Ivan Rakitić

Stric

Rakitić excels when he plays as an attacking midfielder, just like Fabregas. And Thiago. And Rafinha. And Iniesta. And Sergi Roberto. How many times are we going to go through this? We're looking for someone to rotate with Xavi, and again we buy a player who excels at attacking displays. FFS, for the NT he's played more as a winger than as a CM.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
The problem I have with signing Rakitic for Cesc is that our midfield won't have that many starting calibre players. We'll have depth and utility, but actual starters? Busquets, Iniesta are world-class... I guess Xavi can put in a shift if he's well rested and is still one of the best at what he does, but who will rest him? Rafinha is very promising but in my opinion not ready to start yet, Mascherano is a fairly solid DM for Argentina but I don't know he would do for us, Song is pretty good if he gets played as a box-to-box but we have yet to see if that will happen, and Roberto and Rakitic seem to both be utility men. What do we do if Iniesta gets injured (as happens quite frequently)? Play Rafinha and pray? Start Rakitic? Even Rakitic's biggest supporters have to admit that there is a huge drop off in quality from Iniesta to him.

Cesc, meanwhile, has arguably the best vision on the planet, puts in a lot of goals, and brings quality. This season, he lost his starting spot to Iniesta after winter break, who finally got back into form, and then Cesc got handfuls of appearances, some at false nine, some at left wing, some as a midfielder in a weird 4-4-2, some as a CM to rest Xavi... of course he's going to be inconsistent! It would be much better to keep him and tell him to just play CM, and organize a 3-man rotation between him, Xavi and Iniesta, with the two in the best form starting the big games, and then Rafinha providing the competition and depth and utility. Now, we have two starters and 3 bench players, with a clear distinction between them. Could it work? Maybe. Is it an improvement to the team? I can't see it being one.

Ursegor

World Champion
Bp9p6WmCMAAnoXI.jpg

DinhoR10

Iniesta can do everything cesc can and more which is why cesc would never have been a starter, rakitic atleast brings height and defensive ability along with his creative side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazp

Iniesta is 30 though, so we will soon need to replace him as well. On paper losing Thiago and Cesc and keeping Xavi 35 and Iniesta 30 looks dumb and stupid. That's why most journalists think it's madness. I don't mind losing Cesc, but I wanted a WC player as a replacement.

SeloBarca

Rakitić excels when he plays as an attacking midfielder, just like Fabregas. And Thiago. And Rafinha. And Iniesta. And Sergi Roberto. How many times are we going to go through this? We're looking for someone to rotate with Xavi, and again we buy a player who excels at attacking displays. FFS, for the NT he's played more as a winger than as a CM.

Thats what ive been saying for a long time. Shitloads of AM, no playmaker CM.

DinhoR10

Iniesta is 30 though, so we will soon need to replace him as well. On paper losing Thiago and Cesc and keeping Xavi 35 and Iniesta 30 looks dumb and stupid. That's why most journalists think it's madness. I don't mind losing Cesc, but I wanted a WC player as a replacement.

By the time iniesta can no longer play up to snuff we will have messi, Suarez and halilovic to take his role.

mazp

I guess they didn't watch any Barcelona games this season after December then :lol:

I agree. But the "perception"is he's fading or not the same as he once was. I guess that happens when your team doesn't win trophies and not playing well. Look at Messi..

DinhoR10

I agree. But the "perception"is he's fading or not the same as he once was. I guess that happens when your team doesn't win trophies and not playing well. Look at Messi..

Only 2008 bandwagon fans would say stuff like that about messi, the man scored 40 goals this season :lol:

If you ask me the only side that can rival us quality wise is Real Madrid and last season even with shit tactics, they had to park the bus to beat us. With good coaching and proper rotation we will be fine.

jamrock

for all the people talking about bench and WC players, look at our midfield back up when we won the last three CL, not many WC players outside the First XI, players that fit the system is more important

DinhoR10

for all the people talking about bench and WC players, look at our midfield back up when we won the last three CL, not many WC players outside the First XI, players that fit the system is more important

We didn't have anyone in 2010 same thing the year before when we lost to inter when we played Keira due to no iniesta, no depth at all :lol:

Home of Barca Fans