Jeremy Mathieu

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He isnt worldclass it was clear at the moment we bought him. He is strong fast and good at set pieces but lacks everything else. Of course it look good for a time but against a decent team he will fail. He is so easy to trick one step over and he is out. Lucky that cavani wasted so many counters..

One game doesn't change the fact that he was great against the likes of us, Real Madrid the last couple of seasons as a CB.

cro-man

One game doesn't change the fact that he was great against the likes of us, Real Madrid the last couple of seasons as a CB.

He had his bad games with his bad clearnances which could have easy resulted in goals. Of course his speed and his ability in the air helped us very much but still his weaknesses will cost us mark my words. If you want him to be a starter you need a better lb than alba someone who stands beside him and can defend like abidal....

DinhoR10

I think either he or Vermalean should play LB when alves plays or maybe play Bartra at RB instead of Alves when alba plays, might offer more balance wise.

serghei

To all of those who thought Mathieu had a brilliant game, you should watch him closely at PSG's 3rd goal. What stupid thing he does there. We're starting to overrate him big time. BIG TIME.

He's the number 1 resposible for PSG's 3rd goal IMO.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
To all of those who thought Mathieu had a brilliant game, you should watch him closely at PSG's 3rd goal. What stupid thing he does there. We're starting to overrate him big time. BIG TIME.

He's the number 1 resposible for PSG's 3rd goal IMO.

One bad game is not enough to conclude that he is overrated. Let's judge him after some consistent performances against top teams, either good or bad.

Co0ter

He had the bad game with poor clearances but vs PSG he was our best defender- although not perfect. Let's not forget he's a new player and has only been with the team for like two months?! The good he's shown far outshines the bad- he's had some truly fantastic performances. I know it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but he has heart and is committed- that is half the battle. I don't see him getting worse, only improving- even if only just a bit. Happy with his signing, the price was too high but that wasn't his fault. We should have gotten him and a younger, in prime defender like Benatia for example. Benatia, Mathiu, Pique and Bartra...Masch as fifth if needed and competition with Busquets now that Song was gone.

Oh well.

Last edited:

cro-man

He had the bad game with poor clearances but vs PSG he was our best defender- although not perfect. Let's not forget he's a new player and has only been with the team for like two months?! The good he's shown far outshines the bad- he's had some truly fantastic performances. I know it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but he has heart and is committed- that is half the battle. I don't see him getting worse, only improving- even if only just a bit. Happy with his signing, the price was too high but that wasn't his fault. We should have gotten him and a younger, in prime defender like Benatia for example. Benatia, Mathiu, Pique and Bartra...Masch as fifth if needed and competition with Busquets now that Song was gone.

Oh well.

Benatia is slow as hell no way he would be a good signing. If anything was the right decision it was not to buy him. We needed a fast one and thats the reason why our defense looked sometimes very good because we could siop many counterattacks which a player like benatia or pique never could stop. Still mathieu lacks few things which are important to be a worldclass defend and play for barca.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Benatia is slow as hell no way he would be a good signing. If anything was the right decision it was not to buy him. We needed a fast one and thats the reason why our defense looked sometimes very good because we could siop many counterattacks which a player like benatia or pique never could stop. Still mathieu lacks few things which are important to be a worldclass defend and play for barca.

Slow as hell.

Are you serious?

Mathieu is faster then Benatia, but slow as hell? You're making it sound like he's some Mertesacker. Benatia is fast for a CB, faster than most out there.

cro-man

Slow as hell.

Are you serious?

Mathieu is faster then Benatia, but slow as hell? You're making it sound like he's some Mertesacker. Benatia is fast for a CB, faster than most out there.

He played as a wingback once at bayern and he lost almost every battle when he had to run because he was too slow. I heard that he isnt fast but still didnt expect that he is that slow.... Maybe I am wrong saw him for the first time but it looked so slow that i only can think of that....

Andrew M

That's all very well, cro-man, but who is available on the market?

I agree with what you say about Benatia, however. He looked very shaky against cska moscow the other day.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Made great decisions in attack, beasted with physicality and pace and really should've had two assists with those balls across the face of goal. He was a presence in defense too with his awesomeness in 1v1's and aerial duels. I strongly believe he should be starting LB in big games.

F

Flavia

Made great decisions in attack, beasted with physicality and pace and really should've had two assists with those balls across the face of goal. He was a presence in defense too with his awesomeness in 1v1's and aerial duels. I strongly believe he should be starting LB in big games.

He really should. Maybe Lucho has realized that.

Home of Barca Fans