Ibrahim Afellay

xboogiex

Despite Tito giving a politically correct response to questions about Afellay, MD reported that Tito allegedly informed the player that he isn't likely to see many minutes and is at the end of a long queue of midfielders even for those minutes...I'd conclude that means the player is definitely on the transfer block

Shame, it's been covered ad nauseum over the last season...Truth is, I thought his spell was over here once he got injured last September anyway...But I don't think it bodes well for the club, tbh, to drop a player effectively due to injury when he's clearly contributed in big matches when fit & integrated....Was a cheap signing as well, if he's moved I really would have to conclude it'll be a bad piece of business but it is what it is

I totally agree , Guardiola said the first 6 months were to adept and you could see in last pre season that he was showing real development.
If Barca is gonna sell him now it will prove that Afellay was only market profit.

F

Flavia

barcastuff
Inter informally informed Barcelona about Afellay interest. Sneijder pushes for his transfer. Arsenal other big candidate if he leaves. [md]

I think it'd be the best for him to go. He probably won't get much playing time here.

OrangeOpti

Barça
He's a good player, a pity for him that we have the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Cesc, Thiago, Pedro, etc.
Due to his Barca training, he will outshine in any other team, with some exceptions. It would be pretty cool if he left for inter. Afellay-Sneijder combo is pretty smexeh.

tikitakito

Afellay

Afellay Should stay. Point blanc. Did any of you actually read interviews with Tito, to him he's a very valuable player. Afellay also wants to stay.
Hes been training for a whole year to get his chance and now he's fully recovered people want him to go. Just give the boy his fair chance. He has proven to make a difference before the injury.

Personally Idd rather see Quenca or Tello leave or on loan. Quenca that boy is weak and has no pace , but understands the game well.
As for Tello, a lot of pace but the same old step over and pass even messi was irritated by that move.. Plus both can only be used as a winger.

Afellay on the other hand can be used as a winger and attacking midfielder. he has proven to be capable in both these positions.

2012-07-20_ENTRENO_10-Optimized.v1342785831.jpg

Dont forget this guy has a great long distance shot.. something i have missed the last season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Energetic and polyvalent player like Afellay is an asset. Selling him now would be a mistake and particularly now that he just settled in and adapted. And for what, meager 6-8 million?

Afro

I agree with the posts above, selling Afellay now would be a big mistake. I'd much prefer having him in the squad as cover as opposed to Cuenca and Tello in all honesty. IMO, those two just aren't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Jadentheman

I agree with the posts above, selling Afellay now would be a big mistake. I'd much prefer having him in the squad as cover as opposed to Cuenca and Tello in all honesty. IMO, those two just aren't going to cut it I'm afraid.

Do you seriously think that?! kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Maria

Comparing 20 y.o players with a 26 y.o and saying that they aren't going to make it after they proved in half a year more than Afellay in one year and a half..:facepalm: not to mention that Ibi is going to have Alexis, Pedro, Villa and Cuenca in front of him for the winger post or Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago if he wants to play in the midfield.

zanela

I would say Ibi's clutch play(CL) for me, surpasses anything Cuenca and Tello offered the subsequent season. And Ibi effectively played only half a season ('11) since his arrival, as he was sidelined the whole of 2011-12. So its not right to say our boys did more in lesser time, just like its not fair to write them off this early in their career.
Also point to be noted, is that foreign signings always take some time to adapt to our system than our cantera boys. Hence, the latter may look settled, and appear to be contributing more in an instant.

Whilst i was initially impressed with Tello's confidence, pace, and directness (even if in blowouts). He has since disappointed with his decision making, and one-dimensional play. Cuenca, has variety to his game, and think he has more chance of succeeding at Barca.

Afellay for me, should stay. If not for the sake of his versatility, experience, and the depth he offers, but for robbing an entire season off him owing to the club's negligence.

G

Giannino

Comparing 20 y.o players with a 26 y.o and saying that they aren't going to make it after they proved in half a year more than Afellay in one year and a half..:facepalm: not to mention that Ibi is going to have Alexis, Pedro, Villa and Cuenca in front of him for the winger post or Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc and Thiago if he wants to play in the midfield.

Well, it's not fair to say that Cuenca en Tello made a bigger impact than Afellay as well. Tello and Cuenca are La Masia graduates, they know how the system works, they know how they have to react in all kinds of situations. We bought Afellay from PSV, a team who's playing style is nowhere like Barça's. He had to adopt with the system, with his new teammates, his new coach, his new home etc. And let's be honest, he didn't get much playing time either. What kind of impact could he make in just 10-15 minutes every match? He was afraid to make a mistake and choose to play simple, nowhere like his days at PSV. People who have been watching his games at PSV and the Dutch national squad will know that he's way more talented than what he's been showing us during his little playing time. He could have a big impact on the team if he wasn't injured, who knows? He deserves another chance, but he's most likely not gonna it.

By the way, what's so good about Tello? His pace and acceleration are absolutely phenomenal, but apart from that he's got nothing special. Without room on the wings he would be the same player as Afellay was in his first months, just passing the ball around, afraid to do something special if necessary.

Last edited:

Jadentheman

If he is staying fine. We'll give him another year, however if he doesn't preform well then he probably won't last here for much longer.

veryfatchocobo

Well, it's not fair to say that Cuenca en Tello made a bigger impact than Afellay as well. Tello and Cuenca are La Masia graduates, they know how the system works, they know how they have to react in all kinds of situations. We bought Afellay from PSV, a team who's playing style is nowhere like Barça's. He had to adopt with the system, with his new teammates, his new coach, his new home etc. And let's be honest, he didn't get much playing time either. What kind of impact could he make in just 10-15 minutes every match? He was afraid to make a mistake and choose to play simple, nowhere like his days at PSV. People who have been watching his games at PSV and the Dutch national squad will know that he's way more talented than what he's been showing us during his little playing time. He could have a big impact on the team if he wasn't injured, who knows? He deserves another chance, but he's most likely not gonna it.

By the way, what's so good about Tello? His pace and acceleration are absolutely phenomenal, but apart from that he's got nothing special. Without room on the wings he would be the same player as Afellay was in his first months, just passing the ball around, afraid to do something special if necessary.
IMO Afellay is leagues above both Cuenca and Tello (I don't even really rate them). However, I think it's better to point out that the latter two are willing to be benched. Afellay came as to Barcelona a starter and a star from PSV but is playing second fiddle here. Cuenca and Tello I'd think will forever remain benchers here, but as long as they're willing to stay on the bench, I don't see them moving.

Home of Barca Fans