Jeremy Mathieu

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He has had two matches where he has made some mistakes and been really good in the other two. I won't worry about him to be honest. He is a very good player who steps up when it really matters and he will do better and learn from these mistakes.

Talking about big matches then you should have watched him against us and RM and Atletico last year where he almost always stood out among the defenders.

Could have had him last summer for 10m, but for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to chase Thiago Silva and then Luiz like a madman instead of signing him for so cheap. That madman was most certainly not the much blamed Zubi IMO who was overruled most of the time on player signings and manager appointment back then(for ex he wanted Valverde or Lucho, but got overruled by Rosell for Tata).

Last edited:

FC B

PSG is individually (not necessarily as a team) the storngest opponent we'll econunter till El Clasico.
I'm sure they won't play against Barca as they did against Ajax and I'm sure our defence will have lots of work to do and thus give us a good chances of seeing our defence taking a good test.

dakt

Not a good game, tried to be cute with flicks and dribbles to keep possession but should have played it simple. But he was solid defensively.

What? He was good. Confidence will come with time. If I'm not mistaken, he had shot or two....

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
PSG is individually (not necessarily as a team) the storngest opponent we'll econunter till El Clasico.
I'm sure they won't play against Barca as they did against Ajax and I'm sure our defence will have lots of work to do and thus give us a good chances of seeing our defence taking a good test.

This season uptil now Athletic/Villareal > PSG

Stric

In my country there's a saying that I'm not sure how to translate exactly, but it's along the lines of "He is more lucky than he is clever." I find that a perfect description of Mathieu. Somehow his errors don't end in a disaster, although they easily could.

BarcaVillain

Thought he was ok yesterday. He got caught at 0-0 and threw himself into a challenge which left us exposed. Maybe I'm being overly critical, he has been excellent for us overall so far.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
He has had two matches where he has made some mistakes and been really good in the other two. I won't worry about him to be honest. He is a very good player who steps up when it really matters and he will do better and learn from these mistakes.

Talking about big matches then you should have watched him against us and RM and Atletico last year where he almost always stood out among the defenders.

Could have had him last summer for 10m, but for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to chase Thiago Silva and then Luiz like a madman instead of signing him for so cheap. That madman was most certainly not the much blamed Zubi IMO who was overruled most of the time on player signings and manager appointment back then(for ex he wanted Valverde or Lucho, but got overruled by Rosell for Tata).

This, I'm not sure where this notion comes from that Mathieu must prove himself against top opposition before we know how good he is when he's looked solid in the top games last season, especially against Real. He had a relatively sloppy game yesterday but has still been one of our best defenders so far and played a not so small part in our clean sheets. Piqué e.g. worries me a lot more than Mathieu.

L

linetty

He was good once again but the guy has obvious problems with clearing the ball cleanly. Gotta work on that because you just can't do it against PSG or RM.

ebc_99

Barca are probably the hardest team to be a CB, they have little protection compared to most teams and nearly always have to deal with counter attacks rather than conventional build-ups.
Even the best would be making mistakes so I don't think Mathieu is doing to bad especially at set pieces so far which has always been a weakness of ours.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to have all star 11 to become a champion. We won CL with Oleguer. Spain won the WC with Capdevilla.
4 games without conceding is down to collective effort and as long as we keep the intensity we'll be good and get by and then some with the Frenchman.

barcanuck

Whine whine whine

Yeah, PSG is such a strong opponent, they'll cash in on the countless mistakes Mathieu makes.
(Has anybody checked their record? 4 draws in 6 league matches is so impressive in Ligue 1, no doubt they'll crush us with ease)

5 official games and we didn't concede one single goal.

Love all the negativity in here!

well said a couple of silly things and all of a sudden he is David Luiz.

Trickykid

Whine whine whine

Yeah, PSG is such a strong opponent, they'll cash in on the countless mistakes Mathieu makes.
(Has anybody checked their record? 4 draws in 6 league matches is so impressive in Ligue 1, no doubt they'll crush us with ease)

5 official games and we didn't concede one single goal.

Love all the negativity in here!
That's Barcaforum for you. A large segment of people seem to be more fond of obnoxious, persistent whining than anything else.

A generation of spoilt fans with an unhealthy sense of entitlement...

PhilS

Pique is not slow, for a CB. Barca has no slow CBs, since Puyol retired. Mathieu is super fast for a CB, which at this club counts for a lot. His passing will improve, we always see passing improvement during a player's first year with this club. Pique and Masch are two of the best-passing CBs for any club, barta is really good, too.

FC B

This season uptil now Athletic/Villareal > PSG

Individually as I have spoken, probably never as long as PSG are run by super rich arabs.
But yes, collectively both Athletic and Villareal have a far better team play than PSG has. PSG is a unfortunate copy of Mierda.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans