İlkay Gündoğan

Alen

Gundogan plays very deep. He both creates from deep and defends deep. Iniesta defends a lot (covering fullback like Rakitic) but still not as much as Rakitic...he gets to attack more and stay up further...not sure what makes Gundogan ideal for Iniesta's position. He isn't an aggressive dribbler or takes on players, isnt very pacey and doesn't quite link up regularly in tight spaces (I know he does it, but it's not his forte), which is something we need vs parked buses.

He could be good in Rakitic's role however...

Rakitic actually attacks more than Iniesta as he goes down the right side freeing the inside of the field for Messi. Iniesta doesn't attack much anymore and often stays behind. These abilities you describe don't correspond to iniesta this year, he rarely takes on anyone, doesn't make his signature run anymore and doesn't need to combine in tight spaces because he never finds himself in one. His job is to defend, break opposite high pressing with his conservation abilities, and provide limited support offensively. Gundogan can do that confortably.

Co0ter

Rakitic actually attacks more than Iniesta as he goes down the right side freeing the inside of the field for Messi. Iniesta doesn't attack much anymore and often stays behind. These abilities you describe don't correspond to iniesta this year, he rarely takes on anyone, doesn't make his signature run anymore and doesn't need to combine in tight spaces because he never finds himself in one. His job is to defend, break opposite high pressing with his conservation abilities, and provide limited support offensively. Gundogan can do that confortably.

You haven't read my other posts about this probably so I know why you responded that way. I agree that is what Iniesta used to be capable of and I agree with how you described his performance this year. However, I don't think his performance that way was what was intended, just what he was capable of right now and the best we could get out of everyone else.

What I'm describing is what I believe that LM position ideally needs...someone who has those traits, someone like Kovacic.

Kovacic can defend better than Iniesta given the fact he's more physical alone and has those offensive traits as well. Gundogan is more suited for Rakitic's position and both of them starting together just isn't a good fit. Sure Rakitic could be more offensive since he naturally is but he still doesn't have someone like Kovacic's abilities, he attacks in a different way.

Last edited:

Alen

You haven't read my other posts about this probably so I know why you responded that way. I agree that is what Iniesta used to be capable of and I agree with how you described his performance this year. However, I don't think his performance that way was what was intended, just what he was capable of right now and the best we could get out of everyone else.

What I'm describing is what I believe that LM position ideally needs...someone who has those traits, someone like Kovacic.

Kovacic can defend better than Iniesta given the fact he's more physical alone and has those offensive traits as well. Gundogan is more suited for Rakitic's position and both of them starting together just isn't a good fit. Sure Rakitic could be more offensive since he naturally is but he still doesn't have someone like Kovacic's abilities, he attacks in a different way.

Kovacic would be great. I'm all for it. All i'm saying is Gundogan is good, and would be complementary to both Rakitic and Iniesta. So buying him is a good idea.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Highly doubt Bayern is interested, where is he going to fit exactly?, they have Thiago, Gotze, Muller, Xabi Alonso etc

Xabi will leave in 1 year at the latest, Thiago ist somewhat injury prone, to say the least, Götze doesn't play that position, Müller neither, Schweinsteiger might very well be off to ManU.

raskolnikov

I don't even want him at Bayern. Just saying that they are interested.

btw, could you please define "stolen" for me in that case?
hmm maybe Seduced/taken or corrupted are better words for it.

Little point though in being interested, bundesliga is already dead. Maybe just get De Bruyne to be sure Wolfsburg wont rise.

Jombi

hmm maybe Seduced/taken or corrupted are better words for it.

Little point though in being interested, bundesliga is already dead. Maybe just get De Bruyne to be sure Wolfsburg wont rise.

I am not sure it is better for the Wolfsburg or Dortmund players to go to England and Spain than to Bayern. At least the stars are kept in the league if they go to Bayern. I think Bundesliga should be commended for taking a firm stance against corrupt oil investor owners who use their clubs as toys. Even if it means "Bundesliga is dead".

Icarium

Lifestealer
Bayern will get De Bruyne, they won't go for Gundogan mostly. But i would not be surprised if they did make a move for him.

dakt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's much closer to Xavi than Iniesta in terms of playing style?
To me he looks like much better option then overrated Pogba.

Home of Barca Fans