Ivan Rakitić

serghei

Rakitic is still a decent backup. You can't sell over 50% of your midfield in 1 season, specially when you plan to keep an Iniesta who you'd be lucky if he gives you 50% worth of games in a season.
I'd be happy with Arda, Rafinha and Gomes being replaced with 2 WC starting CMs. Rest I'm ok keeping for depth.

The problem here is not Rakitic, it is the people who bought Rakitic and thought they were getting anything more than a rotational midfielder. This was always what he was, and the fact he has had good periods that might have belied his status doesn't change what he is. Rakitic was, is and will be a rotational midfielder for this team. He needs to be played like one.

True, but you also have to look at the fees these players can command. Rakitic can be sold for up to 40m. in Premier League. Out of the players who are not good enough, Rakitic can bring us to most money.

I have no problem to keep Rakitic as a rotational player. But we need something like 100-120m. for two top midfield signings. And that's not counting a RB and a possible winger in the right.

JamDav1982

Rakitic is still a decent backup. You can't sell over 50% of your midfield in 1 season, specially when you plan to keep an Iniesta who you'd be lucky if he gives you 50% worth of games in a season.

I'd be happy with Arda, Rafinha and Gomes being replaced with 2 WC starting CMs. Rest I'm ok keeping for depth.

Rakitic is not even that great a back up, is a player could probably get a good fee for and is not getting any younger.

Would rather the back up spots go to players with some redeeming features that are more versatile or younger players trying to develop into first team players than miss out on potentially 30-40m having him on bench.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Rakitic is not even that great a back up, is a player could probably get a good fee for and is not getting any younger.

Would rather the back up spots go to players with some redeeming features that are more versatile or younger players trying to develop into first team players than miss out on potentially 30-40m having him on bench.

You still need 2 starters. The team is hardly in a position to replace not only both starting midfielders but also the backup ones.

Ideally yes, you'd want a backup with more upside than Rakitic, who is what he is at this point and perhaps a better manager can squeeze more juice out of his lemon, but he'll still be the same lemon. I just don't think it feasible to replace that many midfielders on a single season, I would much rather boot Arda, Rafinha and Gomes than him.

serghei

What's worse is that we missed a chance to develop a young midfielder. Now we are exposed and need to buy certain quality. Do not have the platform anymore to promote a good player in the first team and invest time in him. Any player who gets promoted in this chaos would feel like he's been dropped in the Invasion of Normandy.

:lol:

We sold David Villa for 2M, Thiago for 20M and Sanchez for 35-40M. You think we going to sale any of those for good money? We don't only suck in buying talent, but also don't know how to sell them.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
True, but you also have to look at the fees these players can command. Rakitic can be sold for up to 40m. in Premier League. Out of the players who are not good enough, Rakitic can bring us to most money.

I have no problem to keep Rakitic as a rotational player. But we need something like 100-120m. for two top midfield signings. And that's not counting a RB and a possible winger in the right.

I guess if you can get that kind of money for him might as well do a clean sweep and deal with lack of depth for a season. Key here is if they can actually get that much for him, big doubt.

What a shitshow they've reduced this midfield unit.

serghei

First thing we need to do is change the management team. Roberto + Lucho + Unzue need to go. New guys brought in. Someone whith experience. Team has reached a cycle end. What the fans were saying in 2013, it's actually true now, in 2017.

Devils

God he was pathetic today.

Looked like a guy who just signed a new contract and is relaxed and happy to collect a fat paycheck. :shakeshead:

First thing we need to do is change the management team. Roberto + Lucho + Unzue need to go. New guys brought in. Someone whith experience. Team has reached a cycle end. What the fans were saying in 2013, it's actually true now, in 2017.

2013 was the end of one cycle. Actually, 2012 was, when Pep left. The 7-0 vs Bayern was the final nail in the coffin. This is the end of another cycle.

CuleLife4Life

What I'd do to trade him in for his 2 Croatian counterparts that play in the capital.

I wouldn't sell him only because he can be a decent squad player. Doubt he'll try to leave anyway. Like someone else said, he seems to like life easy.

Raketa10

I am not defending him, he was awful, but take a look at his average position and tell me how can he be good when he is actually playing fucking RW?!?!?!?!
Put Modric or Kroos in this position and see how it goes...

image1.jpg

Last edited:

Sneer

Banned
I am not defending him, he was awful, but take a look at his average position and tell me how can he be good when he is actually playing fucking RW?!?!?!?!
Put Modric or Kroos in this position and see how it goes...

View attachment 7134

I pointed something similar out on Neymar's thread. . .
Himself and Rakitic were restricted far too wide to the flanks. . .
Tactics last night was embarrassing!

Neymessi

Honestly he should have never been bought. He was always mediocre,always. He gave us more than he was capable us in the treble season by defending a lot but thats about it. The reason he isn't as bad as our other midfielders is because he defends well.

If you consider purely attacking,he is average. No idea why we rejected kroos and went for him. Buying him and him doing fine in the treble season set into motion a series of mediocre buys in midfield with our board thinking it will work. It was a disaster and our mid has sucked for years now. Go all out for verratti as first priority. If that doesn't work go all our for coutinhio.

The opposition restricts the supply to MSN and we look worse than barca b. Balance is needed. No more average buys. Everyone knows the main problem is our midfield. Get it sorted.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Honestly he should have never been bought. He was always mediocre,always. He gave us more than he was capable us in the treble season by defending a lot but thats about it. The reason he isn't as bad as our other midfielders is because he defends well.

If you consider purely attacking,he is average. No idea why we rejected kroos and went for him. Buying him and him doing fine in the treble season set into motion a series of mediocre buys in midfield with our board thinking it will work. It was a disaster and our mid has sucked for years now. Go all out for verratti as first priority. If that doesn't work go all our for coutinhio.

The opposition restricts the supply to MSN and we look worse than barca b. Balance is needed. No more average buys. Everyone knows the main problem is our midfield. Get it sorted.

well calling the statistically best attacking midfield creator in La Liga before he joined Barca an always mediocre player doesn't really give much weight to the rest of the post you wrote.

Home of Barca Fans