Jeremy Mathieu

M

Messi4life

We overpaid by 5m probably... no biggy for a club like Barca.

You mean that every million we can save to avoid over-paying is not important?

Edit: We bought him for over €20 millions which quite waste of money...
I wouldn't mind at all if we came to us for €5-10 millions

2-3 seasons is all we need from him. Yes he was expensive for a 31 year old but quality CB's are not plentiful. We all wanted Benatia or whoever but I firmly believe in Mathieu.

Also we are Barca, we always over pay for players.

Now that he's in the club, I will of course support Jeremy at 110%, but not everything isn't alright unfortunately. We have been screaming for a central defender since Chygrinsky and we got players like him. What do we do during the winter and next summer when we have transfer ban? What do we do if Mathieu go on a long-term injury, Pique underperforming more than Batra and never will be one of the world's best defenders we hope for?

Last edited:

Caps

Now that he's in the club, I will of course support Jeremy at 110%, but not everything isn't alright unfortunately. We have been screaming for a central defender since Chygrinsky and we got players like him. What do we do during the winter and next summer when we have transfer ban? What do we do if Mathieu go on a long-term injury, Pique underperforming more than Batra and never will be one of the world's best defenders we hope for?

After all these years worrying about defence....
Think of Jeremy and whoever at CB, and Mascherano & Busquets as a double pivot in front of them when we need it. Alba at WingBack to cut in with piece should the centre need such help.

For the first time in a long time... I am very comfortable and not nervous about our defending :) Good times.

Kerrybai

I get where you are coming from, but what you are basically saying is why didn't we buy 2 solid CB's. That's certainly a reasonable argument, but it's also unreasonable to write Mathieu off due to his age. Admittedly I have only seen a handful of Valencia in the past years but from I gather from people here and around the web Mathieu is a player worthy of the Barca shirt. Forget his age and price tag, we have a great centre back who should give his 3 good years. It's not Mathieu's fault that a second great centre back was not purchased, unless of course Vermalen manages to find his former Arsenal form.

Pepe Silvia

After all these years worrying about defence....
Think of Jeremy and whoever at CB, and Mascherano & Busquets as a double pivot in front of them when we need it. Alba at WingBack to cut in with piece should the centre need such help.

For the first time in a long time... I am very comfortable and not nervous about our defending :) Good times
I am the same. Feels odd but it also allows me to focus on our midfield and attack, which sometimes seems a bit off (iniesta, pedro, Messi farther removed, etc etc).

Der Kaiser

Edit: We bought him for over €20 millions which quite waste of money...
I wouldn't mind at all if we came to us for €5-10 millions

I think given all the factors at the beginning of the transfer window, overpaying by a small amount (for Barca´s standards) isnt a big deal. We had to buy a defender, Mathieu ticks all the boxes and Lucho wanted him. With Mathieu in the squad, our negotiating power not only now, but in future transfer windows will be much better. I doubt we would have gotten Vermaelen for 10m+bonuses without another CB being signed before that.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
images

Home of Barca Fans