Ibrahim Afellay

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We expected too much after his spirited display in Copa. Afellay wasn't good but that's just a part of adapting. I don't know will he ever become a reliable backup but he has the right attitude so let's be patient.

iced1776

I hope Pep gives him more time in the center of the field because that's where he's looked best so far. He's done decently on the right flank and has had a few nice runs up the sideline but you can tell today that he was a bit overconfident when taking on the left fullback. He's a refreshing change to Iniesta in the middle of the field, he obviously can't handle the ball or distribute as well but he provides a direct approach that defenders won't expect from our attack.

Elite-BkD

Well, considering he played a good full match on Wednesday, the team in general was terribly off, and Sporting were playing well..I wouldn't worry about him.

ivan22

lol you guys are so ridiculous. 1 week ago the majority was like "he fits in perfect", "he's getting better and better", "awesome scoring atacking midfielder", "he's so fast", "superb addition" and now you want him to play with barca B or sell him, or whatever.

give him some time, he even scored already lol. fuck you "fans"

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
lol you guys are so ridiculous. 1 week ago the majority was like "he fits in perfect", "he's getting better and better", "awesome scoring atacking midfielder", "he's so fast", "superb addition" and now you want him to play with barca B or sell him, or whatever.

give him some time, he even scored already lol. fuck you "fans"

thank u for that awesome ending to your post :lol: he even scored already :lol: great argument there
it was a mistake to start him in the liga game away...he is not yet up to speed on our system but big deal...its early and lets give him some time anyway....and starting an away league game is much harder then playing in a cup game away when we are already like 6 goals up or watever the number was.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I love Afellay but I'd agree with some on here, he wasn't really ready for a start and particularly not on the road against a side that notoriously defends in numbers...For me, that was a mistake but I don't fault the player...That merely takes some time to adjust to...Next season, he'll be better prepared for that sort of encounter I'd wager

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I feel sorry for him really. Having Alves behind you is a nightmare if you are not used to playing with him as he plays so far up the pitch.

Silver

Some people already praised Afellay as a world class player. He isn't that yet. Now that he played a bad match shows that his still not ready to be a starter. But he showed already that he's a good sub. Also integration in language, settling down in new town cost time.

iookram

In all of the hype around him, we've to remember that this half season is merely for him to adapt to Barca and the new lifestyle.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
What is this? Afellay is a calss player who is still adapting to the teams style of play, give him time.

kaisers0ze

Though Afellay was somewhat in a prison in that right corner.. I have to give it to the sporting left-back Jose Angel (José Ángel Valdés Díaz). Im a defender myself and it looked like this guy had it all. Age, speed, strength... How he recovered the ball from Afellay's opportunistic sprint (that one sprint he made that he failed to complete miserably).. really got my attention.
Though José did get a yellow card I believe, he did real good.

As for Afellay being opportunistic, i had that same feeling when he played for Holland 3 days earlier. Its a negative trend i havent seen from him before. Hope playing for Barca didnt go to his head.. and the pinch from that last match puts his feet on the soil again.

He's one of the few football players i still follow.

Last edited:

Hidz

He wasn't good last game, but like said before he needs time. I think he can be important for us in the future, maby as starting player or maby as important sub.

Can't wait to see him play again(he stays dutch ;) )

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
I don't know if he's disciplined enough to play as a winger for us...he tends to drop deep, to try and collect the ball, but that's not the best thing to do as a winger, in our formation at least. As a midfielder this would be no problem. So he has to adapt his style a bit, or he shouldn't be used as a winger.

Home of Barca Fans