big improvements to the squad the next season. I think the progress you are talking about, some might be Xavi, but the vast majority is just the squad getting back to normal and improving significantly.

ajnotkeith

This was our CL run last season under Xavi -

1st in group, 4W 2L (Porto, Shakhtar, Royal Antwerp)
W vs Napoli
L vs PSG

On paper that is really nothing crazy, I don't know why it's being held up as some achievement on here. The 'progression' in CL was basically all down to the fact we drew a very weak group and a Napoli in terrible form, whereas the year before we competed with Inter and Bayern for qualification.

If Flick got this kind of path, and if Flick had been manager for the 2nd leg against PSG and lost with a 2 goal advantage in the tie, regardless of Araujo's mistake, I would also have blamed him for the loss (there were also tactical reasons why Araujo got caught out and even beyond that, you can still hold a 2 goal lead with 10 men for 60 minutes).

Our CL campaign last season was bare minimum, I wouldn't expect anything less than 1st/qualifying in that group and to go past Napoli, any manager who doesn't do that in a CL campaign has failed in Europe for that season.

jamrock

This 9th nonsense has already been debunked 10 times over but we're still seeing it.

Yes, we were 9th, at the start of the season, with almost the entire starting 11 injured and before 4 new starters came in January. And also with a bad manager who the board was undermining.

Posters here including myself already pointed out at the time that the return of the injured players was going to improve the team significantly and 9th was a virtual position, that obviously wasn't our level.

We then made big improvements to the squad the next season. I think the progress you are talking about, some might be Xavi, but the vast majority is just the squad getting back to normal and improving significantly.

So we weren't 9th when he took over?.

A manager doesn't get credit for improving a team if he gets better players along the way?.

Because that would be some ground breaking stuff.

ajnotkeith

I have seen multiple times in games where Araujo gets extremely rough with the opposing forwards or even shoves them with both hands completely and it isn't called in Spain.

Here is one example. Not the only one, but easily findable and illustrates my point well.

He is used to being overly physical and borderline fouling in order to correct his own mistakes, the refs in LaLiga I assume seem to think that he isn't fouling because he is a strong player, but the refs in Europe see this better, they are higher quality.

jamrock

I have seen multiple times in games where Araujo gets extremely rough with the opposing forwards or even shoves them with both hands completely and it isn't called in Spain.

Here is one example. Not the only one, but easily findable and illustrates my point well.

He is used to being overly physical and borderline fouling in order to correct his own mistakes, the refs in LaLiga I assume seem to think that he isn't fouling because he is a strong player, but the refs in Europe see this better, they are higher quality.
That's literally what he is saying.

Home of Barca Fans