İlkay Gündoğan

SeloBarca

Yeh, I don't think he said that. It was more like how the ppl around him thought he was suited for Barca's style of play.

Yea sorry, he said that people had said his playstyle suitded us very good "people have told me my playstyle would fit well in Barcelona"

I prefer Gündogan over Koke. Koke is in the same mold as Iniesta and Rakitic. Theres very few in the mold of Xavi, and Gündogan is one of them.

DinhoR10

Yea sorry, he said that people had said his playstyle suitded us very good "people have told me my playstyle would fit well in Barcelona"

I prefer Gündogan over Koke. Koke is in the same mold as Iniesta and Rakitic. Theres very few in the mold of Xavi, and Gündogan is one of them.

If koke was actually in the same mold as iniesta he'd fit, but aside from similar positioning they are nothing alike style wise.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Koke never impressed me. I'd take Gundogan over Koke hands down.

But I've a big soft spot for BVB and I hate to see them being torn apart. I hope Reus stays.

DrPepper

Yeah, I'd like him to stay at Dortmund because I like the club, but if he decides to move I hope it's to us.

But other than his nasty back injury I don't think he missed a lot due to injuries. So he isn't really injury prone.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Hes more of an AM yes. Cesc maybe would be closer. Xavi and Gündogan are more maestros of a game.

In that case, yeah. I'd tend to agree. But we don't know what Koke could do in a Barca style system considering that Atleti play nothing like we do.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Comparing Koke and Gundogan is very interesting, both are similar players and are at a similar level of ability. Gundogan functions better in the Xavi role but Koke is the more versatile player all round.

Koke is the more capable player physically and defensively under Simeone's tutelage over the years. He's also infinitely better with set piece deliveries and the better final chance creator in general averaging 3.7 key passes per game this season and having awesome assist stats yearly from various scenarios despite playing in a defense-heavy team. He can play as a wide midfielder, CM, DM, and debuted at RB for Spain. When he's had the right chances to show it, he's proven that his pass and move game is excellent (like vs. Malmo in the 4-3-3 setup, shifting to CM against Real Madrid in la liga this season).

Gundogan, on the other hand, is more refined technically. He's intelligent and aware in the way Xavi is and his footwork/agility is great for a player in his position. Rarely do you see a central midfielder accelerate at the level a fit Gundogan does. He's like a German version of Thiago (or vice versa since Gundogan came first), the difference being his German engine/dynamic ability compared to Thiago's flair.

Gundogan is definitively better for a team like Barca but when comparing the two in caliber they are very level.

ScoobySquats

Comparing Koke and Gundogan is very interesting, both are similar players and are at a similar level of ability. Gundogan functions better in the Xavi role but Koke is the more versatile player all round.

Koke is the more capable player physically and defensively under Simeone's tutelage over the years. He's also infinitely better with set piece deliveries and the better final chance creator in general averaging 3.7 key passes per game this season and having awesome assist stats yearly from various scenarios despite playing in a defense-heavy team. He can play as a wide midfielder, CM, DM, and debuted at RB for Spain. When he's had the right chances to show it, he's proven that his pass and move game is excellent (like vs. Malmo in the 4-3-3 setup, shifting to CM against Real Madrid in la liga this season).

Gundogan, on the other hand, is more refined technically. He's intelligent and aware in the way Xavi is and his footwork/agility is great for a player in his position. Rarely do you see a central midfielder accelerate at the level a fit Gundogan does. He's like a German version of Thiago (or vice versa since Gundogan came first), the difference being his German engine/dynamic ability compared to Thiago's flair.

Gundogan is definitively better for a team like Barca but when comparing the two in caliber they are very level.

+1. Well thought out and i agree 100%. Gundogan is my dream singing for Barcalona simply because he understands the puppeteer role Xavi plays at our club but offers his own in his physicality and efficiency. Also, i don't want Real Madrid to get him just like they got Modric and Isco :(

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
+1. Well thought out and i agree 100%. Gundogan is my dream singing for Barcalona simply because he understands the puppeteer role Xavi plays at our club but offers his own in his physicality and efficiency. Also, i don't want Real Madrid to get him just like they got Modric and Isco :(

Let's hope he has taken note of what happened to one of his best friend's Sahin.

SeloBarca

Dont think Thiago and Gündogan is that similiar either. Thiago is also more like Cesc and Iniesta and a reason i didnt see him as good fit alongside Iniesta when they both played.

M

Madara Uchiha

Will he by any chance have a buyout clause this summer like Reus?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans