İlkay Gündoğan

Co0ter

Would of rather given more chances to youngsters if Rakitic was out rather than sign him. At Gundogan's best I'd still choose Rakitic over him, let alone the BARELY AVERAGE form he's been in this season. More and more people are starting to see he isn't the player he used to be and there is absolutely no reason to believe he will ever be again. We are bringing in someone to challenge Rakitic and would be useless at LM.

Jombi

Would of rather given more chances to youngsters if Rakitic was out rather than sign him. At Gundogan's best I'd still choose Rakitic over him, let alone the BARELY AVERAGE form he's been in this season. More and more people are starting to see he isn't the player he used to be and there is absolutely no reason to believe he will ever be again. We are bringing in someone to challenge Rakitic and would be useless at LM.

Rakitic isnt useless in Iniesta's position though.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If BVB want to sell him in summer and Bayern have tabled a very good offer for him then I think he'll go to Bayern.

Jombi

The problem we have is that Rakitic played about 3000 minutes this season and Xavi played about 2000 minutes. Xavi is leaving. Who will play all those minutes? Samper? Is Busquets going to play CM and Roberto DM?

Co0ter

Rakitic isnt useless in Iniesta's position though.

After a performance like yesterday, why would you want to move him? Why mess with something when it works? We have a history of changing things and adding players to positions when we don't need to and ignoring the obvious areas that need improvement.

Jombi

After a performance like yesterday, why would you want to move him? Why mess with something when it works? We have a history of changing things and adding players to positions when we don't need to and ignoring the obvious areas that need improvement.

He isnt moved. A player like Gundogan will play like Xavi plays now, and Rakitic and Xavi have played alot together this season, including yesterday. Most of the time when Xavi has played, Rakitic has played as well and Xavi has played more than 2000 minutes this season. If we dont get any replacement for Xavi, then that would be a bigger change for next season than actually having a player that can play together with Rakitic or Iniesta.

Last edited:

Co0ter

He isnt moved. A player like Gundogan will play like Xavi plays now, and Rakitic and Xavi have played alot together this season, including yesterday. Most of the time when Xavi has played, Rakitic has played as well and Xavi has played more than 2000 minutes this season. If we dont get any replacement for Xavi, then that would be a bigger change for next season than actually having a player that can play together with Rakitic or Iniesta.

1/4 of Xavi's 2000 minutes have been as a sub. He only started 21 games, was a sub for 21 games as well. Bringing him on as a sub when the game is already put away or starting Copa matches (or against weak Liga sides) isn't going to keep Gundogan happy...he is like 24 years old and a starter for Dortmund.

Almost every big or important game (Most Liga matches honestly) was Iniesta LM, Rakitic RM.

Jombi

1/4 of Xavi's 2000 minutes have been as a sub. He only started 21 games, was a sub for 21 games as well. Bringing him on as a sub when the game is already put away or starting Copa matches (or against weak Liga sides) isn't going to keep Gundogan happy...he is like 24 years old and a starter for Dortmund.

Almost every big or important game (Most Liga matches honestly) was Iniesta LM, Rakitic RM.

Well, it will be a huge change next season if we are simply not going to replace Xavi. Xavi started the same number of games as Iniesta in the league this season. Xavi didnt play the Copa. I am not convinced that Rafinha can play all those minutes in Xavi's position next season.

Co0ter

Xavi played in 2 Copa games. Iniesta started in 13 more games than Xavi and played 600 more minutes...he also only played 150 minutes of his 2800+ as a sub.

I think a youth product can handle 500 sub minutes and 1500 minutes vs weaker teams/Copa. Rafinha still has a lot of potential...if given the confidence and minutes I think he could handle it, Samper can take Rafinha's minutes (1800) if he truely is the talent many make him out to be. I believe in them more than Gundogan post injury and in this kind of form...

I think an Iniesta replacement with Iniesta tansitioning to less minutes is more important since we have no one to fill that role (I'm not counting Rakitic since I think a Rakitic and Rafinha/Gundogan midfield is far from ideal).

Jombi

Xavi played in 2 Copa games. Iniesta started in 13 more games than Xavi and played 600 more minutes...he also only played 150 minutes of his 2800+ as a sub.

I think a youth product can handle 500 sub minutes and 1500 minutes vs weaker teams/Copa. Rafinha still has a lot of potential...if given the confidence and minutes I think he could handle it, Samper can take Rafinha's minutes (1800) if he truely is the talent many make him out to be. I believe in them more than Gundogan post injury and in this kind of form...

I think an Iniesta replacement with Iniesta tansitioning to less minutes is more important since we have no one to fill that role (I'm not counting Rakitic since I think a Rakitic and Rafinha/Gundogan midfield is far from ideal).

Xavi started against teams like Real Madrid, Valencia (both games), Sevilla among other games this season. These are tough, tough games. Any midfielder we have will be required to step in and start against any team. Can Samper really start against these teams next season? Rafinha in Xavi's position? I think we are underestimating Xavi's contribution to our success this season. It is the most important position in the team IMO, and not replacing Xavi when he leaves could be a grave mistake.

Alik

What if Rakitic needs to rest or gets injured? Playing with Rafinha and Iniesta at the same time is a risk. Same with playing with Samper.

Home of Barca Fans