Hansi Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

ajnotkeith

So far he's doing better than Xavi imo. But the season is long and he needs to get it done. Nobody is gonna care of the bright start if the team starts to lose steam.

I prefer his tactical approach to Xavi's. The style is more visually appealing.
Its more visually appealing but more importantly far more convincing. Winning games against relegation fodder by one goal over and over isn't going to prepare you for how to play against the big teams, those are the teams you should be crushing if your attacking play is up to par. Then you also lose points with some bad luck if you grind out results over and over.

With this style it gives far more confidence that we'll be able to attack consistently against the big clubs.

Blackened

An excellent start. Hot take: Barca will win La Liga. Real are disjointed, Mbappe and Vini will probably improve a little bit as time goes on but it does feel like there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Real needs a big, killer number 9. They lack plan B once their constant invidual efforts fail. Also, with the loss of Kroos, their midfield lack a main virtuoso. Their midfield is not up there with Barcas or Citys. Their defence also is not that great. With the exception of Coutrois, Vini and Mbappe (and the latter two who just might struggle to co-exist) their squad really isnt that great. Yes... Barcelona will win La Liga and might go far in the CL. Another unpopular opinion: The new Champions League format seems to me somewhat intriguing and a bit of fresh air! Looking forward to it.

Loki

Was clear as day Xavi wasn't getting the most out of the team. Not even close.

Flick does well so far. We'll see if he'll be able to keep his head above the water with such a thin squad.
But we also can't forget that Flick is building on Xavi's foundation. Especially Lamine and Cubarsi are at this level thanks to Xavi trusting them early. Without Xavi, Cubarsi would play for City today anyways.
I think that's the biggest reason it works so well. He continues to build Xavi's foundation, but he implements also his fast vertical play and together with Deco's new physio team it all works like a well oil machine so far.

ajnotkeith

He does. That's the reason I said so far. He can do it for sure though. Madrid should have lost last night, they escaped out of pure luck.
You accuse people of changing standards yet had this been Xavi you would have been waxing lyrical about our terrible transfer window, how Madrid signed Mbappe the best player in the world, its unreasonable to compete with them, we have no bench, so many injuries etc.

Now Flick has to win LaLiga no ifs or buts and you don't write about any of those factors now, no matter how good the season is in all competitions, if we come 2nd, he would be worse than Xavi?

It lacks nuance. We have to see how strong Madrid is over the course of this season. If they are poor like they were in Xavi's league title season we would aim to win it.

serghei

You accuse people of changing standards yet had this been Xavi you would have been waxing lyrical about our terrible transfer window, how Madrid signed Mbappe the best player in the world, its unreasonable to compete with them etc.

Now Flick has to win LaLiga no ifs or buts, no matter how good the season is in all competitions, if we come 2nd, he would be worse than Xavi?

It lacks nuance. We have to see how strong Madrid is over the course of this season. If they are poor like they were in Xavi's league title season we would aim to win it.

Hmmm, in that season Barca had 85 points in round 34 at the time of claiming the title. That's exactly 2.5 pts / game ratio. Over 38 games, that's 95 points.

You think Flick's Barca can produce that this season and fail to get the title?

ajnotkeith

Hmmm, in that season Barca had 85 points in round 34 at the time of claiming the title. That's exactly 2.5 pts / game ratio. Over 38 games, that's 95 points.

You think Flick's Barca can produce that this season and fail to get the title?
I didn't say they would or they wouldn't, I said we need to wait and see before making claims like 'he is worse than Xavi if he doesn't win LaLiga' with no conditions or context whatsoever.

That is such a simplistic way to evaluate managers, its like saying Di Matteo and Pep Guardiola are equivalent because they both have 1 Champions League in England, no, we need to see the full picture, including all competitions and what the contexts are for both teams.

Flick could lose LaLiga and still have a far better season than Xavi did, he could also win it and it may not be better at all, that's before adding that Xavi only won LaLiga in his time here, and using only one season to represent his level might not be accurate when you see the season that followed. We could have kept Xavi on and he would never win anything again, for instance, so sacking him would be the right decision regardless.

So so so much context and nuance that you always miss out in your takes.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
When we won the title under Xavi he first of all got Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde, Kessie, Christensen in as big name transfers and had Memphis Depay for half a season too.

Real Madrid also had a worse squad.

Now Real Madrid have a very strong squad with depth while we got a better starting XI than last season, but worse depth. Not close to comparable situations.

Should we still expect or hope for a La Liga title? Absolutely, but if they don't win it won't be a failure as long as they keep progressing and playing well.

serghei

I didn't say they would or they wouldn't, I said we need to wait and see before making claims like 'he is worse than Xavi if he doesn't win LaLiga' with no conditions or context whatsoever.

That is such a simplistic way to evaluate managers, its like saying Di Matteo and Pep Guardiola are equivalent because they both have 1 Champions League, no, we need to see the full picture, including all competitions and what the contexts are for both teams.

No, the argument is the opposite. Other people compare him to Xavi saying how much better Flick is for us, and I told these people that he needs to win at least a big title first.

ajnotkeith

No, the argument is the opposite. Other people compare him to Xavi saying how much better Flick is for us, and I told these people that he needs to win at least a big title first.
Would he be better or equivalent if he wins a big title in your opinion? Do you value progress in competitions even if it didn't win anything, let's say he got to the CL final, would that sway your judgement?

serghei

When we won the title under Xavi he first of all got Lewandowski, Raphinha, Kounde, Kessie, Christensen in as big name transfers and had Memphis Depay for half a season too.

Real Madrid also had a worse squad.

Now Real Madrid have a very strong squad with depth while we got a better starting XI than last season, but worse depth. Not close to comparable situations.

Should we still expect or hope for a La Liga title? Absolutely, but if they don't win it won't be a failure as long as they keep progressing and playing well.

OK, then stop comparing as the conditions are never going to be the same. You can say Lamine Yamal at the moment is a higher level talent than anything Xavi had to work with.

Birdy

OK, then stop comparing as the conditions are never going to be the same. You can say Lamine Yamal at the moment is a higher level talent than anything Xavi had to work with.
FFS :lol: That is an aweful argument

Xavi worked with Lamine last season (out of serendipity), and that did not prevent him from producing a horrible season with unwatchable football

Fati_Future_BallonDor

“The season has just started. We played very well, focused, concentrated... we knew that if we gave them space we could combine,” he told reporters.
“We pressed very well. The first goal was incredible. Very beautiful. We deserved the victory. It was a tough game. Girona plays very well. But we started very well and I think we deserved the victory.”

“At half-time I told them that they had to run into space and that’s how Olmo’s goal came about,” he added.
“I’m very happy with the team and the way they play and train. Pedri came to hug me after scoring his goal because before the match I told him that he was going to score today.”

Home of Barca Fans