Ibrahim Afellay

G

Giannino

IMO Afellay is leagues above both Cuenca and Tello (I don't even really rate them). However, I think it's better to point out that the latter two are willing to be benched. Afellay came as to Barcelona a starter and a star from PSV but is playing second fiddle here. Cuenca and Tello I'd think will forever remain benchers here, but as long as they're willing to stay on the bench, I don't see them moving.

I assume that Afellay is smart enough to know that he's part of the best team in the world, and that he needs to prove himself before starting to think about a spot in the first eleven. And even if he wouldn't be a starter, Barça is playing about 60 games a season. Players get tired, suspended, injured, so there's always need for a quality player on the bench, who's ready to jump in when needed. And to be honest, I'd prefer a fully fit Afellay, playing with self-confidence above Cuenca and Tello. He's ''only'' 26 years old, so it's not too late for him to make an impact.

I'd sell him though for a bid around 10-15M.

Ursegor

World Champion
I would say Ibi's clutch play(CL) for me, surpasses anything Cuenca and Tello offered the subsequent season.

I disagree. Cuenca played the cross for the opening goal by Busquets against Chelsea. So he pretty much emulated Afellay's achievement right there. But on top of that he contributed with 4 goals and 8 assists last season while effectively still being a B player. Afellay has only 2 goals and 1 assists to show for in 33 caps for Barcelona. I don't really know what people are expecting from him to be honest. Villa, Alexis and Pedro are clearly ahead of him in the pecking order and if 2 of them get injured at the same time I'd still play the likes of Alves, Adriano, Alba, Iniesta and Fabregas in the front 3 rather than Afellay. If for example Villa, Pedro and Alexis should get injured at the same time by some miracle I'd still play a front 3 of Iniesta-Fabregas-Messi instead of Afellay. That's pretty much the EC winning Spain front 3. Except that we'd have Messi instead of Silva which makes it even better by some margin. All that before we even get into the "Afellay vs. Cuenca / Tello" debate.

Afellay was bought at a time when we only had an underperforming Bojan and an injury prone Jeffren as attacking backups for Villa and Pedro. The inclusion of Fabregas, Thiago and Sanchez into the squad and Busquets' evolution, who has shown at the Euros that he is more than a DM, has changed the whole dynamics of the team regarding attacking options. If Afellay isn't surplus to requirements I don't know who is. Cuenca and Tello are still 20 and 21 with a lot of room for improvement. Afellay is 26. I know which players I'd rather give a chance. On top of that we'll get Neymar next summer anyway and Deulofeu might also get ready for the first team soon. If Afellay doesn't leave this summer he'll do next, of that I'm certain. So if he really received some good offers from the likes of Arsenal, he should consider.

Afro

Do you seriously think that?! kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

To be fair to Tello, as was mentioned in previous posts, he has extremely good pace and acceleration, but apart from that he's pretty mediocre. His finishing and passing are poor, and his decision making lets him down a lot. Yes, he is still young and may still develop but I just don't see it at the moment. Cuenca is a bit of a strange one; for me he offers the team some much-needed width at times and he's shown glimpses of some good deliveries. Beyond that, however, I haven't saw much to suggest he's a option to have in the squad ahead of Afellay. Cuenca and Tello may yet still develop further and come on to a really good game this season, and Ill happily admit I was wrong. I can't see it happening though, and I'd much prefer having Afellay for his versatility above anything.

FWIW I thought Afellay played fairly well tonight.

tikitakito

To be fair to Tello, as was mentioned in previous posts, he has extremely good pace and acceleration, but apart from that he's pretty mediocre. His finishing and passing are poor, and his decision making lets him down a lot. Yes, he is still young and may still develop but I just don't see it at the moment. Cuenca is a bit of a strange one; for me he offers the team some much-needed width at times and he's shown glimpses of some good deliveries. Beyond that, however, I haven't saw much to suggest he's a option to have in the squad ahead of Afellay. Cuenca and Tello may yet still develop further and come on to a really good game this season, and Ill happily admit I was wrong. I can't see it happening though, and I'd much prefer having Afellay for his versatility above anything.

FWIW I thought Afellay played fairly well tonight.

Definately played a decent game yesterday.. you could easily see the diffrence between him and the Barca B players.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I assume that Afellay is smart enough to know that he's part of the best team in the world, and that he needs to prove himself before starting to think about a spot in the first eleven. And even if he wouldn't be a starter, Barça is playing about 60 games a season. Players get tired, suspended, injured, so there's always need for a quality player on the bench, who's ready to jump in when needed. And to be honest, I'd prefer a fully fit Afellay, playing with self-confidence above Cuenca and Tello. He's ''only'' 26 years old, so it's not too late for him to make an impact.

I'd sell him though for a bid around 10-15M.

I don't like putting it in an order of importance because I rate & like Tello & Cuenca as well...I just think all of these players bring something distinct to the team and depending on the situation, can all make a difference given the opportunity...Afellay, for me, has such an intriguing combination of skills & strengths to build on from playing with world class players that I continue to believe Ibrahim might just have a lot more to offer this club

He was a cheap investment so I can't understand the insistence to dump him because he isn't a starter...Particularly when the club would never get value for the player, he is a bargain and every suitor knows this...Versatile depth at cheap rates seems like a logical and very Barça way of doing transfer business...I just hope that one of Tito's new wrinkles to the team is increased rotation

Jaguar

Flair Trait
I hate loan deals for this type of player, if a player at his age and experience is not going to play at our club he may as well be sold for £9 - £13 million.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Either sell him for at least 12M or let him stay with the squad. A loan won't do him any good, just loan out Tello or Cuenca, then. Afellay can be worth a lot next season, he has quality enough.

Ursegor

World Champion
I don't have any hope for this guy. He looks totally out of place compared to his teammates whenever he plays.

ShandyFFM

afellay really looked out of place.. no good positioning... and no pace in his aktions... although he seems to be afraid to take the shoot

Home of Barca Fans