Ivan Rakitić

serghei

He makes some mistakes with the delivery from time to time, but I can see him being about as good as Modric. I find them very similar, maybe Modric is a a little on the playmaker side, while Rakitic is more of a CAM -- but also he's pretty damn good in a more retreat role, a la Xavi.

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
He makes some mistakes with the delivery from time to time, but I can see him being about as good as Modric. I find them very similar, maybe Modric is a a little on the playmaker side, while Rakitic is more of a CAM -- but also he's pretty damn good in a more retreat role, a la Xavi.

He always outshines Modric in the NT though. Maybe Mordic is more suited to be a Counterattacking team's CM

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

For me the difference is that Rakitic is more heavy duty while Modric is the nimble maestro. Rakitic is great with spreading passes, long deliveries, set pieces, and shooting. Modric has better footwork, agility, etc.

For this reason, I'd have worried that Rakitic would be more sloppy on the ball. He was in the first game and has shown glimpses of it since then but his improvement in that regard has been very pleasing. He also 'avoids' such issues by making longer passes both on the ground and in the air to low-traffic zones as well as moving into whatever open space is available. Of course, he'll need to continue improving so that he becomes better against the high-pressure suffocating teams that don't afford the amount of space that he favors.

serghei

For this reason, I'd have worried that Rakitic would be more sloppy on the ball. He was in the first game and has shown glimpses of it since then but his improvement in that regard has been very pleasing. He also 'avoids' such issues by making longer passes both on the ground and in the air to low-traffic zones as well as moving into whatever open space is available. Of course, he'll need to continue improving so that he becomes better against the high-pressure suffocating teams that don't afford the amount of space that he favors.

Rakitic has to learn to not give the ball away. He does that sometimes, with no pressure at all -- which makes me wonder, what's gonna happen when there will be pressure. I'm pretty pleased with what I'm seeing so far, as he seems to be more of a playmaker than a CAM. We don't really need a CAM, as much as we need a well rounded CM. He seems to be that well rounded CM and I am glad Lucho is playing him in a less advanced role -- from where we can see in action some of the qualities Cesc lacked when played there.

L

linetty

BuxWuH7CAAE066H.jpg:large

BuxWuFPCUAAsLB8.jpg:large

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Typical football fan*. I love how ignorant people are to think that Barcelona supporters in general are "better" people than RM supporters. These kind of people exist at every club equally.

nope even if he had joined Madrid I would stand by what I said in praise of Rakitic. I don't see the world from Barca glasses although some bias is expected. I say Ronaldo, Di Maria and James are all great players and all play for Madrid

Henry_IB

Banned
nope even if he had joined Madrid I would stand by what I said in praise of Rakitic. I don't see the world from Barca glasses although some bias is expected. I say Ronaldo, Di Maria and James are all great players and all play for Madrid

You somehow managed to be completely oblivious to the point I was trying to make, well done. :banghead: :facepalm1:

Henry_IB

Banned
I got your point but just indicating what you said that not everyone wears their respective club's tinted glasses

:facepalm:

Let's see if I can explain this so you'll understand it.

Your first post: "Typical RM fan" - You generalize the vast majority of the RM fans as stupid and biased as shit.

My first response: Saying that you can't generalize the RM fans simply because 1 RM fan is biased and stupid. I go on to say that this type of behavior of this 1 RM fan is not something restricted to RM fans but is common for quite a lot of football fans and every club has their fair share of them, including Barcelona. Given the context of the topic and the forum you're posting on, your statement seems to indicate that you think higher of Barcelona fans than RM fans. I simply tell you this is false.

To which you respond: "nope even if he had joined Madrid I would stand by what I said in praise of Rakitic. I don't see the world from Barca glasses although some bias is expected. I say Ronaldo, Di Maria and James are all great players and all play for Madrid" - Your response makes no sense and is completely out of context. We're discussing about the fan base of the clubs as a whole, not you in particular. Either you're narcissistic enough to think that you are a representative of all Barcelona fans or you have poor reading comprehension which caused you to miss the point I was trying to make.

When I point that your reply didn't have anything to do with the matter in hand, you reply with: "I got your point but just indicating what you said that not everyone wears their respective club's tinted glasses" - Which is exactly the opposite of what you said in your first post when you suggested all RM fans are biased and stupid.

Home of Barca Fans