Ilaix Moriba

ajnotkeith

It's fine if you dislike Romero. I was also never his biggest fan but think he has become more reliable lately. Calling him a racist without any evidence is wrong though. Unless you think he would intentionally report about Ilaix's wish to retun only to get more hateful comments towards Moriba again it's not his or other "racist Catalan media" fault that uneducated/uncultivated Barca "fans" on social media were going hard for Ilaix after his unpopular decision to leave. They were cleary way overboard with racist remarks but that's a responsibility of every single person sending him those shit messages/mails. We can't blame Catalan media for that.

I'm also sure Romero can handle "people giving him shit". It's part of his job, he knows not everyone will agree with him. That doesn't mean he was wrong about Ilaix wanting to come back or at least that he has some sources (that he trusts) telling him that.

Personally I was disappointed when Ilaix left because I believed he could become a very good player for the club while also thought it was the wrong move for him (and looks like it so far but he's still young and can turn things around).He was probably also ill-advised by his agents who were only looking for money. But in the end it's his career anyway and he can do whatever he wants. I still wish him the best like I do to every player leaving Barca (regardless of what I've thought about them before) unless they would sign for Madrid in future. That's the only sin I can't excuse. But if players believe the grass is greener on the other side then most of them will eventually be proven wrong.

For me every player that is unhappy at Barca should leave regardless of his name and status but I've never hold that against those players (mostly because we usually have exactly the opposite problem of players we want to offload not wanting to go :lol: ). That's why I also wanted Messi to leave in 2020 when he clearly didn't want to stay.

After the game against Elche where Dembele played one of the best games I've seen in a while from him, many outlets and journalists wrote bad about him and said we shouldn't renew him and it just made me wonder... are we watching the same game? I thought he was phenomenal and could easily ended with 3 assists if we had a good striker.

I honestly believe a lot of that is driven by racism, because we both know if a Catalan player played that game nobody would stop talking about it. Instead when it's Dembele it's somehow a bad game. Louis Van Gaal said himself, when things go wrong here, they blame the foreigners. He has his own reasons to say that but it's something many people who have been at Barca have remarked on.

On Ilaix, these things can happen. He's only 18 and gone to a very competitive club in a new country, and as I wrote above the various Mingueza/Eric/Abde or whoever would probably suffer the same thing in a club like Leipzig where there's proper competition, not here where your replacement is Umtiti or Jutgla. He is naive for thinking the grass would be greener but I don't doubt it will make him a better player in the long run, having to fight for minutes and face competition. They changed their manager so he can probably get more in favour now.

Messi983

Oh, of course they protect Catalan golden boys and blame foreigners. And I don't like it. Barca is the only club in the world where likes of Busi and Alba can underperform for years and are still untouchable with basically no pressure from local media. Pique had his fair share of criticism over the years though tbh but mostly for off the field stuff than his actual performances on the pitch.

But this doesn't have to do with racism imo. It's more Catalan nationalism/pride or whatever we call it. Only thing Ilaix and Dembele have in common is their race so I could see where your point is coming from but I disagree. Their cases/background are different. People were angry with Ilaix because they've had high hopes for him, wanted him to stay and didn't like and/or expect that kind of behaviour (willing to sit out a season before eventually being sold) from a homegrown kid. OTOH they are unhappy/mad with Dembele because he's an injury prone big money flop and most fans would actually be happy to see him go. Nothing can change that at this point even if he renews, somehow stays fit and starts to play consistently better people will never forget last 4,5 years.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Let's not sweep under the rug his high salary (highest ever for youth player at club) with Juvenil A - he has been a money hound for awhile, part of that is no question on Bartomeu for rewarding it but just as much on player & family/agent

He deserves no empathy in this situation much less the one last summer when he refused to extend knowing full well the club's financial restraints - he is far from a La Masia model player like Busi, Pique et al. There is love for club and there is love of money, Ilaix chose the latter & now has regrets. He has to live with them

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
After the game against Elche where Dembele played one of the best games I've seen in a while from him, many outlets and journalists wrote bad about him and said we shouldn't renew him and it just made me wonder... are we watching the same game? I thought he was phenomenal and could easily ended with 3 assists if we had a good striker.

