İlkay Gündoğan

Kohe321

Fair enough mate. I understand that you wanted to throw an angry fist towards our moronic board but in this case I won't blame them for much. Trust me, I also use most opportunities to criticize them simply because I believe that they have hurt our club more than they have helped it.

Nor do I actually want us to buy Pogba unless the asking price will be around 60-70 million euros at most.

Yeah that's exactly how I felt. Disappointed seeing a great player, and one of my favorite picks for a CM in our midfield slip us by for such a good price. But better times are coming this summer with a new board so no reason to get too frustrated. :)

Agreed on your point about Pogba by the way, the maximum asking price should not be any more than 60-70m euros. I'd love him at Barca if the price can be kept below "crazy".

Last edited:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
If Gundogan regains his top form, this will be a slight regret, but that's still a big if. I've watched Gundogan quite a bit this season, keeping an eye on him because of both his potential for Barca, and because I like the player, and he is not playing like he did before his injury. Right now, he's just another good player, not the great one we saw before.

It is a worthy gamble by United, who need to shake things up, but even if able to sign players now, I doubt Barca would be looking at him under his current condition.

zanela

ManU have their MF locked for the foreseeable. Meanwhile, not many MF upgrades remain for Barca to consider. I suspect we'll go big for Pogba, even if I'm not sure it will work out long-term give the agent he has.

Falcao

Very excited about this. We're also favourites for Depay and apparently Clyne is a done deal too. Good to see Woodward and Van Gaal are looking to get things wrapped up early, last summer was fun but I couldn't do that every year.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Who is left now that is realistically still available ?

Dh14_RVD0.jpg

Last edited:

Kohe321

If Gundogan regains his top form, this will be a slight regret, but that's still a big if. I've watched Gundogan quite a bit this season, keeping an eye on him because of both his potential for Barca, and because I like the player, and he is not playing like he did before his injury. Right now, he's just another good player, not the great one we saw before.

It is a worthy gamble by United, who need to shake things up, but even if able to sign players now, I doubt Barca would be looking at him under his current condition.

How big part of his lessened performance do you reckon is down to Dortmund being in terrible form collectively this season? I have seen a handful of their games with Gundogan this season and from what I've seen he looked pretty good, but the team were often a shambles and completely lacked any clear direction in their play. It looked hard for a midfielder to shine in that environment.

Just wondering, because I think chances are good that he could explode back to his old best if he played in a world class team again. Just look at Thiago at Bayern who after a year out injured is playing as if the injury never happened. Not comparable situations, but worth a thought.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
How big part of his lessened performance do you reckon is down to Dortmund being in terrible form collectively this season? I have seen a handful of their games with Gundogan this season and from what I've seen he looked pretty good, but the team were often a shambles and completely lacked any clear direction in their play. It looked hard for a midfielder to shine in that environment.

Just wondering, because I think chances are good that he could explode back to his old best if he played in a world class team again. Just look at Thiago at Bayern who after a year out injured is playing as if the injury never happened. Not comparable situations, but worth a thought.

It's a good argument, because without a doubt Dortmund's struggles as a team do affect individual players. However, I also followed the player specifically, after all, I wasn't watching Dortmund for Dortmund, but for Gundogan and Reus; and the player himself struggled, independently of the team, even if the team did not help him. Gundogan has been slower, not just physically, but mentally. But the biggest impact has been his defensive contributions. Before he got injured he could break down the opponent with his passes, movement and vision, but he would also contribute a lot defensively with high work-rate and intense pressing. I don't see the same work-rate, the same intense pressing and the same agility and movement, and it is more noticeable in the defensive side.

It's a bit of a similar situation to the one currently with Iniesta. You know the way the team is playing doesn't really do him any favors, but you also see the player himself is not quite up to the same level he was before.

I say this, without also saying he could very well regain his form. It is not impossible and he is still young enough that if his injury was not debilitation, he could regain his top form, I just haven't seen it yet and it will remain an "if" in my book.

If he does regain form, it will definitely be a missed opportunity for Barca, but then again, we are transfer banned and could have done very little to nothing anyways.

Last edited:

Kohe321

It's a good argument, because without a doubt Dortmund's struggles as a team do affect individual players. However, I also followed the player specifically, after all, I wasn't watching Dortmund for Dortmund, but for Gundogan and Reus; and the player himself struggled, independently of the team, even if the team did not help him. Gundogan has been slower, not just physically, but mentally. But the biggest impact has been his defensive contributions. Before he got injured he could break down the opponent with his passes, movement and vision, but he would also contribute a lot defensively with high work-rate and intense pressing. I don't see the same work-rate, the same intense pressing and the same agility and movement, and it is more noticeable in the defensive side.

It's a bit of a similar situation to the one currently with Iniesta. You know the way the team is playing doesn't really do him any favors, but you also see the player himself is not quite up to the same level he was before.

I say this, without also saying he could very well regain his form. It is not impossible and he is still young enough that if his injury was not debilitation, he could regain his top form, I just haven't seen it yet and it will remain an "if" in my book.

If he does regain form, it will definitely be a messed opportunity for Barca, but then again, we are transfer banned and could have done very little to nothing anyways.

Good post and points made. :cheers:

Bertus

Well, I guess that means we will definitely go for Pogba then.

In before we fail to sign Pogba too...

Gundogan for 30M euros is a bargain, even if I consider him inferior to Verratti and Pogba.

But strictly talking about money, 30M is cheap nowadays.

Bertus

How physical is he? He's not that tall and I think of him as a more dynamic version of Herrara...Fellaini is in the team just as a counterbalance to the lightweight players and I don't think gundogan will solve that problem...

verratti is a midget yet can keep the ball even when giants pursue him.

Height means nothing in football. Or barcelona wouldn't have won so many titles in recent history with their team full of midgets.

Even the very best CB of his time was only 178cm in case you forgot about it.

BenRobbins

verratti is a midget yet can keep the ball even when giants pursue him.

Height means nothing in football. Or barcelona wouldn't have won so many titles in recent history with their team full of midgets.

Even the very best CB of his time was only 178cm in case you forgot about it.

Your just off mate. Titus Bramble was slightly taller than that. Around 185 cm.

Titus-Bramble2_2581476b.jpg

Home of Barca Fans