İlkay Gündoğan

khaled_a_d

It's embarrassing that we're not interested in him. Or even never heard of him.

There was rumors last year that we were following him ,but he was injured most of the season and renewed his contract
Right now I am not even sure he will like to join us ,with one year left he will have control on which club he leaves and with the transfer ban he might not be interested to wait and join us later with other big clubs interested
And just for the record ,many times every summer we sign players that rumors didn't link us to them heavily during the season .not until Lucho appointed Suarez was linked to us IIRC .at same time last year Rakitic was between RM&A.Madrid

Alarcón

It's embarrassing that we're not interested in him. Or even never heard of him.

We would have signed him last summer if not for his injury.

Eh? Does it even matter? He won't sign for us either way.

Of course he would. How are you not able to see that most players would rather sign for a better club than make more money? There is no player in the world who would choose United if he could play for Barça or Madrid. If Barça come calling, Gündogan will stay at Dortmund until January and then join us. He will not be cup tied anyway.

L

linetty

Of course he would. How are you not able to see that most players would rather sign for a better club than make more money? There is no player in the world who would choose United if he could play for Barça or Madrid. If Barça come calling, Gündogan will stay at Dortmund until January and then join us. He will not be cup tied anyway.
Most players? Pls.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We lost pepappeal but there are plenty of players that'd pick Barca over more paying epl clubs.

I wouldn't cry a lot over Gundogan tbh. although I would agree getting him on a free transfer.

DrPepper

He's the best player we can realistically get who's actually affordable. Not to forget he has insane potential as well. I would cry a lot.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What position he would play? We already have a workhorse cm in Rakitic.
More pressing need is to get a player for Iniesta role.

DrPepper

Considering the lack of control we often have without Xavi, a playmaker type in the mould of Verratti, Koke or Gündogan is more important. Since we're not getting the first two, Gündogan should be our priority. He's also versatile enough to play the Iniesta part, since he sometimes played behind the striker at Dortmund and started as an attacking midfielder in Nürnberg. Instead we're chasing a player whose qualities are not needed in our team.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
It'd be ok if we tried and didn't get him, but not even be considering it is consterning :(

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, you are basing your opinion on a player that last played 2 years ago on a level that's implied.

I could be mistaken, but it seems that in many instances post-injury Gundogan is not being compared to pre-injury Gundogan, but rather to his MOTM performance against RM. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I don't watch merely enough Bundesliga to form a definitive opinion on whether Gundogan has permanently declined or not. But if his "physical decline" is what we're mainly concerned about, then one imperfect way to assess that would be to randomly pick a number of extended player highlights and compare his pace, agility, etc… post and pre injury.

Post-Injury:

Pre-Injury:

Again, it's not ideal, but to me it doesn't seem that he has considerably declined to warrant not considering him as an option, especially considering the alternatives.

Home of Barca Fans