I honestly believe a lot of that is driven by racism, because we both know if a Catalan player played that game nobody would stop talking about it. Instead when it's Dembele it's somehow a bad game. Louis Van Gaal said himself, when things go wrong here, they blame the foreigners. He has his own reasons to say that but it's something many people who have been at Barca have remarked on.

On Ilaix, these things can happen. He's only 18 and gone to a very competitive club in a new country, and as I wrote above the various Mingueza/Eric/Abde or whoever would probably suffer the same thing in a club like Leipzig where there's proper competition, not here where your replacement is Umtiti or Jutgla. He is naive for thinking the grass would be greener but I don't doubt it will make him a better player in the long run, having to fight for minutes and face competition. They changed their manager so he can probably get more in favour now.

Which Catalan outlets and journalists wrote bad about Dembele and said we should not renew him, by the way?

Either way, expressing one's opinion and saying we shouldn't renew him, regardless of whether you agree with that opinion or not, is not racist.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Lesportiu for one has bashed the Catalan trio (Pique, Busquets and Alba) plenty of times lately. And it is always on the forefront of combating racism and sexism etc.

ajnotkeith

Which Catalan outlets and journalists wrote bad about Dembele and said we should not renew him, by the way?

Either way, expressing one's opinion and saying we shouldn't renew him, regardless of whether you agree with that opinion or not, is not racist.

This one from Sport was hilarious :

'Dembele continued to lose ball after ball in his repeated attempts down the wing, so much so that the fans started to whistle and boo him'

Like what...

Or this gem from ARA :

'The Camp Nou loses patience with some sacred cows. Amongst the worst players of Barca, Dembele was whistled for a poor match'

When he was evidently one of the best players on the field, lol, they are literally denying reality in order to blame him for things that are going on. Plenty of reports like that, somehow. When I read those I wondered if maybe I watched a replay of another game by accident...

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
According to Kicker, Moriba has been cited for not being a team player or reliable and despite Leipzig lacking squad depth are not calling on him

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Honestly given how often Dembele has been injured, how average he's mostly been for a player that cost this club 145m(transfer fee not his fault obv, but you know how it works) the local press have been very lenient on him.

Coutinho meanwhile have been absolutely trashed.

The local fans have also been very supportive and patient with him. Backing him, and applauding him most of the time he plays.

People there have been living in hope that Dembele magically transforms into the player some people think he is, which he isn't. But that's why they go easy on him.

Him being a fucking idiot always being late until recently is usually what they report the most, and why shouldn't they if the idiot keep repeating the same mistakes. Luckily it seems like he's learning in that regard lately.

xXKonan

Per Kicker, Leipzig?s 16 million Euro signing from Barca, Ilaix Moriba has not made a strong impression, indeed viewed as unreliable & not team orientated. Jesse Marsch couldn?t get going with him & Domenico Tedesco hasn?t called on him so far despite a personnel shortage.

Devils

Can't say I feel bad for him.

On the other hand, this is another reason why agent commissions need to be regulated in football. Some of these agents will do anything for a quick payday, even if it means advising for self gain and potentially ruining a talented teenagers career.

delancey

Can't say I feel bad for him.

On the other hand, this is another reason why agent commissions need to be regulated in football. Some of these agents will do anything for a quick payday, even if it means advising for self gain and potentially ruining a talented teenagers career.

I agree but I also think he was ill advised by his parents who most certainly were pushing for a larger paycheck abroad.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think some other good team will sign him if Leipzig push him out, but it certainly isn't going to be what he was anticipating when he made this move.

Worked out for us with Nico though.

Home of Barca Fans